Beechwood Names Jay Volker Head Football Coach

9 minutes ago, Gotigas said:

How do we feel about this tiger faithful?!?!

Excited! I trust Beechwood leadership. One spot on the resume that is not high level accomplishment but when you look at everything else, this looks like a very good hire. Character is first at Beechwood and Coach Volker has that in abundance. I asked people I know where he has coached and they all rave about him as a person and as a coach. I love having a young up and coming coach at the helm. His defensive coaching background is a great fit for Beechwood. This is going to be a fun, exciting new era at Beechwood.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gotigas said:

How do we feel about this tiger faithful?!?!

For me, the talent in the locker room gives anyone a fighting chance at success. You start there.

Taking this fella’s name out, anyone following Rash was going to have a big uphill battle. His success was legendary and undeniable. New fella will have the support of the incumbent staff from what we’ve all heard, so that should help and give him a leg up. But that could also be a hindrance if he wants his footprint on his program. Will be interesting to watch unfold. Biggest factor for me will be can he handle the internal workings and expectations of the job?  Reading past the Wins/Losses, and coming from Elder, should be aware of whats ahead and will handle. 

All you “in the know” folks please let him know he can always put his drinks on my tab at the Saddle. I wish him all the best and hope the banners keep hanging.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Excited! I trust Beechwood leadership. One spot on the resume that is not high level accomplishment but when you look at everything else, this looks like a very good hire. Character is first at Beechwood and Coach Volker has that in abundance. I asked people I know where he has coached and they all rave about him as a person and as a coach. I love having a young up and coming coach at the helm. His defensive coaching background is a great fit for Beechwood. This is going to be a fun, exciting new era at Beechwood.

I agree and to be more precise, other than success as a head coach it looks like a great hire. 

• Like 1

Here's something to think about on Coach Volker. When Doug Rosfeld became the coach at Moeller for the 2018 season he sought out and recruited Jay Volker to be his defensive coordinator. In the three previous years, Moeller had not had a winning season and won one GCL conference game. In 2018 the Crusaders went 6-5 and were undefeated in GCL play. Rosfeld took a job with the Bengals and left after that season and Coach Volker left also. The next 2 years Moeller had losing records and did not win a game in the GCL.

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I was told by multiple people "in the know" that Coach Hergott and Coach Berger intend to stay on for two more seasons.

Hergotts son is a junior now I believe. Which makes sense for departure if that be the case. Berger’s final son graduates this year (Mitchell) so I’m not sure if that would be the reason of his departure or not. 

2 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

And I see no reason that you would make that change if you're Beechwood. If Hergott decided to be done then maybe... the discipline that Beechwood teams usually carry and the athletic ability they always carry... the wing-T would be devastating for most of 2A. 

Yeah would make zero sense to go to a Wing-T with the amount of athletes they have at the wideout positions. 

The best and worst thing about historical success is trying to live up to it. He follows a man who probably deserves a statue on the beechwood campus. The Tiger faithful want to keep the ball rolling, but how much higher can the peak of the mountain get? Rash just graduated a senior class that are 3x state champs in 2A, had the best W/L record in a 3 year span in BHS history at 39-3, and he was one of the intricate parts to a defense that gave up less than an average of 7 points a game in 2 seasons. 

Have to give Volker his time to get his footing. I expect great things from him at BW, because the powers that put him in this place, know a lot more than I ever will dream to know. I suspect a great career out of Volker when he is all said and done at BW, and I hope he makes great young men, not just great football players. 

• Like 2

1. Not many people out there with a quality resume (looking).
2. Amazing connections!

3. Resume has some great stops. 
4. Humility from taking a quick head job. 
5. Support of current assistants will be needed. 
6. Not a bad hire, IMO! 

3 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Stepping stone for when Elder comes open????

This is my only worry as a Beechwood alum. If one of these Ohio schools comes calling, is he out? Also, if his brother gets a HC job at the D1 level will he join him?