Holding

Jumper_Dad

What should the penalty be for offensive holdin  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the penalty be for offensive holdin

• 10 yards
    • 5 yards
    • 15 yards, offense already gets too many advantages.

With more and more games available via streaming I've probably watched more High School football than I have in years. The thing I notice more and more is how many drives die, not due to the defense but, due to offensive holding calls. Additionally, what constitutes what is and isn't called varies greatly from Crew to Crew.

The rule change of not making holding behind the line a "spot-foul" has helped tremendously. The old way a kid would get called for holding 8 yards into the backfield and the team would lose 18 yards. So it's nice that it's just 10 yards from LOS if the foul occurs behind the LOS.

My further question is, is 10 yards too many yards for a Holding Penalty?

To me it seems excessively punitive. I feel as if 5 yards would a better penalty for a Holding call.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

With more and more games available via streaming I've probably watched more High School football than I have in years. The thing I notice more and more is how many drives die, not due to the defense but, due to offensive holding calls. Additionally, what constitutes what is and isn't called varies greatly from Crew to Crew.

The rule change of not making holding behind the line a "spot-foul" has helped tremendously. The old way a kid would get called for holding 8 yards into the backfield and the team would lose 18 yards. So it's nice that it's just 10 yards from LOS if the foul occurs behind the LOS.

My further question is, is 10 yards too many yards for a Holding Penalty?

To me it seems excessively punitive. I feel as if 5 yards would a better penalty for a Holding call.

For many years it was 15 and a spot foul.

Problem with this call is that it can be called on every single play from scrimmage, and officials wait until a team drives the entire field and then flags it, also a hold that has absolutely nothing to do with the play gets called, maybe something on the other side of the field, and this drives coaches nuts, just a little common sense officiating is always nice to see.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Problem with this call is that it can be called on every single play from scrimmage, and officials wait until a team drives the entire field and then flags it, also a hold that has absolutely nothing to do with the play gets called, maybe something on the other side of the field, and this drives coaches nuts, just a little common sense officiating is always nice to see.

This is exactly my feeling with holding calls. Especially when it is called and it doesn’t effect the play at all!

• Like 3

If it’s so egregious it has to be called I get it. But if the holding has no impact on the play a good talking to would be just fine. If it happens over and over again away from the ball then it’s almost a personal foul. Officials talking to coaches was on the NFHS points of emphasis this year. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I feel like it's been called a lot in the games I've watched this year. 

I couldn't find stats on high school, but it's 1 of every 5 penalties called in the NFL.

I wish we had the refs you’ve seen in the high school games you’ve watched then.  Holding occurs on every play, but as long as it’s kept inside the OL’s frame, it’s fine IMO.  The problem I have is when it’s obvious & egregious & a ref is right in front of it…. and just stares with no flag thrown.

• Like 1

I feel like it's a selective call. Take a team from one "basketball region" into the next, and that team is bound to have 3-4 phantom holds. The percentage of times that they occur on 70 yard touchdown runs is curious at the least. Since it truly does happen on virtually every play, it's the number one way for an official to determine the outcome of a game. 

• Like 1