Comments by Male High's Basketball coach regarding two sport stars.

Gohard

The football and basketball coaches across the state and in many high schools are working together more than in the past. Look for more cooperation from both sides in the future. We are fortunate at Mason County to work with Chris O'Hearn as our head basketball coach. Chris and his staff care about kids and support them if they choose to play other sports. Coach O'Hearn is an outstanding coach and our basketball team is one of the best in the state. We are very proud of him, our kids, and team.

I am still hopeful and believe kids will play multiple sports.

If Chris Lofton had chosen not to play football, we would not have been near as successful. Considering he is the top shooting guard in the country, I think it is safe to say playing football didn't hinder his development! ;) In fact, I would argue that football and the weightroom give him an edge in toughness and strength that helps to make him a special player.

From the basketball perspective, had Dustin Grutza decided to focus on football, I doubt if a state basketball championship banner would be hanging in the fieldhouse. If Harry Lewis had also chosen to focus on football, our basketball team would not have been as successful. There are several of these guys over the past 11 years that have had a great experience and made more than one team successful.

I had a young man speak to me today about not being sure about continuing another sport. I told him we would support him in playing any sport he chooses to do. If playing that sport was fun, he should play it. I reminded him that I(the coach) was there for him. Not the other way around. The school board hires the coach to coach the kids. The kids don't "work" for us. If coaches will operate like that, the kids will know they care about them as people, and in the long run, everyone will be more successful.

Historically, football coaches have been very strong in supporting our kids to play several sports. Without a doubt, football has improved by leaps and bounds in KY, and football coaches could probably begin to push the one sport mentality for football. But, that would not be good for kids. It would also be wrong. I also believe that in the long run it would hurt football in this state. Hopefully our football coaches will continue to support our kids in playing other sports.

If you ever get the chance, read some of Bobby Dodd's thoughts on football as being a "game." I am as guilty as anyone in making football life or death. But, Coach Dodd had the right perspective and is one of the greatest coaches of all time. His thoughts would apply to all sports, not just football.

Sorry for the long post. I guess the offseason gives me too much time, especially on a Friday afternoon without a football game to prepare for. But, I am looking forward to watching the basketball Royals in the MCIT the next two nights. :thumb:

ChiefSmoke

Great post, Chief Smoke. Absolutely great.

Frances

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Class A player of the year, Ross Deaton, of Somerset. Dad is head basketball coach at Whitley Co.

...and, because I have a lot to do today, I won't even START writing a response to what Coach Crews said, except that considering his philosophy, why doesn't HE make the choice to coach basketball in COLLEGE where the kids DO generally have to make the choice to play just one sport?

His Dad played football at UK. Mike had been a principal at Pulaski until this year.Mike was All-State in both football and basketball.UK offered him a football scholly but didn't offer a b'ball scholly.

Why would any coach in the country want to be quoted in a newspaper saying something like this ? This could not sit well with the football coaches in the building or with any other coach for that matter. What type of message does it send to the parents of kids who have children playing for him that also play football ?

Not a very smart move on his part, one really has to question what motives this coach had or has with this quote.

There needs to be something done about Basketball and Baseball in this state. There are so many rules against football like when spring ball can be, when kids are a loud to go full pads, when the first day of practice is and etc.

Basketball and Baseball play all most year round with the school teams and then they take the same teams in AAU. Could you imagine the up roar of basketball coaches if their was an AAU Football team for high school players.

In Kentucky we can not even scrimmage someone for spring ball. In Florida, they have a Ref's clinic where a team can play 4 or 5 teams in a day. It's designed for Refs to practice calling games. Then Florida teams can play in one full game scrimmage. They get 5 or 6 on field scrimmages against teams in the Spring.

If Football has to be punished by scheduling rules in this state basketball and baseball should be as well.

The HS coaches can have no dealings with these teams during the school year. If a HS coach even if it is a volunteer coach that is involved with the HS staff, is coaching an AAU team that plays during the school year, you need to report that violation to the KHSAA and get that stopped.

Not sure the KHSAA can stop a parent from taking their child and playing in a league outside of school. Or are you implying that parents should not have that choice?

As far as baseball having an advantage over football, baseball asked for a fall practice like football has spring practice and it was denied and voted down. Football has an advantage there and to my knowledge is the ONLY KHSAA sport that is ALLOWED to have a practice with the HS coaching staffduring their offseason that does not include the summer.

Baseball and Basketball has similar rules on when first day of practice can be and what can be done in the offseason.

The big difference is that it is easy to have a basketball/baseball AAU-type league while it is very difficult to put together a football AAU league.

The HS coaches can have no dealings with these teams during the school year. If a HS coach even if it is a volunteer coach that is involved with the HS staff, is coaching an AAU team that plays during the school year, you need to report that violation to the KHSAA and get that stopped.

Not sure the KHSAA can stop a parent from taking their child and playing in a league outside of school. Or are you implying that parents should not have that choice?

As far as baseball having an advantage over football, baseball asked for a fall practice like football has spring practice and it was denied and voted down. Football has an advantage there and to my knowledge is the ONLY KHSAA sport that is ALLOWED to have a practice with the HS coaching staffduring their offseason that does not include the summer..

Who coaches the team is not the point. I have seen 8th grade and down teams that have played together for years. OJ Mayo has played with same team since he was in 3rd grade. Can you tell me that that did not make a difference in that team, like 5 players on that team are being recruited nationally. So, it is not just that one great player was on the team. They have had the same AAU coach for years.

Baseball has the school team, then they have summer leagues, then they have fall leagues. Many times these teams consist of many of the same players, just a different coach. And most of the time the summer coach is the same for years, and the fall league coach is the same for years.

You also have baseball clinics and basketball camps on top of that.

Football has summer camps, and a 10 days of spring practice.

I am not saying we need a summer football league, but there is more opportunity for year around participation for baseball and basketball then for football.

Who coaches the team is not the point. I have seen 8th grade and down teams that have played together for years. OJ Mayo has played with same team since he was in 3rd grade. Can you tell me that that did not make a difference in that team, like 5 players on that team are being recruited nationally. So, it is not just that one great player was on the team. They have had the same AAU coach for years.

Baseball has the school team, then they have summer leagues, then they have fall leagues. Many times these teams consist of many of the same players, just a different coach. And most of the time the summer coach is the same for years, and the fall league coach is the same for years.

You also have baseball clinics and basketball camps on top of that.

Football has summer camps, and a 10 days of spring practice.

I am not saying we need a summer football league, but there is more opportunity for year around participation for baseball and basketball then for football.

But the things you list are NOT school teams and are NOT involved with the KHSAA. How do you expect the KHSAA to monitor the spring basketball league at Sports of All Sorts in NKY?

I do believe that there was some sort of proposal that went in front of the assembly two years ago about AAU teams and if memory serves it was defeated.

I cannot see, legally, how you can rule my child ineligible because of things they did outside of school that did not involved any school personnel or facilities. I can see you saying they cannot practice on school property or use school equipment but that hinders the rurals only. Rural areas that a lot of times the ONLY gym in the county is on school property.

That is 10 days of practice in the spring that none of the other sports have. Summer is pretty much a wash for all as football can practice and attends 7 on 7 camps.

There needs to be something done about Basketball and Baseball in this state. There are so many rules against football like when spring ball can be, when kids are a loud to go full pads, when the first day of practice is and etc.

Basketball and Baseball play all most year round with the school teams and then they take the same teams in AAU. Could you imagine the up roar of basketball coaches if their was an AAU Football team for high school players.

In Kentucky we can not even scrimmage someone for spring ball. In Florida, they have a Ref's clinic where a team can play 4 or 5 teams in a day. It's designed for Refs to practice calling games. Then Florida teams can play in one full game scrimmage. They get 5 or 6 on field scrimmages against teams in the Spring.

If Football has to be punished by scheduling rules in this state basketball and baseball should be as well.

There is no rule that says a HS team can't become the team of a club other than their HS coach can have nothing to do with the team.It does seem that basketball has a hand up but they follow all the rules same same as football does. If there was enough interest, a football club could be started and nothing could be said. Basketball is also the sport better suited for year round play. Baseball and football could be done the same way but no one has decided to do it. I don't think football has a gripe. No one has stepped up and tried as far as I know to get a club team started. Don't get me wrong I love high school football as much as anyone else, but maybe someone needs to give it a shot and see how the year round football would go.

There is no rule that says a HS team can't become the team of a club other than their HS coach can have nothing to do with the team.It does seem that basketball has a hand up but they follow all the rules same same as football does. If there was enough interest, a football club could be started and nothing could be said. Basketball is also the sport better suited for year round play. Baseball and football could be done the same way but no one has decided to do it. I don't think football has a gripe. No one has stepped up and tried as far as I know to get a club team started. Don't get me wrong I love high school football as much as anyone else, but maybe someone needs to give it a shot and see how the year round football would go.

Just wanted to give an accurate definition of HS coach.

That is paid or unpaid HS coach. You have a community member that is with the team at practices, sits and keeps stats or serves in some sort of volunteer role with the team.

That is freshmen, JV or V coach.

That is the girls' varsity basketball coach cannot take the boys' varsity basketball team.

I will say that the HS coach can take the MS players that HAVE NOT BEEN on the HS team and take them to a league, coaching them for it.

But the things you list are NOT school teams and are NOT involved with the KHSAA. How do you expect the KHSAA to monitor the spring basketball league at Sports of All Sorts in NKY?

I do believe that there was some sort of proposal that went in front of the assembly two years ago about AAU teams and if memory serves it was defeated.

I cannot see, legally, how you can rule my child ineligible because of things they did outside of school that did not involved any school personnel or facilities. I can see you saying they cannot practice on school property or use school equipment but that hinders the rurals only. Rural areas that a lot of times the ONLY gym in the county is on school property.

That is 10 days of practice in the spring that none of the other sports have. Summer is pretty much a wash for all as football can practice and attends 7 on 7 camps.

I'm not saying the KHSAA should stop AAU or fall ball. I am only saying that baseball and basketball have more of a chance to play year around. To say 7on 7 camps are the same as AAU and Summer baseball and Fall baseball is not very valid. To start with 7 on 7 does not include the whole team, and playing 30 or more basketball games does not compare to 5 7 on 7 scrimmages. I believe this is why the KHSAA allows spring football practice.

This is a great idea. Baseball has batting cages, I think we should also start a business and have a tackling cage/blocking cage, this would be wonderful.

:laugh:

Football should start and end a week earlier. Cut out the 3-4 seed in the playoffs and everything would be solved