2023 Boys' Sweet 16® Bracket

14 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Why does the KHSAA play the finals on the same night as semis?

Seems odd that you’d want to do that.

What is the justification for it?

Didn’t they do Sunday finals a few years ago?

IIRC they moved away from it because the Sunday game was not drawing the crowds they thought they'd get from the extra day.

Just now, theguru said:

For fans I agree, for players I am not fond of two games in one day considering the importance of the second game. 

Agree, and that's the more compelling point to me (although the less practical one, admittedly.  Dollar$, after all).  Two games in one day doesn't, arguably, get you the best team as winner in that it effects different teams differently.  A couple of years ago, one obvious example, E-town had a small, quick team that played 94 feet.  Naturally, that kind of team will fare worse in a 2 games in a day deal than, for example, a team that plays games in the 40s.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

A couple of years ago, one obvious example, E-town had a small, quick team that played 94 feet.  Naturally, that kind of team will fare worse in a 2 games in a day deal than, for example, a team that plays games in the 40s.

Highlands averaged 74 points per game that tournament. They definitely didn't play in the 40s.

• Like 1

Having observed what happened last year, here's my primary issue with what they've done when they swapped back: they changed the times of the semis and the finals on Saturday.

Prior to their move to a Sunday final, the semifinals tipped at 10:00 AM with the second semi to follow (approximately 11:30 AM), and then the finals were at 8 PM.  When they returned to the double Saturday final in 2021, they'd bumped the first tip to 11:00 AM and then the next tipped at 2:00 PM - I don't recall but I'd surmise that was due to COVID restrictions. Finals remained at 8:00 PM.  Then last year, they kept the tip at 11:00 AM for the first semi, adjusted the second semi slightly up to 1:30 PM, but bumped the finals up to 7:00 PM.  Naturally, that all became a rather big issue when the first semifinal went to double overtime, and suddenly the second semifinal didn't end till roughly 3:15 PM, leaving only a few hours between the conclusion of that game and the start of the finals.  Going by the released bracket, they have maintained those times - inexplicably.  So in the process, we've lost a guaranteed two hours on Saturday from the old format, from the first semi tipping an hour later and the finals tipping an hour sooner.  To be blunt, that's dumb and easily fixable.  The second semifinal game is now tipping later due to a hard time of 1:30 PM being set - that too should be fixable to just return to it being roughly an hour and a half after the first game, but really just a set amount of time after.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Having observed what happened last year, here's my primary issue with what they've done when they swapped back: they changed the times of the semis and the finals on Saturday.

Prior to their move to a Sunday final, the semifinals tipped at 10:00 AM with the second semi to follow (approximately 11:30 AM), and then the finals were at 8 PM.  When they returned to the double Saturday final in 2021, they'd bumped the first tip to 11:00 AM and then the next tipped at 2:00 PM - I don't recall but I'd surmise that was due to COVID restrictions. Finals remained at 8:00 PM.  Then last year, they kept the tip at 11:00 AM for the first semi, adjusted the second semi slightly up to 1:30 PM, but bumped the finals up to 7:00 PM.  Naturally, that all became a rather big issue when the first semifinal went to double overtime, and suddenly the second semifinal didn't end till roughly 3:15 PM, leaving only a few hours between the conclusion of that game and the start of the finals.  Going by the released bracket, they have maintained those times - inexplicably.  So in the process, we've lost a guaranteed two hours on Saturday from the old format, from the first semi tipping an hour later and the finals tipping an hour sooner.  To be blunt, that's dumb and easily fixable.  The second semifinal game is now tipping later due to a hard time of 1:30 PM being set - that too should be fixable to just return to it being roughly an hour and a half after the first game, but really just a set amount of time after.

Easily fixable if you wanted what was best for the Tourney.

I've long thought the KHSAA just wants to get things over with rather than run a tourney properly.

The time change that DF mentions is ANOTHER example of this. Let’s get it over with so we can get home!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Highlands averaged 74 points per game that tournament. They definitely didn't play in the 40s.

Right.  Wasn't really intending to draw the comparison between those two teams, just that E-town was definitely the kind of team that wouldn't want to play twice in a day.  I don't think I saw either E-town or Highlands that season, so my observation is a bit remote, we'll say.  heh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG BLACK JACK said:

A lot of these kids play AAU ball so two games in a day shouldn’t, and I don’t believe is, a big deal. 

AAU lacks the physicality, the emphasis of defense and the consistent full speed  effort demanded of a state semi and final IMO. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Easily fixable if you wanted what was best for the Tourney.

I've long thought the KHSAA just wants to get things over with rather than run a tourney properly.

The time change that DF mentions is ANOTHER example of this. Let’s get it over with so we can get home!

I can get behind this theory all day. I remember the year Shelby Valley won the whole thing with Elijah Justice. It was the old style first game early the second game tipped an hour or so after, with 8pm Championship game. Would Shelby Valley had won if the first game goes long, and the tip time for the finals had been moved up? I think the mystic(sic) that goes witht the title is all teams have a shot and it's a true grind to win it all. 

28 minutes ago, Mack The Knife said:

The 2 1/2 hours between tip offs is beyond ludicrous. Some games last year had 45-50 minutes in between.

Agreed. The old way was 1 1/2 hours but that wasn't enough, especially with media timeouts plugged in. I'm sure they are trying to avoid overtime delaying the start of the next game, but two hours feels like the appropriate amount of time.

• Like 1