Is Aaron Rodgers Over the Hill?

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Might have to say yes to this question now. Is it even worth trying to return at all at this point?

Just waiting on the official news on the injury at some point today. Bummed as a fan of the NFL.

It's official. Torn Achilles.   I don't see him coming back from this unless he wants to coach soon. 

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

If anyone will pay him, he will try to come back next year.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I don't know the intricacies of his contract but I believe the Jets are already on the hook for a couple more years after this one.

From the Great Google Machine!

$75 million
Rodgers' contract gave him $75 million fully guaranteed, which includes his salary and signing bonus for 2023 and 2024. So, even with the season-ending injury, nothing changed with Rodgers' contract for this season and the next. 33 mins ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

From the Great Google Machine!

$75 million
Rodgers' contract gave him $75 million fully guaranteed, which includes his salary and signing bonus for 2023 and 2024. So, even with the season-ending injury, nothing changed with Rodgers' contract for this season and the next. 33 mins ago.

Interesting.

6 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

He will absolutely play next year if he can walk. He's not giving up that money. 

This year and next are guaranteed for $75,000,000 combined I believe. There is a third year on his contract that is not guaranteed.

He can retire and he's still getting that full $75...Jets cash in their insurance policy on him and no one is hurt.

7 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

This year and next are guaranteed for $75,000,000 combined I believe. There is a third year on his contract that is not guaranteed.

He can retire and he's still getting that full $75...Jets cash in their insurance policy on him and no one is hurt.

Well, with the exception of the insurance company.

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I don't believe that is correct. If he just announced his retirement today, he most certainly would have to pay back some of his guaranteed dollars. Now maybe he never takes another snap in the NFL, but he will be rehabbing as a Jet and get his money for doing so... then officially retire with $75M. 

• Like 1

[When players retire, they not only forfeit future guarantees but they could also be forced to pay back a prorated portion of all bonuses already paid out.

“Zero chance,” one prominent agent told PFN when asked about the likelihood of Rodgers retiring....

If Rodgers remains on the team’s active roster but cannot pass a physical, much, if not all, of his 2024 salary remains guaranteed...]

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aaron-rodgers-injury-why-injured-new-york-jets-qb-seems-unlikely-to-retire/

This somewhat summarizes why Rodgers simply can't announce his retirement and get the full guaranteed dollars. There may be some clauses in the contract we are not aware of, but I look for Rodgers to rehab and reassess where he is late next offseason.

For the most part Rodgers has been pretty durable by QB standards despite taking a lot of sacks.

• Like 2