Bonds blamed failed amphetamines test on teammate

gametime

Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines last season and originally blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News reported Thursday.

When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

"I have no comment on that," Bonds' agent Jeff Borris told the Daily News on Wednesday night.

"Mark was made aware of the fact that his name had been brought up," Sweeney's agent Barry Axelrod told the Daily News. "But he did not give Barry Bonds anything, and there was nothing he could have given Barry Bonds."

Bonds, who always has maintained he never has tested positive for illegal drug use, already is under investigation for lying about steroid use.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether the 42-year-old Bonds perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid distribution case that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. The San Francisco Giants slugger told a 2003 federal grand jury that he believed his trainer Greg Anderson had provided him flaxseed oil and arthritic balm, not steroids.

Under baseball's amphetamines policy, which went into effect last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test. A second positive test for amphetamines results in a 25-game suspension. The first failed steroids test costs a player 50 games.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9921732

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Baseball player, more specifically as a hitter....I've enjoyed watching Bonds over the years, from the Pirates till now.....BUT, I certainly don't claim to be naive and nor should professional athletes assume we fans are.

From the mysterious cream, which was claimed "I didn't know what was in it", to now, just "Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker"....:rolleyes: Please, no one with minimal intelligence, sees a container which has prescriptions and just takes it.

I've defended Bonds for his hitting prowess, but certainly won't for those instances. Although I was born at night, it wasn't last night, Mr. Bonds.

An old swollen horses patoot trying to somehow stay in the game to pass Henry. Poor Sweeney! I'd have a talk with Barry. As a matter of fact, if I had in information on Barry that I hadn't divulged prior, I'd sing like a canary. Oh, how I wish he'd fade into Bolivia like Mike Tyson.:cool:

He has "pro-wrestler" written all over him. He'd make a great bad guy.

I like,,,Malcolm Flex as his new name. Gosh, imagine the pills floating around that locker room. He's liable to grow a new head. Then he could be Malcolm Double Flex.

I think Mark wasn't expecting that bus. How pathetic is it that Barry has to blame someone else for his mistakes? Very. I wouldn't care if I ever heard from him again.

On a side note, Barry is having or has had trouble getting his contract signed because.... the Giants don't want to honor his request to have his posse in the locker room with him. That's all his teammates need. Some more guys like Barry to blame them for something. :rolleyes: