Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Boone County

Featured Replies

5 hours ago, New Colonel said:

The point is, schools in KY have a really difficult time keeping teachers.  I know this is especially true in NKY, where most schools are scrambling every year to fill numerous jobs.  Many schools are still hiring teachers the week school starts, and many of these teachers bolt across the river into Cincy because it's truly life-changing money when you add it up over a career of 30 or so years.

As a teacher who has recently relocated to NKY from a rural district in central KY, the disparity you talk about may be even more startling than you realize. With a Rank I and multiple years of experience, I saw a 30% increase in my salary. Not to mention the job I interviewed for in NKY had 7 qualified applicants within 3 weeks. Where I left had a similar open position for two years with only 1 qualified applicant (myself).

How does that affect this open position? I think Boone may need to look outside the box and consider calling on young assistants or new, recent HC's from the rural districts in other parts of the state. I think those individuals may find the community support, financial commitment from the district, caliber of player, quality of the feeder programs, etc compares favorably to where they came from. 

Even if Boone is not the premier job it was 15-25 years ago, it could represent a significant step up from the rural districts in Southern and Eastern KY.

  • Replies 142
  • Views 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Years ago, when Ryle High School first opened, and Boone Co. was a top 10 big school football program year in and year out, their late head football coach Owen Hauck told me that down the road, there

  • This is quite possibly the worst job in NKY. 

  • StraightShooter
    StraightShooter

    Coach Warner had a positive impact on many young men at Boone. Kudos for a job well done!

Posted Images

From what I've been told Boone hosted second round interviews with several candidates yesterday and possibly 1  more to come this afternoon. This source is very reliable and told he wouldn't be shocked if something was announced as early as the beginning of Next week.

1 hour ago, burreaux said:

As a teacher who has recently relocated to NKY from a rural district in central KY, the disparity you talk about may be even more startling than you realize. With a Rank I and multiple years of experience, I saw a 30% increase in my salary. Not to mention the job I interviewed for in NKY had 7 qualified applicants within 3 weeks. Where I left had a similar open position for two years with only 1 qualified applicant (myself).

How does that affect this open position? I think Boone may need to look outside the box and consider calling on young assistants or new, recent HC's from the rural districts in other parts of the state. I think those individuals may find the community support, financial commitment from the district, caliber of player, quality of the feeder programs, etc compares favorably to where they came from. 

Even if Boone is not the premier job it was 15-25 years ago, it could represent a significant step up from the rural districts in Southern and Eastern KY.

You are quite correct with the rural districts in KY and the pay.  The same is true in every state.... ridiculously low pay.  

What district did you come from and where are you in NKY?  Hopefully it's a better situation for you and your family here in NKY.

17 minutes ago, New Colonel said:

You are quite correct with the rural districts in KY and the pay.  The same is true in every state.... ridiculously low pay.  

What district did you come from and where are you in NKY?  Hopefully it's a better situation for you and your family here in NKY.

Night and day difference up here. From my experience, top to bottom, NKY is the most passionate about their high schools from an academic and athletic perspective. 

Boone County may be bottom tier for NKY but would be a mid to above average job in every other area of the state.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:02 AM, New Colonel said:

No, I'm not.  Starting salaries area all relatively about the same in NKY, Cincy, Louisville, and Lexington.  It is how one progresses through the salary schedules.  The KY schools give much smaller yearly raises than OH schools in general.  You really start to see this disparity around year 10 of experience.

For instance, my wife works in Kenton County.  She makes what I and many consider a good salary.  She has her Rank I and 15 years experience.  Her good friend has the exact same education (45 credit hours above a Master's Degree) but has spent her career in Cincinnati Public Schools.  Her friend makes 25k and change more than my wife.  

I'll list beginning salaries and max salaries below for some KY schools, and Cincy area schools.  It's really hard to tell someone they could make hundreds of thousands of dollars more over the duration of your career for driving 10-30 minutes further into a neighboring state.  And I miss-spoke when I said Kenton County was the best paying.... Erlanger-Elsmere actually maxes out slightly higher than Kenton County.

 

Kenton County -46,916             86,063 

Erlanger-Elsemere- 42,753      87,586

Ft. Mitchell (Beechwood)- 43,360      75,795

Jefferson County - 47,096.47       95,112.09

Fayette County - 50,085          104,498

Cincinnati Public - 50,199.78        110,972.53

Oak Hills - 46,761         105,211

Forest Hills - 49,011       103,505

Indian Hill - 47,311       115,619

Wyoming City - 46,356      114,962

Princeton City - 48,406      105,282

Loveland City - 45,492       103,949

Sycamore Local - 47,798       106,075

Mason City - 47,999      112,222

Lakota Local - 51,589       107,055

Southwest Local - 45,879       104,595

Norwood City - 46,078       101,529

Three Rivers Local - 44,957       102,704

St. Bernard - Elmwood Place Schools - 45,907      100,995

 

Even the lowest paying district in Hamilton County (Cincinnati) maxes out at 90,154

The point is, schools in KY have a really difficult time keeping teachers.  I know this is especially true in NKY, where most schools are scrambling every year to fill numerous jobs.  Many schools are still hiring teachers the week school starts, and many of these teachers bolt across the river into Cincy because it's truly life-changing money when you add it up over a career of 30 or so years.

So Dixie's coach came from New Richmond, a district flush with cash before the demise of the Beckjord Power Station. As far as schools not having positions filled, that is a dynamic everywhere........and it's not about money. Oh yeah......I had 41 years in education and coaching so I've seen it and dealt with it.

  • Author

Rule 2 reads in part:

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. Additionally this includes a pattern of posts that inflames or incites other posters (i.e. trolling or gaslighting).

In 24/25, Boone will be competing with Scott to make the playoffs. They could create a very competitive schedule and win as many as 7 games if they schedule strategically enough. Young head coaches have to start somewhere. This would be a difficult job, but the obstacles to improving the program and putting together some winning seasons is not overbearing.

1 hour ago, Builder1214 said:

In 24/25, Boone will be competing with Scott to make the playoffs. They could create a very competitive schedule and win as many as 7 games if they schedule strategically enough. Young head coaches have to start somewhere. This would be a difficult job, but the obstacles to improving the program and putting together some winning seasons is not overbearing.

The problem is most teams have a large amount of their schedule filled already. Whoever comes in is going to be kind of stuck with whatever. If they had hired sooner it would have given them a better chance. 

1 hour ago, barrel said:

The problem is most teams have a large amount of their schedule filled already. Whoever comes in is going to be kind of stuck with whatever. If they had hired sooner it would have given them a better chance. 

Year 2 of the scheduling cycle. The schedule is what it is. Tough to change much on a schedule in year 2 of the cycle.

3 hours ago, Builder1214 said:

In 24/25, Boone will be competing with Scott to make the playoffs. They could create a very competitive schedule and win as many as 7 games if they schedule strategically enough. Young head coaches have to start somewhere. This would be a difficult job, but the obstacles to improving the program and putting together some winning seasons is not overbearing.

This should have said "25/26" seasons when the districts change. 

41 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Year 2 of the scheduling cycle. The schedule is what it is. Tough to change much on a schedule in year 2 of the cycle.

I meant 25/26. 

2 hours ago, barrel said:

The problem is most teams have a large amount of their schedule filled already. Whoever comes in is going to be kind of stuck with whatever. If they had hired sooner it would have given them a better chance. 

I meant 25/26. 

51 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Year 2 of the scheduling cycle. The schedule is what it is. Tough to change much on a schedule in year 2 of the cycle.

I’m talking about the next cycle. Many teams are down to just a couple of openings. There is a Google sheet going on the listserv now for 25/26. Also some districts have already drawn for the 25/26 schedule. 

  • Author

I am told there have been some plumes of smoke coming out of Tom's Papa Dino's on Main Street in Florence.

I think we are close to an announcement.

Anyone?

Within the next 24 hrs Boone will have their next head coach I’m told an offer has been made  

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.