Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Boone County

Featured Replies

On 1/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, En Fuego Hombre said:

19.7% Hispanic at Boone, compared to 14.7% at Jtown. not a huge disparity.

Louisville southern is higher than that I believe! 

  • Replies 142
  • Views 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Years ago, when Ryle High School first opened, and Boone Co. was a top 10 big school football program year in and year out, their late head football coach Owen Hauck told me that down the road, there

  • This is quite possibly the worst job in NKY. 

  • StraightShooter
    StraightShooter

    Coach Warner had a positive impact on many young men at Boone. Kudos for a job well done!

Posted Images

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s impossible but it’s definitely extremely difficult in Boone’s case. I don’t think anyone is telling the kids it impossible or anything like that either. There are a number of factors including student population (I’m not talking numbers here) that make things difficult. 

2 hours ago, barrel said:

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s impossible but it’s definitely extremely difficult in Boone’s case. I don’t think anyone is telling the kids it impossible or anything like that either. There are a number of factors including student population (I’m not talking numbers here) that make things difficult. 

Which are those things you mentioned are all things many schools were dealing with long before Boone started to have to deal with it after Ryle and Cooper were built. Yet other schools have been able to survive it and also some have even found ways to be successful with it. Yet many comments seem to suggest it is hopeless. Which the kids hear all these things, as many of these things are said by people on here but also social media sites like football groups on Facebook, etc. All people are doing though are giving them players excuses for why they can’t be successful, which is the last thing they need to hear. 

Boone is in a six team district which limits the schedule. Three of those teams are going to beat the snot out of them right now and the fourth team has a decent chance to clock them. If you do make it into the playoffs you’ve got a good chance again of getting the snot kicked out of them. If you schedule right you might be able to get to 6-4. That second half of the season getting your head kicked in has an effect. 
 

The only places I’ve ever taught are heavy free and reduced lunch or title one schools. I relate better to those kids. I see first hand what it’s like for students and not just athletes in those household circumstances. Those kids are dealing with a ton more than Friday nights. 
 

If you look at places that succeed the factors they have are very strong community and administration support. They have strong youth/feeder programs. Very few change the narrative of a program that has never really been good or hasn’t been good in a long time. 

Has anyone heard anything? Who's being interviewed? I don't think it's great job but it could be a start for someone.

 

7 minutes ago, KYFootballFanz said:

Has anyone heard anything? Who's being interviewed? I don't think it's great job but it could be a start for someone.

 

AD is very pleased with the list of candidates thus far.  He will not be releasing names of candidates due to privacy reasons which I completely agree with.  

  • Author
10 minutes ago, BOJNJ said:

AD is very pleased with the list of candidates thus far.  He will not be releasing names of candidates due to privacy reasons which I completely agree with.  

I never agree with that, this is a public high school.  As far as I am concerned a lack of transparency is never a good thing.  With all that said, I know a lot of you feel different about this and believe the information should be hidden from students and parents.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or one), especially when the many are paying.

18 hours ago, theguru said:

I never agree with that, this is a public high school.  As far as I am concerned a lack of transparency is never a good thing.  With all that said, I know a lot of you feel different about this and believe the information should be hidden from students and parents.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or one), especially when the many are paying.

A simple information request from literally any adult to a public entity would reveal this information if there are indeed formal interviews on behalf of a public school. If these interviews are informal (as they routinely are) then there is very little you can do but wait.  

I have always been a big believer in, not secrecy or hiding information, but to handle a coaching search professionally. Professionally, to me, does not include input from the general public. General public should have no more say in how a publicly funded police officer applies our laws than how our publicly funded athletic departments select coaches. 

I am incredibly tired of seeing coaching searches bogged down and slowed down because SOOOOOOO many people feel the need to be heard and be involved. Of course, everyone has an opinion and everyone feels they should be heard but where is the line? Take a look at the FAMU coaching search and the debacle that came as a result of "the people paying" demanding strong input on the hire. 

 

1 hour ago, TheGameIsComplicated said:

A simple information request from literally any adult to a public entity would reveal this information if there are indeed formal interviews on behalf of a public school. If these interviews are informal (as they routinely are) then there is very little you can do but wait.  

I have always been a big believer in, not secrecy or hiding information, but to handle a coaching search professionally. Professionally, to me, does not include input from the general public. General public should have no more say in how a publicly funded police officer applies our laws than how our publicly funded athletic departments select coaches. 

I am incredibly tired of seeing coaching searches bogged down and slowed down because SOOOOOOO many people feel the need to be heard and be involved. Of course, everyone has an opinion and everyone feels they should be heard but where is the line? Take a look at the FAMU coaching search and the debacle that came as a result of "the people paying" demanding strong input on the hire. 

 

I’ve always liked the idea of the principal and athletic director having other faculty members and/or other coaches on a committee. 
 

I’ve never understood why current parents are on them. I just find it hard to believe it is all common interests. 

On 1/24/2024 at 11:22 AM, futurecoach said:

I'm literally asking here, can you give me examples of which county schools in a closed district literally would send kids to other schools in their district that are further away from the school closest to them? So you’re saying there are other counties out there that would send a kid say that lives next to Ryle, but make them go to Boone. While a kid lives next to Boone and make them go to Ryle just so to make it more equal in regards to free and reduced lunch? You also keep acting like these free and reduced students are helpless and can’t succeed in classroom or playing field and that is simply not true. I can say that because I have done both taught and coached at schools are are a lot worse off to financially than Boone, and seen they can be successful. Yet some of you act like it is this hopeless situation. 
 

As I have said before one of the worst things people can do in these situations is to give these players, students, etc excuses for why they can’t be successful. Which is what some of you seem to want to do. 

Jessamine county is one of these said counties. Kids that live less than a mile from East Jessamine have to travel across town to go to West Jessamine.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

It’s tougher for low income schools to field a good team when the community itself is uninterested because cleats cost money, pregame meals cost money, rides to school in the summer are hardships, etc. I don’t know many low income schools that are successful and especially if the community buy in isn’t there.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

Is Boone County a low income school? I don't think so. There may be a large free lunch population, but my guess is that the remaining students are not anywhere close to low income.

Boone county is actually top 5 in most financial/economical categories in the state, and either 2nd or 3rd in some very significant categories. Low income is actually the opposite of how I would describe Boone Co's school district. 

  • Author
19 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Is Boone County a low income school? I don't think so. There may be a large free lunch population, but my guess is that the remaining students are not anywhere close to low income.

I don't know what the numbers say but I have a pretty detailed understanding of all the residential areas surrounding Boone County high school and the majority of it "looks" middle to low income to me.  Out on the fringes where Conner, Cooper, and Ryle start drawing students, things look a lot nicer.  

And again everyone, when it comes to Boone County high school probably close to half the students live in either apartments, duplexes/rentals, or extended stay motels. 

11 minutes ago, TheGameIsComplicated said:

Boone County is actually top 5 in most financial/economical categories in the state, and either 2nd or 3rd in some very significant categories. Low income is actually the opposite of how I would describe Boone Co's school district. 

Boone County, as a county and a school district, is definitely not low-income. Boone County High School, though, meaning the demographic of families that specifically attend BCHS is definitely low income; that is precisely what the free lunches figure illustrates. If you take a look at the Dept of Education's data for this school year, among the students currently attending BCHS, 78.22% of them come from families who have low enough household incomes to qualify them for the state's free lunch program. Translation: More than 3 out of 4 kids who go to Boone County High School comes from a family that can't afford to buy them lunch.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.