Predicting the Kentucky 2023 Mr. Basketball Finalists

So I was having a conversation last night with a die hard long time KY HS Basketball fan from Central Kentucky. We started chatting about finalists for 2023 Mr. Basketballl. He is a Sheppard fan like the rest of KY and I was telling him how Cov Cath held him to 1 point outside of a 3 pointer with under a minute left last week and that Ipsaro outshined him in a major way. I proceeded to tell him that Evan Ipsaro is the best player in the state on one of the top teams in the state. 

After giving him about a 100 examples of why Ipsaro is the best in the State, including getting robbed the MVP of the King of the Bluegrass in 2022, he rebutted with Jacob Meyer and that Reed Sheppard was the only McDonald All American from KY. Crazy enough I came across an article that basically said the same thing (maybe he was quoting the article). Either way, of all the candidates who are the top 3 candidates in everyone's opinion and why? 

And second, the fact that Reed is a McDonald's All American, mostly due to his performance on a national stage in AAU, is he the best Senior in KY this year? And should it be a foregone conclusion that Reed Sheppard will be 2023 Kentucky Mr Basketball? Is it fair? 

In my opinion Evan Ipsaro is the top player in the state and is most deserving of it hands down. 

Thoughts? 

Here are other considerations from each Region :
• First Region
• Jack McCune , McCracken County 
• Second Region:
• Gerard Thomas , Henderson County –
• Third Region
• Brian Griffith , Owensboro Catholic
• Fourth Region:
• Chappelle Whitney , Warren Central
• Fifth Region:
• Casey Steadmon , Bethlehem
• Sixth Region:
• Keith Robinson , PRP
• Seventh Region:
• Gabe Sisk , Ballard
• Eighth Region:
• Teagan Moore , Owen County
• Ninth Region:
• Evan Ipsaro, Covington Catholic 

• Tenth Region:
• Jerone Morton , GRC
• Eleventh Region:
• Reece Potter , Lexington Catholic –
• Twelfth Region:
• Cayden Lancaster , Pulaski County
• Thirteenth Region:
• Reed Sheppard , North Laurel –
• Fourteenth Region:
• Christian Collins , Breathitt County
• Fifteenth Region:
• Rylee Samons , Pikeville
• Sixteenth Region:
• Zack Otis , Bath County

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shotwhisperer75 said:

And second, the fact that Reed is a McDonald's All American, mostly due to his performance on a national stage in AAU, is he the best Senior in KY this year? And should it be a foregone conclusion that Reed Sheppard will be 2023 Kentucky Mr Basketball? Is it fair? 

In my opinion Evan Ipsaro is the top player in the state and is most deserving of it hands down. 

Thoughts?

Sheppard's commitment to UK definitely gives him a leg up in the voting. 

• Like 1

That's a really good list.

My top three:

Sheppard: The one player in the state clearly getting the most national publicity, and it's deserved.

Ipsaro: If it's possible, he's the most underrated elite player in the state.

Potter: The best player on one of the best teams in the state with excellent scoring and rebounding numbers and solid shooting percentages against a tough schedule. He can really bolster his case tonight with a huge game against Great Crossing.

4 hours ago, Shotwhisperer75 said:

So I was having a conversation last night with a die hard long time KY HS Basketball fan from Central Kentucky. We started chatting about finalists for 2023 Mr. Basketballl. He is a Sheppard fan like the rest of KY and I was telling him how Cov Cath held him to 1 point outside of a 3 pointer with under a minute left last week and that Ipsaro outshined him in a major way. I proceeded to tell him that Evan Ipsaro is the best player in the state on one of the top teams in the state. 

After giving him about a 100 examples of why Ipsaro is the best in the State, including getting robbed the MVP of the King of the Bluegrass in 2022, he rebutted with Jacob Meyer and that Reed Sheppard was the only McDonald All American from KY. Crazy enough I came across an article that basically said the same thing (maybe he was quoting the article). Either way, of all the candidates who are the top 3 candidates in everyone's opinion and why? 

Thoughts? 

Here are other considerations from each Region :
• First Region
• Jack McCune , McCracken County 
• Second Region:
• Gerard Thomas , Henderson County –
• Third Region
• Brian Griffith , Owensboro Catholic
• Fourth Region:
• Chappelle Whitney , Warren Central
• Fifth Region:
• Casey Steadmon , Bethlehem
• Sixth Region:
• Keith Robinson , PRP
• Seventh Region:
• Gabe Sisk , Ballard
• Eighth Region:
• Teagan Moore , Owen County
• Ninth Region:
• Evan Ipsaro, Covington Catholic 

• Tenth Region:
• Jerone Morton , GRC
• Eleventh Region:
• Reece Potter , Lexington Catholic –
• Twelfth Region:
• Cayden Lancaster , Pulaski County
• Thirteenth Region:
• Reed Sheppard , North Laurel –
• Fourteenth Region:
• Christian Collins , Breathitt County
• Fifteenth Region:
• Rylee Samons , Pikeville
• Sixteenth Region:
• Zack Otis , Bath County

I’m not sure if Ipsaro is the best player in he state, but he surely has out shown Sheppard the last two times they went head-to-head. Last year he outscored Reed 23-18 at BBT, and this year Reed didn’t have a basket until about 10 seconds to go in the game, which came off of a really bad pass by CCH. We’ll see how their next meeting plays out on Feb 10th, but as it now stands, I believe Sheppard will win the award due to his pedigree, the fact he’s going to UK, and comes from a rural town in KY. Unfortunately, it’s not always about who’s best. I’m not ragging on Sheppard; I do think he’s a good kid and an excellent player and I know I’ll be rooting for him when he’s in a Wildcat uniform next year. 

Also, as good as Ipsaro is, I’m still undecided as to who’s the best player in the 9th. Holy Cross’ Jacob Meyer is also crazy good. Both are as good as any two I’ve ever seen in the 9th. 

• Thanks 1

Shepard also gets recognition because of his name and he committed to UK .  Shouldn't it be taken into consideration that Evan ipsarro has out played him everytime they have competed. 

Now, as far as Jacob Meyer... he is on a different level.  Scores in high volumes.  Both he and Evan can completely take over a game and change the outcome.  Not saying Shepard can't... but has he???

Mr Basketball should be between two 9th Region players.. their stats speaks for themselves. 

• Thanks 1