Predicting the Kentucky 2023 Mr. Basketball Finalists

1 hour ago, The Double Deuce said:

I hope Reed and his dad give you that autograph you're dreaming of!!!

I would venture to say that both will probably be doing a bunch of that now and certainly later when he shows some non believers that he belongs at the college level and potentially the NBA level, might even give you one!

On 1/29/2023 at 1:15 PM, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

And Ipsaro sure did dominate Reed last week and I think the last time they met…..it’s fine if KY wants to give the award to the 2nd best player in the state.  

Isparo is not even the best player in the 35th, but still a great player. Cannot and will not play at the level Meyer or Sheppard will once all is said and done. BTW, not a Meyer fan, but have seen both play, and that's my expert opinion. 😄

• Like 2

I don't really understand the emphasis on head to head results.  That's a data point, but a fairly unimportant one, more about team than individual. Google is telling me that Sheppard had scholarship offers from SEC, ACC, Big 10 and Pac 12 schools, and that Ipsaro had offers from Miami, Bellarmine, Cleveland State, Furman, Radford, Robert Morris, Stetson and Youngstown State. College potential is a different thing than high school performance, but I don't get the sense that's what this conversation is about - it's about 'who is better?".  I've seen them both several times.  Ipsara is really good.  Sheppard is better than that.  Just one opinion, of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojocat said:

I don't really understand the emphasis on head to head results.  That's a data point, but a fairly unimportant one, more about team than individual. Google is telling me that Sheppard had scholarship offers from SEC, ACC, Big 10 and Pac 12 schools, and that Ipsaro had offers from Miami, Bellarmine, Cleveland State, Furman, Radford, Robert Morris, Stetson and Youngstown State. College potential is a different thing than high school performance, but I don't get the sense that's what this conversation is about - it's about 'who is better?".  I've seen them both several times.  Ipsara is really good.  Sheppard is better than that.  Just one opinion, of course.

Totally agree with your assessment, there is a reason Shepherd is going to UK and Ipsaro is going to Miami.

• Like 3

Will this thread every end? Lol, I feel like I just worked an entire day reading all of it, but my personal opinion is that Sheppard 100% deserves the award. He is the first McDonald's All-American in 10 years or so. That there should be enough to earn Mr. Basketball. 

However, it kind of depends on what criteria you are considering when voting. Are you basing it off of high school domination? The overall best basketball player? The best scorer? Or head-to-head. One other thing you have to consider is SOS, talent of teammates, stats against some of the top teams, and wins. 

If you are putting all of this into consideration, I think Sheppard by a good bit. They play a ridiculous schedule, a 4-star recruit, McDonald's All-American, committed to UK, and if you get to watch him play he is on a different level than everyone else. His ability to see the floor, elevate and score over anyone, and the ability to score from anywhere on the court. 

Isparo would be right behind him IMO, however I am not sure if he will even make it out of the regional voting. He is the 2nd most complete player in the running, but we all know that the rest of the 9th aren't the biggest fans of Cov Cath and they might put that into consideration when making their vote. I do not see it fair to take your frustration of a school out on a high schooler. He possesses a lot of similarities as Sheppard, just not on the same level IMO. 

They have a decent case with their other option (Jacob Meyer). He is the best scorer in the state, and last year he was #1 in the nation of ppg according to MaxPreps. While he is a phenomenal scorer I just do not see the rest of his game getting him to Mr. Basketball level if he is the one to makes it out of the 9th. 

If you are going off of pure dominance at the high school level it has to be Teagan Moore. His name is not mentioned here hardly at all, which kind of surprised me. He is committed to WKU, and they seem excited to have him. The only thing that really takes him out of the conversation is his performance against North Laurel, and Owen Counties SOS. He scores over anyone on all 3-levels of the floor, rebounds like no other, and is incredibly efficient from the floor. I feel he has the best ability to take over a game in the state, but still wouldn't put him on the same skill level as Sheppard. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Will this thread every end? Lol, I feel like I just worked an entire day reading all of it, but my personal opinion is that Sheppard 100% deserves the award. He is the first McDonald's All-American in 10 years or so. That there should be enough to earn Mr. Basketball. 

However, it kind of depends on what criteria you are considering when voting. Are you basing it off of high school domination? The overall best basketball player? The best scorer? Or head-to-head. One other thing you have to consider is SOS, talent of teammates, stats against some of the top teams, and wins. 

If you are putting all of this into consideration, I think Sheppard by a good bit. They play a ridiculous schedule, a 4-star recruit, McDonald's All-American, committed to UK, and if you get to watch him play he is on a different level than everyone else. His ability to see the floor, elevate and score over anyone, and the ability to score from anywhere on the court. 

Isparo would be right behind him IMO, however I am not sure if he will even make it out of the regional voting. He is the 2nd most complete player in the running, but we all know that the rest of the 9th aren't the biggest fans of Cov Cath and they might put that into consideration when making their vote. I do not see it fair to take your frustration of a school out on a high schooler. He possesses a lot of similarities as Sheppard, just not on the same level IMO. 

They have a decent case with their other option (Jacob Meyer). He is the best scorer in the state, and last year he was #1 in the nation of ppg according to MaxPreps. While he is a phenomenal scorer I just do not see the rest of his game getting him to Mr. Basketball level if he is the one to makes it out of the 9th. 

If you are going off of pure dominance at the high school level it has to be Teagan Moore. His name is not mentioned here hardly at all, which kind of surprised me. He is committed to WKU, and they seem excited to have him. The only thing that really takes him out of the conversation is his performance against North Laurel, and Owen Counties SOS. He scores over anyone on all 3-levels of the floor, rebounds like no other, and is incredibly efficient from the floor. I feel he has the best ability to take over a game in the state, but still wouldn't put him on the same skill level as Sheppard. 

I agree with everything you state until you get to Moore, trust me I have no dislike for the kid.  I think he is a very nice HS player, very nice.  I've watched him play since he hit the varsity level, just really have never seen him take a game over.  With the OC SOS he should be putting up huge numbers and dominating every night.  It will be interesting to see how he performs at the next level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4 Quarters said:

I agree with everything you state until you get to Moore, trust me I have no dislike for the kid.  I think he is a very nice HS player, very nice.  I've watched him play since he hit the varsity level, just really have never seen him take a game over.  With the OC SOS he should be putting up huge numbers and dominating every night.  It will be interesting to see how he performs at the next level.

I have watched him take over majority of the games he has played. Against Walton-Verona in the All 'A' Championship he had 27 at halftime, in the All 'A' State Tournament he had like 90% of his teams points and I believe he scored the first 15 or so. Against Spencer County he had close to 30 in the second half, including about 10 straight points all of of and-1s. 

What games have you watched him play? I am just curious. 

21 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

No, Shepherd was recruited by Major Conferences and Ipsaro was recruited by Mid Major Schools.  Figure it out.

Trust me his Dad playing at Kentucky has a lot to do with recruitment and offers received. Wish him the best where ever he goes and that he thrives at the D1 level.

4 hours ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Great response! Makes sense to me!