Open Job: Boone County

This was a situation where we all know even the best coaches couldn’t have a winning record. Boone Co is and has been an inner city school since about 4 years after Ryle opened. We can all appreciate his efforts as a Boone alumni, but he just doesn’t have the athletes in the hallways or coming out. He states his children are 14 and 15, do they go to Boone Co? 

1 hour ago, Breds82 said:

This was a situation where we all know even the best coaches couldn’t have a winning record. Boone Co is and has been an inner city school since about 4 years after Ryle opened. We can all appreciate his efforts as a Boone alumni, but he just doesn’t have the athletes in the hallways or coming out. He states his children are 14 and 15, do they go to Boone Co? 

Coach Warner did an amazing job promoting the program and getting players out. It definitely has more challenges coaching at an inner city school, and coach Warner did a great job. 

However, if a school is an inner city school, does that means there is no chance for success? Is the job harder? Absolutely! But does it mean no chance to be successful just because a school is an inner city school? Not at all.

Sorry I just hate when people say stuff like that. Just because a school is an inner city school, doesn’t mean it can’t be successful. If that was the case then every single inner city school in the state should just fold their football program and give up. Which would be a shame since there are some very successful inner city schools. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Coach Warner did an amazing job promoting the program and getting players out. It definitely has more challenges coaching at an inner city school, and coach Warner did a great job. 

However, if a school is an inner city school, does that means there is no chance for success? Is the job harder? Absolutely! But does it mean no chance to be successful just because a school is an inner city school? Not at all.

Sorry I just hate when people say stuff like that. Just because a school is an inner city school, doesn’t mean it can’t be successful. If that was the case then every single inner city school in the state should just fold their football program and give up. Which would be a shame since there are some very successful inner city schools. 

Which inner city schools are very successful? that's a honest question. 

Maybe people call Central an inner city school but they benefit from being a magnet school. The fact they are also a nursing magnet school keeps the number of female students high. They are also I think a ROTC magnet. 

I don’t know enough about different school’s demographics to say if they are inner city or not. I would guess that any inner city school that is highly successful has some type of advantage that Boone currently does not. 

• Like 1

Are we really labeling the greater Florence area the inner city?  Are the demographics in the school the same as they were 15 years ago? Absolutely not, and I agree there are some extreme lower class areas within the Boone Co High School district .  But I would not call essentially the entire area of Florence the inner city.  Still plenty of respectable middle class or higher areas within that school district.  Now, where those kids go to school may be a different conversation.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Wrong they the Boone County Rebels in the NKYFL.

I think the problem with that statement is simply this - a great number of kids that go through the Rebels program tend to end up at other programs. My understanding is many of the current Cooper kids played for the Rebels when they were younger. 

That being said, the Rebels program is led by some really quality men and women that do a great deal for that community and have put together some quality teams. In this era, it's not easy to be a youth football coach/volunteer....they do a great job. Any departure of kids to other programs is not their fault...sadly, nature of the beast so to speak. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, barrel said:

Which inner city schools are very successful? that's a honest question. 

Maybe people call Central an inner city school but they benefit from being a magnet school. The fact they are also a nursing magnet school keeps the number of female students high. They are also I think a ROTC magnet. 

I don’t know enough about different school’s demographics to say if they are inner city or not. I would guess that any inner city school that is highly successful has some type of advantage that Boone currently does not. 

Sorry I should have stated inner city/low income schools. However to answer your question Mayfield would be considered that and one of the most successful in the state. Then when looking at NKY specifically Lloyd is another example of a school that has been successful and just made the state semifinals two years ago even while in the same district as Beechwood that year. There are even more examples of schools that are more diverse, and economically disadvantaged than what Boone’s population is and yet have found success. 

Being at a diverse, low income school definitely can have more challenges. However, I hate when people act like that means it’s impossible to have success. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigblue96 said:

Are we really labeling the greater Florence area the inner city?  Are the demographics in the school the same as they were 15 years ago? Absolutely not, and I agree there are some extreme lower class areas within the Boone Co High School district .  But I would not call essentially the entire area of Florence the inner city.  Still plenty of respectable middle class or higher areas within that school district.  Now, where those kids go to school may be a different conversation.  

It's interesting to me how Boone County is labeled "inner city" here in NKY. What exactly constitutes an inner-city school? I know my perspective is a little different since I've lived in a big city (Philadelphia) and spent many days working in another big city (New York). But in my mind, Boone is nowhere close to an inner city school and enjoys many advantages that a true inner city school doesn't have. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrosefStalin said:

I think the problem with that statement is simply this - a great number of kids that go through the Rebels program tend to end up at other programs. My understanding is many of the current Cooper kids played for the Rebels when they were younger. 

That being said, the Rebels program is led by some really quality men and women that do a great deal for that community and have put together some quality teams. In this era, it's not easy to be a youth football coach/volunteer....they do a great job. Any departure of kids to other programs is not their fault...sadly, nature of the beast so to speak. 

