Comments by Male High's Basketball coach regarding two sport stars.

Gohard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, as a coach of one sport you do not have to be a fan or even support any other sport. But...........as a coach you do have to support the kids (in every thing they do).

:flame:

I agree, but it does not always happen that way in the real world.

I agree, but it does not always happen that way in the real world.

I agree with you as well. That's the problem, we have to many coaches, teachers and administrators for that matter who make all their decisions based on what is best for themselves and not the kids. Face it, to be self-serving is human nature and at one time I would have to say I fell in that catagory as well. However, when you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and come to realize the magnitude of his selfless act for the salvation of all man-kind it really puts how you veiw what is important in life into perspective. I will continue to pray that the people in the positions I named earlier will find a way to put their players/students first. I believe in my heart that kids coming from programs and school systems that make sure their players/students needs are met and put the kids needs first over their own on a regular basis produce positve and productive adults and those communities thrive. I know that their are many coaches in Ky. that are Christians and who show it through the way they deal with their kids everyday. I will continue to hope and pray that as all of you continue to set positive examples through the way you deal with kids, this will become more and more our "real world". With that being said, I want to take this opportunity to speak for everyone who has ever had a coach, teacher ect... influence their lives in a positive way because they always put their players/students needs first and say THANK YOU and God Bless!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

The days of Adolph Rupp running Bear Bryant out of town are over. Football has grown in popularity beyond the trditional b-ball establishments control. The only folks who think KY is still a "Basketball" state are the ones who dont live here. Aside from UK. People could care less about B-ball in this state anymore. With UL becoming a power and UK finally on the right track, plus WKU going D1 and EKU and Georgetown being the consistent winners they are year in and year out. Kentucky is well on its way to being known more for its football. Just imagine what this place would be like now if "The Bear" wouldve stayed.

Sure seems to me that Kentucky is more of a football state over the last 20 years than a basketball state. I don't follow high school basketball that much, but the last Kentucky kid I remember going to the NBA is Alan Houston. While on the NFL side there's been Shaun Alexander, Tim Couch, Jerad Lorenzen, Frank Moreau, Craig Yeast, Jason Dunn, Dennis Johnson, Todd Perry, Billy Lyon, Marty Moore, David Akers, Travis Prentice, Chris Redman, Rashad Holeman, Tony Driver, Dean Wells, and Rob Bironas. Those are the ones I can remember, I'm sure there are more.
Also if youre going all time theres Hall of Famer and Heisman winner Paul Hornung and Dermonti Dawson who played for my Steelers. He should be in the HOF. In 09 you can add Andre Woodson,Keenan Burton,and Jacob Tammeto that list. We may also have the #1 pick in Brian Brohm as well.

These comments (below) come from Mike Fields' article in the Lexington Herald-Leader this morning. Same old thing in Kentucky, basketball coaches want it all. They are getting threatened by the rise in popularity of football in our state and the decline of basketball.

While it would appear to be a good thing to have guys playing both sports, Male Coach Tom Crews isn't sold on the idea. He'd prefer his basketball players hoop it up year-round. "How could it be a good thing to take five months off from basketball?" he asked. "There are always exceptions, like Beaumont. He's a phenomenal athlete. But even in his case, how much better would he be in basketball if he worked on it 12 months a year?"

The KHSAA will alter the football calendar next school year, starting and finishing a week later. Crews said the change will discourage kids from playing both sports. "The KHSAA is crazy for doing it, and football is shooting itself in the foot," Crews said.

This is what the AAU generation has brought upon us.

AAU should be dropped and kids ruled ineligbile for playing it. It represents everything wrong with prep sports.

There is way too much $$ going around for these AAU teams.

Also if youre going all time theres Hall of Famer and Heisman winner Paul Hornung and Dermonti Dawson who played for my Steelers. He should be in the HOF. In 09 you can add Andre Woodson,Keenan Burton,and Jacob Tammeto that list. We may also have the #1 pick in Brian Brohm as well.

I am not sure comparing KY pro players in football with pro players from Ky in basketball is a fair way to compare what kind of sports' state that Ky is:

*There are approximately 360 pro basketball players in the NBA while football has approximately 1,760 pro players in the NFL.

*The NBA has 2 rounds of 30 in its' draft while the NFL draft has 7 rounds of 32.

There are indeed many, many more football pro's from KY but there is much, much more opportunity as well.

I am not sure comparing KY pro players in football with pro players from Ky in basketball is a fair way to compare what kind of sports' state that Ky is:

*There are approximately 360 pro basketball players in the NBA while football has approximately 1,760 pro players in the NFL.

*The NBA has 2 rounds of 30 in its' draft while the NFL draft has 7 rounds of 32.

There are indeed many, many more football pro's from KY but there is much, much more opportunity as well.[/quote/] Youd think that as "Basketbal rich" as this state is supposed to be that we wouldve sent more than 3 to the NBA in the past 20 years.

There are indeed many, many more football pro's from KY but there is much, much more opportunity as well.

I think this is exactly why athletes should play more than one sport and why football is the sport that gives are athletes better opportunities to advance to the next level. It is hard to advance in the hoops world if you are 6 foot, give or take a few inches. You just don't see shorter athletes playing D-1 B-ball let alone NBA. However, there are athletes that are vertically challenged that move on to play D-1 football every year. I have seen many athletes over the last 21 years that could have played D-1 football but they decided to put all their eggs in one basket(literally). I mean playing B-ball 12 months a year and still didn't get any interest from D-1 schools because they were only 6'1" or 6'2". So, (dubbbledribbble) I think you hit it right on the head, there are way more opportunities to advance playing football than there are playing basketball and KY. high school b-ball coaches should explain that to their players and encourage them to play football so they will have a better chance to advance to the next level. Common sense tells us that it is way better for our athletes to play multiple sports and it is that same common sense that tells us it is only the self-centered coaches (know matter what sport they coach) that try to keep athletes from playing a sport different from the one they coach. As coaches we should all do what is best for our athletes not ourselves. Coach Crews and any other coach that thinks like he does needs to re-evaluate their motives for coaching or at the very least re-evaluate their thought process. IMO.