Keenan Burton to decide today

02Ram54

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand how UK can risk their #1 WR and #1 RB in the return game. It baffles me, especially since both have proven to be injury prone.

Brooks is not limited to a 53 man roster.

It's pretty easy to understand considering how good they are. UK isn't good enough to sacrifice potential big plays from their special teams...those guys can make game changing plays in the return game, so they absolutely should be out there, IMO. You have to put your best players out there to give your team the best chance to win...injuries are a risk no matter what. I guess everyone has a different opinion on this issue, but I just think you put your best players on the field and forget about the injuries...if they happen, they happen. You can't play the game worrying about it.

The list of star players who were return men in college is long.
And the list of teams that can afford to lose BOTH their starting RB and WR is short. UK is not on that list, IMO. UK puts a lot of eggs in that return basket, especially since both players have lost time to injury.

I understand why Brooks does it. I'm not an idiot. I just couldn't bring myself to do it if I were in his shoes. They NEED those guys.

And the list of teams that can afford to lose BOTH their starting RB and WR is short. UK is not on that list, IMO. UK puts a lot of eggs in that return basket, especially since both players have lost time to injury.

I understand why Brooks does it. I'm not an idiot. I just couldn't bring myself to do it if I were in his shoes. They NEED those guys.

Well then tell your boy not to bolt ;)

I can see your point. Like I said, everyone has their own opinion on putting stars in the return game.

Here are a few factors in UK's case that leads me to agree with the decision...

Burton and Little are great return men. They are a threat to score on any return. If they don't score, they can give you great field position. The field position is important not only because it puts the offense in a position to put points on the board, but also because UK is suspect on defense. It helps keep the defense in better positions. Also, since UK often has a few swing games (teams like South Carolina) in which they have a reasonable shot at winning, but it's going to be close, those big special teams plays can often make the difference. UK needs those plays to win...they need to have an advantage in special teams and Little and Burton can go a long way toward giving it to them.

I realize if one of them gets hurt on a return, then it's a big loss for the offense, but I think you have to give your team it's best chance for success. And having those two return kicks does that.

I think he wants to go pro, but I think it's in his best interest to stay. With nearly everyone back, Kentucky will likely be in or around the top 25 and hopefully get some more exposure. Plus he's not as good as Dwayne Jarrett, Calvin Johnson etc.

Arguable, IMO.

But I would think it's in his best interest to stay as well.

Which part is arguable?

The part were he could go to the NFL now and be fairly confident of getting some decent cash, or coming back next year breaking a leg and never getting drafted. That is the part that is arguable. That said I think he would be better off risking it and coming back and improve his draft status. But I think the point is debatable. Same goes for Brian Brohm or any Junior that would probably make a team in the NFL this spring.