2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

9 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

4Aย As many suspected, if this draft holds, 4A will see a big shift from the last cycle ~ย 

Moving up:

New District | School

D1 Tilghman

D2 Bardstown, Nelson Co., Thomas Nelsonย 

D3 DeSales

D4 Henry Co., Western Hills

D5 Mason Co.ย 

D6 Ashland, Greenup Co.

Moving down:ย 

New District | School

D2 Breckenridge Co.ย 

D3 Doss, Jeffersontown, Westernย 

D5 Cov Cath, Grant Co.ย 

D7 Taylor Co.ย 

D8 Whitley Co.

โœ“ For Cov Cath fans, the chance to renew some old down state playoff rivalries - Tilghman, Ashland, and Johnson Central.

Among interesting new challenges - DeSales, Franklin Co., Mason Co., Boyle Co., and Corbin.ย 

I kinda like it.

* If not listed, no slight intended.

Screenshot_20230117-023736__01.jpg

Taylor Moving up 4A, were 3a.

Edited by theguru

12 hours ago, GOREDDEVILS said:

I saw that West Carter did indeed request to play up from 2A.

Not 100% of what the issue is with West Carter?

The 2019-2020 Draft Alignment had West Carter listed 3A District 6 (w/ 2A Enrollment). They ended up playing in 2A District 8.

The 2023-2026 Draft Alignment has West Carter listed 3A District 6 (w/ 2A Enrollment). I believe that West Carter will end up playing 2A District 7 (FCC, KCC, Martin Co., P-Burg).ย 

West Carter has had a lot of success staying 2A. Playing in 2A District 7 this alignment will be less travel than the previous alignment and allows them to stay playing teams in EKY.ย 

Also, I noticed that their was no response listed under theย 2023 FOOTBALL REALIGNMENT โ€“ RESPONSES FROM MEMBERSHIP ON CLASS BOUNDARIES on the KHSAA website. Maybe there is some kind of mix-up?

6 hours ago, HedgeHog8 said:

Out of curiosity, why do you believe dropping district games is the better choice? And is the beechwood situation with bracken any different?

Back when Bracken County was in a district with Beechwood and Newport Catholic in the early 2000's, they should not have been in district play. ย I can say it did have people question whether football would ever be successful in Brooksville.

I think it is different because while Bracken County cannot compete with Beechwood and Walton Verona, they can still compete with other district opponents, Gallatin County, Owen County, and Carroll County. ย 

Bracken was 5-6 in 2021 and 7-3 in 2022. ย They have an opportunity to schedule so they have a chance to win 4-6 games.ย 

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

It didn't end their program when they were in a district with Highlands and Cov Cath.ย 

Correct. ย But that was only 2 seasons. ย Pendleton still had a few wins in 2011 and 2012. ย But I think their situation now is different. ย Not saying they shouldn't have a football team because I think they should. ย I just think it is hard to grow a program losing 11 games a year and not being competitive in them for a rural school like Bracken and Pendleton.

I do know Pendleton and Bracken will be playing in 2023.ย 

6 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

1. Did Bracken drop out of District play after this '07 season?ย 

Screenshot_20230117-085041__01.jpg

2. Pendleton followed its last winless season in '08 by going 7-4.ย 

The Wildcats dropped out in 2013 and 2014 to no appreciable benefit in the following years - 1-9, 2-8 ...ย 

A team can only take "The Grant County Pill" once I think. The Braves have done it, what, twice now, and again to what end. A "We're just losers, and that's never going to change, so why try?" is toxic to a program's stakeholders. Bad message to send to the youth in one's community.

3. Bracken and Pendleton both started playing in 2003 and the Polar Bears have one more playoff win than the Wildcats - which is to say they have won exactly one playoff game, ever. Why would you feel the need to weigh in on what they should or shouldn't do.

4. Lastly, why do you dislike what other schools in "The 10th" are doing withย their football programs? You had a lot to say against Mason County putting in a turf field too, didn't you?

5. If I've read your other posts, you run a 10th Region focused website, right? If I'm looking for news upriver, why would I ever, ever go there for honest, unbiased news on what's happening in your area? Seems like you're just slip hating on everything non Bracken.

Sounds like that upset you, so I will try to respond to your rambling one at a time.

1. I think Bracken County jumped into district play too soon before building the program was ready and it showed.

2. That was 15 years ago. ย Times have changed.

3. ย I am just giving my take that Bracken and Pendleton are historically comparable programs. ย Started around the same time, same demographics, etc. ย When Bracken was losing 11 games a year in the early years and playing in the district it did almost end their program. ย It's hard to get kids to play. ย Bracken should not have been playing district then and should have been looking for more competitive games. ย So, I suggested Pendleton should do the same for 2 or 4 years now.

4. I loved that Mason County got a new turf field and that is awesome for their program.

5. ย Are you referring to the Ohio or Licking River? ย Lol. ย Checkout the latest rankings for 10th Region.  I have Mason County at #1 and "my" Bracken County Polar Bears at #7. ย  If you would like to help me cover the 16 schools I would love to have you on as a sportswriter. ย We are always looking for extra help. ย Send me a message!

From the KHSAA:

KHSAA Media Advisory: Football Alignment/Realignment Information

Members of the media may want to have access to the documents surrounding the football realignment that were shared with the member schools yesterday afternoon.

All football alignment/realignment information, including draft alignment maps of each class, a 2023-2026 district scheduling grid, enrollment/membership numbers used for football classification and important reminders for 2023-24 and beyond, can be found on khsaa.org: https://khsaa.org/football-alignmentrealignment-information/

The listed draft of teams will be considered at the Jan. 18, 2023, Board of Control meeting in Lexington. The meeting is open to the public and is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. ET (work session) and 11:30 a.m. (full Board of Control meeting).

4A; 9 Districts 4 Teams with a Few 5 Team Districts
*Top 2 Playoff Spots
*Rest by RPI
ย  ย +Schedule competitive TOUGH games and win; more likely closer game in playoffsย 
ย  ย -Schedule competitive EASIER games and win; risk not making the playoffs but build your program.
-Less Travel For Most
-More Flexible Schedules for Non District
ย 

Map.png

5A: 11 District 3-4 Teams Each
*Top 2 District Playoffs
*Rest By RPI

*All pluses from 4A redraw carry over to this one as well.

Again, I know that makes the rules different in different classes; but I don't think they have to be the exact same since the playoffs don't interfere.

1 minute ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

5A: 12 District 3-4 Teams Each (I forgot to number the Apollo area)
*Top 2 District Playoffs
*Rest By RPI

*All pluses from 4A redraw carry over to this one as well.

Again, I know that makes the rules different in different classes; but I don't think they have to be the exact same since the playoffs don't interfere.

ย 

map.png

16 hours ago, brooksville said:

Back when Bracken County was in a district with Beechwood and Newport Catholic in the early 2000's, they should not have been in district play. ย I can say it did have people question whether football would ever be successful in Brooksville.

I think it is different because while Bracken County cannot compete with Beechwood and Walton Verona, they can still compete with other district opponents, Gallatin County, Owen County, and Carroll County. ย 

Bracken was 5-6 in 2021 and 7-3 in 2022. ย They have an opportunity to schedule so they have a chance to win 4-6 games.ย 

Correct. ย But that was only 2 seasons. ย Pendleton still had a few wins in 2011 and 2012. ย But I think their situation now is different. ย Not saying they shouldn't have a football team because I think they should. ย I just think it is hard to grow a program losing 11 games a year and not being competitive in them for a rural school like Bracken and Pendleton.

I do know Pendleton and Bracken will be playing in 2023.ย 

By your metric, PC has 3 unwinnable games in district and BC has 2 unwinnable games in district (even though those games still have to be played). The difference I submit is that PC has the opportunity to schedule 7 other opponents of whatever competition level they choose for the program. Whereas BC only has 5 opportunities to choose their opponents.ย 

All I'm saying is that if the four team district makes it an easier pill to swallow due to the freedom to schedule other games. Conversely, being in a six team district does the opposite, and forces BC to win at least 2 district games to make the playoffs now with only 5 games of freedom to schedule.

For the record, I'm in favor of making each district at least 5 teams so that you must win to get in, in all classes. However, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, And PC has been in 6 and 5 team districts respectively the last 2 alignments.

I would submit that BC has no tougher a situation than PC, but time will tell. And yes, Pendleton goes to Brooksville for Game 1 in '23.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Killowatt59 said:

Warren Central jumping from 4A to 6A??

South Warren some how staying in 5A??

Hmmmm.

What's the confusion? South Warren was the smallest 6A. Barren County played up, which meant South could drop down if they wanted to.

Warren Central was very clear in their response to the KHSAA - they wanted to drop to 4A if anyone chose to play up to 5A. Since no one played up, Warren Central requested to go to 6A. They believe their program is better suited at this point playing Barren County and the Hardins than playing Bowling Green, Greenwood, and South Warren.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hearsay said:

Anyone have a link to tomorrow's Board of Control meeting?

They don't broadcast anymore. Below is a link to the agenda. If you're on twitter, Jason Frakes from theย Courier-Journalย usually goes and reports so you might be able to follow along with him.

https://portal.ksba.org/public/Meeting.aspx?PublicAgencyID=4374&PublicMeetingID=40314&AgencyTypeID=1

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment