2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

The proposed alignment of moving LCA out of the district with Danville and Somerset will give those schools a sigh of relief.  However, it also means that with the sister district pairings that whomever is #2 in that district could be facing Beechwood in the second round each year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

2023 DRAFT FOOTBALL ALIGNMENT

Class 1A

1- Ballard Memorial, Caverna, Fulton County, Russellville

2- Bethlehem, Campbellsville, Holy Cross (Louisville), Kentucky Country Day

3- Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, Newport Central Catholic

4- Bishop Brossart, Holy Cross (Covington), Ludlow, Trimble County

5- Berea, Eminence, Frankfort, Sayre

6- Fairview, Nicholas County, Paris, Raceland

7- Lynn Camp, Middlesboro, Pineville, Williamsburg

8- Harlan, Hazard, Paintsville, Pikeville

Class 2A

1- Caldwell County, Crittenden County, Mayfield, Murray

2- Edmonson County, Fort Campbell, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central

3- Clinton County, Green County, Metcalfe County, Monroe County

4- Fort Knox, Lexington Christian, Shawnee, Washington County, WEB DuBois**

5- Beechwood, Bracken County, Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County, Walton-Verona

6- Breathitt County, Danville, Leslie County, Somerset

7- Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg

8- Betsy Layne, East Ridge, Pike County Central, Shelby Valley

Class 3A

1- Hancock County, Hopkins County Central, McLean County, Trigg County, Union County, Webster County

2- Adair County, Butler County, Franklin-Simpson, Glasgow, Hart County

3- Central, Christian Academy-Louisville, Elizabethtown, LaRue County

4- Casey County, Garrard County, Marion County, Mercer County, Rockcastle County

5- Bourbon County, Lexington Catholic, Lloyd Memorial, Pendleton County

6- Bath County, East Carter, Fleming County, Lewis County, Russell, West Carter

7- Bell County, Clay County, Knox Central, McCreary Central

8- Belfry, Estill County, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Morgan County, Powell County

Class 4A

1- Allen County-Scottsville, Calloway County, Hopkinsville, Logan County, Paducah Tilghman, Warren East

2- Bardstown, Breckinridge County, John Hardin, Nelson County, Thomas Nelson

3- DeSales, Doss, Jeffersontown, Valley, Waggener, Western

4- Franklin County, Henry County, North Oldham, Shelby County, Spencer County, Western Hills

5- Covington Catholic, Grant County, Harrison County, Holmes, Mason County

6- Ashland Blazer, Boyd County, Greenup County, Johnson Central, Rowan County

7- Boyle County, Lincoln County, Russell County, Taylor County, Wayne County

8- Corbin, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, Whitley County

Class 5A

1- Apollo, Graves County, Madisonville-North Hopkins, Marshall County,  Muhlenberg County, Owensboro

2- Bowling Green, Grayson County, Greenwood, Ohio County, South Warren

3- Atherton, Butler, Fairdale, Iroquois

4- Bullitt Central, Moore, North Bullitt, Seneca

5- Anderson County, Collins, Scott County, South Oldham, Woodford County

6- Boone County, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Highlands, Scott

7- East Jessamine, Madison Southern, Montgomery County, West Jessamine

8- Harlan County, North Laurel, Pulaski County, South Laurel, Southwestern

Class 6A

1- Christian County, Daviess County, Henderson County, McCracken County

2- Barren County, Central Hardin, North Hardin, Warren Central

3- DuPont Manual, Meade County, Pleasure Ridge Park, St. Xavier

4- Bullitt East, Fern Creek, Male, Southern

5- Ballard, Eastern, Oldham County, Trinity (Louisville)

6- Campbell County, Great Crossing, Ryle, Simon Kenton

7- Henry Clay, Lafayette, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Tates Creek

8- Bryan Station, Frederick Douglass, George Rogers Clark, Madison Central

**- Not eligible for district postseason competition until at least 2024

Withdrawn from District - Jackson County, Phelps,

Hate this new alignment.  Multiple stacked districts and far more travel than current districts.  I would much rather it stay the same than to turn to this. 

My expectations for this format:
1A - Every title will be District 8, District 2 or 3 are only ones with a chance outside

2A - Mayfield v Beechwood; no change there

3A - District 1 and District 3 are going to beat themselves up; still District 3 on top of it with CAL

4A - Corbin, Boyle, Johnson Central, and Cov Cath will cake walk to the semis while District 1 kills each other in the regular season (Hop, Logan, PT, Warren East... Poor CC and ACS)

5A - District 1 another gauntlet that always ends with Owensboro on top... District 2 also a fist fight

6A - District 3 is loaded

Not a fan... let's just stick to where we are until Lexington/Louisville create 3 or 4 more schools and Hop/Christian combine

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

Hate this new alignment.  Multiple stacked districts and far more travel than current districts.  I would much rather it stay the same than to turn to this. 

My expectations for this format:
1A - Every title will be District 8, District 2 or 3 are only ones with a chance outside

2A - Mayfield v Beechwood; no change there

3A - District 1 and District 3 are going to beat themselves up; still District 3 on top of it with CAL

4A - Corbin, Boyle, Johnson Central, and Cov Cath will cake walk to the semis while District 1 kills each other in the regular season (Hop, Logan, PT, Warren East... Poor CC and ACS)

5A - District 1 another gauntlet that always ends with Owensboro on top... District 2 also a fist fight

6A - District 3 is loaded

Not a fan... let's just stick to where we are until Lexington/Louisville create 3 or 4 more schools and Hop/Christian combine

Corbin, Johnson, Boyle, and Cov Cath won’t be able to cake walk to the semi’s. They’ll be too busy taking each other out in the region. Those four will likely play every year in the third round to decide the two teams that make it from the east. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DearToday said:

Corbin, Johnson, Boyle, and Cov Cath won’t be able to cake walk to the semi’s. They’ll be too busy taking each other out in the region. Those four will likely play every year in the third round to decide the two teams that make it from the east. 

I misspoke so I apologize for the round; but essentially the same argument of repetitive football each playoff... 5 and 6 teams in a district will take away from games that could be competitive.  Muhlenburg has 5 almost guaranteed losses each year.  No offense to them, they aren't the only one in that situation.  They are starting the season with 5 losses... 4 team districts and they can schedule competitive games with those other two weeks and give themselves a chance to win.  Todd County, Calloway County, Conner County, Collins County are all in the same boat.  It is hard enough to get kids to come out and play; even harder when their set up to fail.

7 minutes ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

It is hard enough to get kids to come out and play; even harder when their set up to fail.

Generally speaking, with six classes and four teams per district making the playoffs I don't know how anyone could argue that some teams are set up to fail. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BillNye said:

That 4A district 1 should be super competitive, however, I am wondering how long Hopkinsville stays in the equation with their merge pending.

I think that's why Christian County, who should be in 5A, was placed in 6A. They are expecting the new school to be 6A (which is obviously will) and then Hopkinsville will just fall away from that 4A district.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, theguru said:

Generally speaking, with six classes and four teams per district making the playoffs I don't know how anyone could argue that some teams are set up to fail. 

I guess that depends on what one considers failure. There are times with certain districts it is brutal. It might be a small amount of districts but I believe there are some out there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barrel said:

I guess that depends on what one considers failure. There are times with certain districts it is brutal. It might be a small amount of districts but I believe there are some out there. 

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, theguru said:

Yes a legit football program will easily compete; not arguing there at all.

But what about the teams will no depth?  What about the teams that have no business getting smashed by their district 5 out of 10 games?  If you took over at Muhlenburg and you are down kids; yes 5A doesn't mean you have 80 on the sideline.... How do you get more kids or try to get competitive when you are at BEST .500 if you win every nondistrict.  How do you convince kids to come out and join?  I am not trying to be an jerk; I am literally asking.  There are so many teams on down rosters and your telling Muhlenburg that they have to win two district games (Apollo, Graves, MNH, Marshall, Owensboro) when they have won 1 in four years?  How do you build with that?  

No I don't think every team should make the playoff like 1A and 6A, but atleast they can use it as a recruiting tool in the halls.  "We were 7-4 and made the playoffs," is going to get a kids interest even if you went 0-3 in district and scheduled competitive games nondistrict.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how you slice it; the top teams will win in the playoffs. I get that.  As a fan of the sport; I would rather watch 34-24 and get on KHSAA and see 28-21 scores... 56-6 with running clocks each week is not going to build the sport and bring kids back out.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

Yes a legit football program will easily compete; not arguing there at all.

But what about the teams will no depth?  What about the teams that have no business getting smashed by their district 5 out of 10 games?  If you took over at Muhlenburg and you are down kids; yes 5A doesn't mean you have 80 on the sideline.... How do you get more kids or try to get competitive when you are at BEST .500 if you win every nondistrict.  How do you convince kids to come out and join?  I am not trying to be an jerk; I am literally asking.  There are so many teams on down rosters and your telling Muhlenburg that they have to win two district games (Apollo, Graves, MNH, Marshall, Owensboro) when they have won 1 in four years?  How do you build with that?  

No I don't think every team should make the playoff like 1A and 6A, but atleast they can use it as a recruiting tool in the halls.  "We were 7-4 and made the playoffs," is going to get a kids interest even if you went 0-3 in district and scheduled competitive games nondistrict.

Withdraw from district play. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

It doesn't matter how you slice it; the top teams will win in the playoffs. I get that.  As a fan of the sport; I would rather watch 34-24 and get on KHSAA and see 28-21 scores... 56-6 with running clocks each week is not going to build the sport and bring kids back out.  

I think there should be a competitive factor honestly. If you’ve won a state championship during the realignment period then you are moved up a class regardless of how many boys you have in your schools. I’ve seen other states take this route. Maybe it’s an answer or maybe it’s not.

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment