Beechwood Names Jay Volker Head Football Coach

3 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Stepping stone for when Elder comes open????

4 minutes ago, hector607 said:

This is my only worry as a Beechwood alum. If one of these Ohio schools comes calling, is he out? Also, if his brother gets a HC job at the D1 level will he join him?

We certainly can't rule this out but I thought it was a little odd that he bounced around so much, including stops at Moeller and LaSalle, yet he never ended up at Elder.  That one confuses me.

• Like 1

Good news:  Great assistant coach everywhere he has been who is youthful and will coach with a lot of spirit.  He will be able to lean on Hergott and Berger for the Beechwood way to get his sea legs underneath him

Bad news:  There are like three legitimate teams in Kentucky 2A.  So if he doesn't win state, it will be an issue... but that goes for whoever Beechwood hired.  

4 minutes ago, James Graham said:

Bad news:  There are like three legitimate teams in Kentucky 2A.  So if he doesn't win state, it will be an issue... but that goes for whoever Beechwood hired.  

I will add, the margin among those three teams is razor thin so any step back will be something less than a state championship. 

• Like 1

With the hire coming mid March, and his strength and training background, does the new coach implement his own program right away? Does Beechwood have a strength coach already? Small detail but one I’m curious about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

With the hire coming mid March, and his strength and training background, does the new coach implement his own program right away? Does Beechwood have a strength coach already? Small detail but one I’m curious about.

I was told Coach Rash was in the weight room as recently as yesterday, good for Coach Rash for seeing his job to absolute completion.

I am interested to hear about this too and I would think the new coach may tweak the program in his direction but you can't argue with Beechwood's success, they have a lot of men on the field.

Anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I’m pretty sure they have a full time S&C coach so this shouldn’t be a problem 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

His record as a head coach at other locations is really irrelevant.   What I know about football strategy and game planning you can put on the head of a pin and still have room left over for most of War and Peace.  With a decent staff, I could coach Beechwood to at least 2, maybe 3 wins.   I'm sure Volker will do fine.  Beechwood is Beechwood.  They will be good,

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

His record as a head coach at other locations is really irrelevant.   What I know about football strategy and game planning you can put on the head of a pin and still have room left over for most of War and Peace.  With a decent staff, I could coach Beechwood to at least 2, maybe 3 wins.   I'm sure Volker will do fine.  Beechwood is Beechwood.  They will be good,

You are EXACTLY right. People that know football (in this case, Beechwood) KNOW when they see someone that KNOWS football (in this case, Volker).

Places that have revolving door’s, which are a whole lot more than not (let’s say coaching tenures that last at max of a handful of years, and usually less) do so for, not a reason, but reasonS. Conversely, jobs that rarely come open? Also reasonS for that as well, in particular this one right here (only their 4th in almost 50 years).

Others:

- Bardstown (3 or maybe 4 ?? in almost, what, 70 years give or take?)

- Mayfield (3 in almost 60 years).

- Bowling Green (3 in almost 40)

- Highlands (5 in almost 50)

You get the point, well, you and some others out there do, I know.

Andy Reid, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Jim Harbaugh, etc could all be on the same staff(s) and they’d struggle to consistently have .500 seasons or better at half of the programs in this state, one’s like Volker just left in Ohio and all across the country.