Comments by Male High's Basketball coach regarding two sport stars.

Gohard

These comments (below) come from Mike Fields' article in the Lexington Herald-Leader this morning. Same old thing in Kentucky, basketball coaches want it all. They are getting threatened by the rise in popularity of football in our state and the decline of basketball.

While it would appear to be a good thing to have guys playing both sports, Male Coach Tom Crews isn't sold on the idea. He'd prefer his basketball players hoop it up year-round. "How could it be a good thing to take five months off from basketball?" he asked. "There are always exceptions, like Beaumont. He's a phenomenal athlete. But even in his case, how much better would he be in basketball if he worked on it 12 months a year?"

The KHSAA will alter the football calendar next school year, starting and finishing a week later. Crews said the change will discourage kids from playing both sports. "The KHSAA is crazy for doing it, and football is shooting itself in the foot," Crews said.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm? I am a fan of multi sport athletes. I have ran into this problem this year. My kids can no longer compete with programs who have football teams and established weight conditioning programs. They have just become too physically strong. I like that basketball in Ky has moved along in that direction. Good topic to discuss I think??

While it would appear to be a good thing to have guys playing both sports, Male Coach Tom Crews isn't sold on the idea. He'd prefer his basketball players hoop it up year-round. "How could it be a good thing to take five months off from basketball?" he asked. "There are always exceptions, like Beaumont. He's a phenomenal athlete. But even in his case, how much better would he be in basketball if he worked on it 12 months a year?"

The football coaches that played against Male need to send this guy a thankyou card. If Beaumont hadn't wasted 5 months of his time each year playing basketball and been in the weightroom nobody would have ever tackled him!

There needs to be something done about Basketball and Baseball in this state. There are so many rules against football like when spring ball can be, when kids are a loud to go full pads, when the first day of practice is and etc.

Basketball and Baseball play all most year round with the school teams and then they take the same teams in AAU. Could you imagine the up roar of basketball coaches if their was an AAU Football team for high school players.

In Kentucky we can not even scrimmage someone for spring ball. In Florida, they have a Ref's clinic where a team can play 4 or 5 teams in a day. It's designed for Refs to practice calling games. Then Florida teams can play in one full game scrimmage. They get 5 or 6 on field scrimmages against teams in the Spring.

If Football has to be punished by scheduling rules in this state basketball and baseball should be as well.

There needs to be something done about Basketball and Baseball in this state. There are so many rules against football like when spring ball can be, when kids are a loud to go full pads, when the first day of practice is and etc.

Basketball and Baseball play all most year round with the school teams and then they take the same teams in AAU. Could you imagine the up roar of basketball coaches if their was an AAU Football team for high school players.

In Kentucky we can not even scrimmage someone for spring ball. In Florida, they have a Ref's clinic where a team can play 4 or 5 teams in a day. It's designed for Refs to practice calling games. Then Florida teams can play in one full game scrimmage. They get 5 or 6 on field scrimmages against teams in the Spring.

If Football has to be punished by scheduling rules in this state basketball and baseball should be as well.

Amen brother "The Golfer".

I have said this for years. Baseball and basketball can practice all year, but not football. And football is still king. A large amount of schools make the majority of their athletic money from football. I never see as many people at a basketball game as I do at football games.

Many basketball coaches believe this way, they only play some football players because thay can not win with out them. If they had a choice they would no let them play at all.

I have noticed a trend in my area where most football players have quite playing basketball, because of the basketball coaches attitude toward football players.

"The KHSAA is crazy for doing it, and football is shooting itself in the foot," Crews said.[/b]

I don't think so. How many football players are going to quit during the season to start basketball? I think he is shooting his self in the foot.

:fight:

The football and basketball coaches across the state and in many high schools are working together more than in the past. Look for more cooperation from both sides in the future. We are fortunate at Mason County to work with Chris O'Hearn as our head basketball coach. Chris and his staff care about kids and support them if they choose to play other sports. Coach O'Hearn is an outstanding coach and our basketball team is one of the best in the state. We are very proud of him, our kids, and team.

I am still hopeful and believe kids will play multiple sports.

If Chris Lofton had chosen not to play football, we would not have been near as successful. Considering he is the top shooting guard in the country, I think it is safe to say playing football didn't hinder his development! ;) In fact, I would argue that football and the weightroom give him an edge in toughness and strength that helps to make him a special player.

From the basketball perspective, had Dustin Grutza decided to focus on football, I doubt if a state basketball championship banner would be hanging in the fieldhouse. If Harry Lewis had also chosen to focus on football, our basketball team would not have been as successful. There are several of these guys over the past 11 years that have had a great experience and made more than one team successful.

I had a young man speak to me today about not being sure about continuing another sport. I told him we would support him in playing any sport he chooses to do. If playing that sport was fun, he should play it. I reminded him that I(the coach) was there for him. Not the other way around. The school board hires the coach to coach the kids. The kids don't "work" for us. If coaches will operate like that, the kids will know they care about them as people, and in the long run, everyone will be more successful.

Historically, football coaches have been very strong in supporting our kids to play several sports. Without a doubt, football has improved by leaps and bounds in KY, and football coaches could probably begin to push the one sport mentality for football. But, that would not be good for kids. It would also be wrong. I also believe that in the long run it would hurt football in this state. Hopefully our football coaches will continue to support our kids in playing other sports.

If you ever get the chance, read some of Bobby Dodd's thoughts on football as being a "game." I am as guilty as anyone in making football life or death. But, Coach Dodd had the right perspective and is one of the greatest coaches of all time. His thoughts would apply to all sports, not just football.

Sorry for the long post. I guess the offseason gives me too much time, especially on a Friday afternoon without a football game to prepare for. But, I am looking forward to watching the basketball Royals in the MCIT the next two nights. :thumb:

ChiefSmoke

ChiefSmoke, I agree. I have heard numberous football coaches tell players they should play basketball and other sports. The problem is (and I don't mean every coach) many basketball coaches discourage this. I am not sure why. As previously stated basketball can help football players, and football can help basketball players.

Good luck to Royals in the MCIT.

Shame on Coach Crews. If anything, student-athletes should be encouraged to play more than one sport.

Also from reading those comments I "assume" Coach Crews thinks the KHSAA is crazy and the football powers that be are are shooting them self in the foot because in his opinion numerous current two sport athletes are only going to play basketball now and give up football because of the extra week conflict for a handful of teams? Also, doesn't this achieve his preference (playing basketball year round) if his assumption is correct? If my take is correct, I think Coach Crews is "nuts." Furthermore, football is making huge strides in this state and the moving back of the finals is out of necessity given the complicated nature of the current football set up. Football is right on target in KY no matter what mud Coach Crews is trying to stick to the wall.

Either way, I agree with GoHard, this is the same old thing in Kentucky, basketball coaches want it all. They are getting threatened by the rise in popularity of football in our state and the decline of basketball.