You are sort of on the right path.  Those that are at Cooper now, played in the BCPWFL.  Not the current version of the Rebels youth football that plays in the NKYFL.

32 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

It's interesting to me how Boone County is labeled "inner city" here in NKY. What exactly constitutes an inner-city school? I know my perspective is a little different since I've lived in a big city (Philadelphia) and spent many days working in another big city (New York). But in my mind, Boone is nowhere close to an inner city school and enjoys many advantages that a true inner city school doesn't have. 

Agreed! 

Inner city school... low-income school... whatever we want to tag BCHS as misses the point.  BCHS is part of Boone County Public Schools.  The school district has mandated districts.  In doing so, it has created a situation at one of its high schools where free and reduced lunch recipients are TWICE the number as that of Conner, Cooper or Ryle.  Why is that ??  That's all BCHS folks have been asking for the past decade and a half.  They have been districted into this situation and they pay the same amount of Boone County property taxes as everyone else.        

9 minutes ago, James Graham said:

Inner city school... low-income school... whatever we want to tag BCHS as misses the point.  BCHS is part of Boone County Public Schools.  The school district has mandated districts.  In doing so, it has created a situation at one of its high schools where free and reduced lunch recipients are TWICE the number as that of Conner, Cooper or Ryle.  Why is that ??  That's all BCHS folks have been asking for the past decade and a half.  They have been districted into this situation and they pay the same amount of Boone County property taxes as everyone else.        

So do you think it should be open enrollment then? And do you think that would help or make it worse for Boone County? I don’t think open enrollment would make things better for Boone County High School.  

Or do you think they should redistrict the lines. Then what should be changed? Should kids that are closer to Ryle or Cooper, have to go to a school further away to make it more fair for Boone? 

I'm truly asking what should be changed that would make it better? 

21 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

So do you think it should be open enrollment then? And do you think that would help or make it worse for Boone County? I don’t think open enrollment would make things better for Boone County High School.  

Or do you think they should redistrict the lines. Then what should be changed? Should kids that are closer to Ryle or Cooper, have to go to a school further away to make it more fair for Boone? 

I'm truly asking what should be changed that would make it better? 

There are no great alternatives.  Open Enrollment would hurt both Boone and Conner.  So, I think you have one or two options that again aren't great.  First, re-district and it will be painful.  But, I have no idea how you can get away with one of your four high schools having twice the free and reduced lunch as others in a county wide system.  Second, close Boone, build a new high school out in the County and spread the Boone County High School population amongst Conner, Cooper, Ryle and New HS.  Admittedly, this is the fantasy option as BCPS has pumped millions into BCHS the past three years.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, James Graham said:

There are no great alternatives.  Open Enrollment would hurt both Boone and Conner.  So, I think you have one or two options that again aren't great.  First, re-district and it will be painful.  But, I have no idea how you can get away with one of your four high schools having twice the free and reduced lunch as others in a county wide system.  Second, close Boone, build a new high school out in the County and spread the Boone County High School population amongst Conner, Cooper, Ryle and New HS.  Admittedly, this is the fantasy option as BCPS has pumped millions into BCHS the past three years.  

To me them having a higher free and reduced population than the other schools is not reason enough to move things around, and or make kids go to schools further away from where they live. While yes Boone County does have a higher free and reduced lunch compared to the other schools in the district. There are other schools in NKY alone that have even more and in some cases a lot higher of a free and reduced population and yet they still have been able to be successful at times. 

I definitely acknowledge that it can make it more challenging. However, Boone is not being given a harder population than some other schools in NKY have always dealt with. Yet for some reason people are more willing to use that as an excuse in regards to Boone, and never really acknowledged it with other schools. Honestly people using those reasons as excuses is the last thing students need to hear people saying. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

To me them having a higher free and reduced population than the other schools is not reason enough to move things around, and or make kids go to schools further away from where they live. While yes Boone County does have a higher free and reduced lunch compared to the other schools in the district. There are other schools in NKY alone that have even more and in some cases a lot higher of a free and reduced population and yet they still have been able to be successful at times. 

I definitely acknowledge that it can make it more challenging. However, Boone is not being given a harder population than some other schools in NKY have always dealt with. Yet for some reason people are more willing to use that as an excuse in regards to Boone, and never really acknowledged it with other schools. Honestly people using those reasons as excuses is the last thing students need to hear people saying. 

Forget NKY, look a things statewide. There are absolutely schools in a tougher spot than Boone in terms of economics that have plenty of success. A family of four can have a household income of over $55k and qualify for reduced lunch...so having a large number of free and reduced lunch isn't necessarily a bad reflection on a school. I think some of the issues Boone is having holding on to their students is a direct result of conversations just like this, that are based as much on opinion and conjecture rather than facts. 

• Like 2