Predicting the Kentucky 2023 Mr. Basketball Finalists

44 minutes ago, Shotwhisperer75 said:

Great response! Makes sense to me! 

If SOS has to do with it and quality competition your right Owen plays a terribly weak schedule especially it’s district the past few years is very weak and they play all the 31st district teams twice (eats up a lot of schedule with really weak opponents) It’s Shepard to lose.  Myer is the best in the 9th. 

5 hours ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

I have watched him take over majority of the games he has played. Against Walton-Verona in the All 'A' Championship he had 27 at halftime, in the All 'A' State Tournament he had like 90% of his teams points and I believe he scored the first 15 or so. Against Spencer County he had close to 30 in the second half, including about 10 straight points all of of and-1s. 

What games have you watched him play? I am just curious. 

This year, N. Laurel, Collins, Oldham County which he didn't play and the first round of the All A State wide tournament.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BA said:

If SOS has to do with it and quality competition your right Owen plays a terribly weak schedule especially it’s district the past few years is very weak and they play all the 31st district teams twice (eats up a lot of schedule with really weak opponents) It’s Shepard to lose.  Myer is the best in the 9th. 

16 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

This year, N. Laurel, Collins, Oldham County which he didn't play and the first round of the All A State wide tournament.  

I’m just saying if they play 12-15 district games this year and all A games that maybe at least 6-8 regular season games are the high difficulty.  Maybe play all of 29th and a lot of 30th district in regional play knowing you have a D-1 committ last year and this year. Moore is really good don’t get me wrong Those other guys have had a different/difficult road. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, 4 Quarters said:

I agree with everything you state until you get to Moore, trust me I have no dislike for the kid.  I think he is a very nice HS player, very nice.  I've watched him play since he hit the varsity level, just really have never seen him take a game over.  With the OC SOS he should be putting up huge numbers and dominating every night.  It will be interesting to see how he performs at the next level.

Not take over a game? He averages 31 and 11, shoots 65% from the field, 42% behind the arc, and 83% from the line. Looks to me like he takes over nearly night, save for maybe 2 or 3.

I think Frakes said it best in a tweet. And I'm paraphrasing here , but I think the tweet was some like "Reed will get the award, but damn Jacob Meyer."

I couldn't agree more. Sheppard will get it for a number of valid reasons, but for purely entertainment value Jacob Meyer is the best ticket in the state.  49 in the All A finals followed by a 38 point triple-double followed by 58 the next night.  Plus Sheppard's 4 point performance at CovCath while not coming out of the game makes me scratch my head a bit.  Not that 1 bad game should be the killer, but its Mr. Basketball after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the career numbers for Reed Sheppard that @Runcible Owl posted in the North Laurel district title thread. Throw everything else aside and look at those career stats. He is going to be in the state record books in career points, assists, steals and rebounds. Sheppard deserves to win Mr. Basketball. He has arguably the greatest career stats of any player in Kentucky boys basketball history.

On 2/5/2023 at 7:25 PM, Mack The Knife said:

Not take over a game? He averages 31 and 11, shoots 65% from the field, 42% behind the arc, and 83% from the line. Looks to me like he takes over nearly night, save for maybe 2 or 3.

Moore takes over almost every single game he plays in. Even against the top competition in the 8th region, and he also showed it in the All ¨A¨ State Tournament. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DearToday said:

How many of the names discussed in this list will be playing on the big stage? 

Well in my opinion the most talked about on this thread would be Reed Sheppard (North Laurel), Evan Isparo (Covington Catholic), Jacob Meyer (Covington Holy Cross), Teagan Moore (Owen County), and Jerone Morton (George Rogers Clark)

There are only two remaining... 

Reed Sheppard (North Laurel) - Playing in the 13th Region Championship tomorrow night, March 6. 
Jerone Morton (George Rogers Clark) - Playing in the 10th Region Semifinals tomorrow night, March 6. 

The 3 eliminated:
Evan Isparo (Covington Catholic) - Eliminated tonight by Cooper in the 9th Region Semifinals
Jacob Meyer (Covington Holy Cross) - Eliminated by Beechwood in the 35th District Semifinals on February 22
Teagan Moore (Owen County) - Eliminated by Woodford County in the 8th Region Quarterfinals on March 1. 

1 minute ago, 4 Quarters said:

Other than to the winner, this award just doesn't have the prestige it used to have.  Without researching it, can anyone remember who won it last year and where he's at now?

Well I know, but I mean…. I would given where he came from. 

Also, last year was pretty well widely accepted as a down year for talent in the state for senior class.