Beechwood Names Jay Volker Head Football Coach

On 3/16/2023 at 4:25 PM, theguru said:

We certainly can't rule this out but I thought it was a little odd that he bounced around so much, including stops at Moeller and LaSalle, yet he never ended up at Elder.  That one confuses me.

The Elder part of it aside, this is my guess on how the moves happened.

2015 to LaSalle - Jim Hilvert, Volker's college coach, gets the job at Lasalle and Volker comes back home to be an assistant coach for Hilvert at LaSalle. Speaks very highly of Volker that Hilvert brings him to LaSalle. Two state championships later, Hilvert takes the college job at Baldwin Wallace. New coach at LaSalle but Volker stays.

2018 to Moeller - New head coach Doug Rosfeld. People I know at Moeller told me Rosfeld sought out Volker to be his defensive coordinator. Volker comes on board and Moeller wins the GCL. Rosfeld leaves after one year to go to the Bengals. New coach in. That can very often lead to staff changes.

2019 to Kings - I have no guess on the connection or why Kings, just that there was change at Moeller so he moves to a new job.

2021 to Talawanda - Volker gets the head coach job. Assistant to Head Coach is the big move any up and coming coach is looking for.

4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The Elder part of it aside, this is my guess on how the moves happened.

2015 to LaSalle - Jim Hilvert, Volker's college coach, gets the job at Lasalle and Volker comes back home to be an assistant coach for Hilvert at LaSalle. Speaks very highly of Volker that Hilvert brings him to LaSalle. Two state championships later, Hilvert takes the college job at Baldwin Wallace. New coach at LaSalle but Volker stays.

2018 to Moeller - New head coach Doug Rosfeld. People I know at Moeller told me Rosfeld sought out Volker to be his defensive coordinator. Volker comes on board and Moeller wins the GCL. Rosfeld leaves after one year to go to the Bengals. New coach in. That can very often lead to staff changes.

2019 to Kings - I have no guess on the connection or why Kings, just that there was change at Moeller so he moves to a new job.

2021 to Talawanda - Volker gets the head coach job. Assistant to Head Coach is the big move any up and coming coach is looking for.

Beechwood is a very nice job but do you think this is a stepping stone for him to a head coaching  job at a bigger school in the Cincinnati area?

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Beechwood is a very nice job but do you think this is a stepping stone for him to a head coaching  job at a bigger school in the Cincinnati area?

Possible. If he stays for 3 years, it will take an offer he can't refuse to leave. He will love Beechwood, Ft. Mitchell and kids he is working with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Possible. If he stays for 3 years, it will take an offer he can't refuse to leave. He will love Beechwood, Ft. Mitchell and kids he is working with.

Plus he will make a deep playoff run every year.

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Will he love it though if he doesn’t win at the level that is expected? Beechwood has been on an amazing run. If he comes in as an outsider and fails to win a state title, and or even fails to make the title game in his first few years. Would he still love it then, when he most likely would then be getting a lot of heat being an outside guy and not winning at the same level as they were under the previous coach?

I would say how much he loves it there will come down to how successful he is. If he isn’t winning titles, the pressure he probably would feel from people may not make that a job to love. 

Which I say that as a compliment to Beechwood. Beechwood, Highlands, etc. Is like UK basketball in it’s the best job in sports as long as you are winning as the level that is expected. If you are not though, it can also be one of the hardest and most stressful jobs to have. 

14 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Will he love it though if he doesn’t win at the level that is expected? Beechwood has been on an amazing run. If he comes in as an outsider and fails to win a state title, and or even fails to make the title game in his first few years. Would he still love it then, when he most likely would then be getting a lot of heat being an outside guy and not winning at the same level as they were under the previous coach?

I would say how much he loves it there will come down to how successful he is. If he isn’t winning titles, the pressure he probably would feel from people may not make that a job to love. 

Which I say that as a compliment to Beechwood. Beechwood, Highlands, etc. Is like UK basketball in it’s the best job in sports as long as you are winning as the level that is expected. If you are not though, it can also be one of the hardest and most stressful jobs to have. 

Good points fc.  I am old enough to remember when some of the natives were not satisfied with Coach Rash, although I think it had more to do with administrative decisions than it did with Coach Rash. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Good points fc.  I am old enough to remember when some of the natives were not satisfied with Coach Rash, although I think it had more to do with administrative decisions than it did with Coach Rash. 

Most of the really good coaches I've been around, the external pressure is minimal compared to the internal pressure they put on themselves.  Some coaches laugh about it. Some want to fight. But, at the end of the day, nothing like their own personal expectations... which sometimes can approach unrealistic. 

I wish Coach Volker and the Tigers all the best!

• Like 5

G. Michael Graham of LINKNKY just published an article about Coach Volker, some highlights as I see it:

I think it’s a next marriage. It has to be the perfect fit between a coach and a teacher into a district. But then the district has to have that exact same fit with that coach and teacher as well. I think everything just kind of worked out perfectly for me. I also believe being a great educator and having a lot of people at the different places that I’ve been before explaining how good of an educator I am and how much I care for student-athletes is kind of the last thing that hit a home run for me here. - Coach Volker

“Jay is a very relentless and very passionate coach that cares deeply about all of his players,” Minter said. “He’s the most football-hungry person I’ve ever been around.” - Michigan Defensive Coordinator Jesse Minter

Volker said he plans to retain a number of the assistants on Rash’s staff. The Tigers tried to be balanced offensively making opponents defend the entire field. Volker said he’d love to run the 3-4 defense with the 4-2-5 personality. But schemes will depend on the personnel.

https://linknky.com/sports/football/2023/03/21/volker-takes-over-state-power-beechwood-football-team/

==============

The more I learn the more I like Coach Volker.

• Like 4

Is Volker a teacher? 

Curious how they are going to find a spot for him as both Rash and if Goetz is a teacher + plans on staying, in the building. 

If that’s the case, that tightens the spot for Volker and whoever the new basketball coach will be if not already in the building. 

Not even considering new guys Volker/ new basketball coach plans on bringing in with a teacher spot. I’m assuming most of the football staff will remain in place. 

5 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Is Volker a teacher? 

Curious how they are going to find a spot for him as both Rash and if Goetz is a teacher + plans on staying, in the building. 

If that’s the case, that tightens the spot for Volker and whoever the new basketball coach will be if not already in the building. 

Not even considering new guys Volker/ new basketball coach plans on bringing in with a teacher spot. I’m assuming most of the football staff will remain in place. 

Biology teacher is what I saw somewhere.

• Like 1