Bellevue Facilities

Doesn't Holmes have Bermuda? They have a nice field.

Yes they do have a nice field! If I'm not mistaken, I beleive it is just natural grass, it's been years since I have been on that field. I know that Coach Trosper did a real good job with over seeing the maintenance of it and making sure that it stayed in good shape.

Tell your AD or whoever to check w/people who know all about Bermuda before they waste alot of money. I have been told by good sources, UK grounds keeper, that Bermuda will not do good this far north. Just a suggestion!

The Holmes field is in great shape in November. Someone there must know how to take care of it. In fact, given some (note I said some) conditions it may even be better than field turf at that time of year. It won't freeze on top as some spots on turf will during sleety rain on a cold night.

It might not look pretty when it is brown but it does the job quite well.

Good point APNW....Holmes field is outstanding even with 2 football and soccer teams playing on it. I for one hope Bellevue gets this done....although they could fix the softball field.. The AD didn't seem to interested in doing that.

Say what you want, Bermuda is great. As everyone has eluded to, the key is proper maintenance. Alot of the places mentioned that have Bermuda, Holmes/Lloyd, the fields are great early season but I wouldn't want to have to play on them late in the season as the fields are torn up.

The consultant in Columbus who grows Bermuda, key word "grows," obvioulsy he knows how to maintain this grass since he does it for a living and has to take the proper time to care for the grass. Getting Bermuda to take is a full time job and alot of work. Good luck. I merely was making a simple suggestion to make sure about the Bermuda before spending alot of money. It's your money not mine, spend it how you wish. We have turf and I am satified w/money well spent.

You're right, the school district is going to spend that kind of money without investigating thoroughly. Give me a break. Bermuda does grow here, check Lloyd, Holmes, etc. and is a wise investment in terms of playing surface. Yes, it does require serious maintenance but it is worth every minute of work.

You give me a break. It was a mere suggestion. I would hope a school dist investigates when spending this kind of money but schools are known to do dumb things. Everyone has their own opinions on the Bermuda, well mine is you can have. The above mentioned schools that have it, their fields are torn up toward the end of the yr, I know, I have played on them at the end of the yr. Is this due to the Bermuda, probably not, but due to the amount of traffic being run across these fields w/pee wee football, soccer, Jv/V football, freshman football and let's not forget the most important organization, the BAND!

You give me a break. It was a mere suggestion. I would hope a school dist investigates when spending this kind of money but schools are known to do dumb things. Everyone has their own opinions on the Bermuda, well mine is you can have. The above mentioned schools that have it, their fields are torn up toward the end of the yr, I know, I have played on them at the end of the yr. Is this due to the Bermuda, probably not, but due to the amount of traffic being run across these fields w/pee wee football, soccer, Jv/V football, freshman football and let's not forget the most important organization, the BAND!

One of the keys here is that due to a creek that backs up from the Ohio and quite often floods, and some additional run-off from a hillside turf is probably not much of an option. Bellevue lost a lot of equiptment that was in a storage building at the end of the field a few years ago. It isn't uncommon to see the track and tennis courts around the field completely underwater at least once a year.

3 pt shooter it doesn't seem like you are giving the school the benefit of doing research.:fight:

Like I already said, it was a simple suggestion. I don't know who brought this Bermuda conversation up, it could have come from so yo-yo off the street.

Bellevue can do what they want, it is no concern of mine. Put Bermuda down in the gym, that's their decision.

I just know what my father was told 10 yrs ago when it comes to Bermuda and it seems like alot of hard work and a full time job for several people, not just one maintenance man who usually does it all.

I'm sorry I even got on this thread.