2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

7 hours ago, All State Baseball said:

Estill should petition to get out of Belfry’s district. That’s a 3-4 trip. Swap Estill and Russell. 

2:25 no  where near 3-4. Russell is drafted in the right district.

Russell to owingsville 1hr 12min 74miles

Russell to grayson 0hr 30min 24mi
Russell to Flemingsburg 1hr 24min 72mi
Russell to Vanceburg 0hr 48min 41mi
Russell to Olive Hill 0hr 41min 37mi

2hr 6min 117mi louisa to Irvine

2hr 25min 135mi Belfry to Irvine

1hr 17min 72mi salyersville to Irvine
1hr 11min 68mi West liberty to Irvine

0hr 23min 20mi Stanton to Irvine

1hr 58min112mi Pineville to Irvine

1hr 14min56mi manchester to Irvine

1hr 40min96mi barbourville to Irvine

1 hr 57 min103.6 miles stearns,ky to Irvine.

15 hours ago, theguru said:

Kids (everyone) have so many choices on how to spend their time that the ultimate answer is probably less high school football teams and in some cases (Newport, Dayton, & Bellevue come to mind) less high schools. 

It’s not about being fair it’s about being competitive.

Edited by theguru

4A As many suspected, if this draft holds, 4A will see a big shift from the last cycle ~ 

Moving up:

New District | School

D1 Tilghman

D2 Bardstown, Nelson Co., Thomas Nelson 

D3 DeSales

D4 Henry Co., Western Hills

D5 Mason Co. 

D6 Ashland, Greenup Co.

Moving down: 

New District | School

D2 Breckenridge Co. 

D3 Doss, Jeffersontown, Western 

D5 Cov Cath, Grant Co. 

D7 Taylor Co. 

D8 Whitley Co.

✓ For Cov Cath fans, the chance to renew some old down state playoff rivalries - Tilghman, Ashland, and Johnson Central.

Among interesting new challenges - DeSales, Franklin Co., Mason Co., Boyle Co., and Corbin. 

I kinda like it.

* If not listed, no slight intended.

Screenshot_20230117-023736__01.jpg

I think Pendleton County needs to opt out of district play for the time being until they can build up their program again.  They lost all 10 games by an average of 34 points.

Being in a district with Lexington Catholic, Lloyd Memorial, and Bourbon County could end their program.

1 hour ago, brooksville said:

I think Pendleton County needs to opt out of district play for the time being until they can build up their program again.  They lost all 10 games by an average of 34 points.

Being in a district with Lexington Catholic, Lloyd Memorial, and Bourbon County could end their program.

It didn't end their program when they were in a district with Highlands and Cov Cath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brooksville said:

There are seven more opportunities to compete during the season and an automatic trip to the playoffs given the 4 team district.

Dropping the district only adds three more weeks to freely schedule during weeks that it is already difficult to schedule anyways, and guarantees they won't play postseason. 

Out of curiosity, why do you believe dropping district games is the better choice? And is the beechwood situation with bracken any different?

2 hours ago, brooksville said:

Did Bracken drop out of District play after this '07 season? 

Screenshot_20230117-085041__01.jpg

Pendleton followed its last winless season in '08 by going 7-4. 

The Wildcats dropped out in 2013 and 2014 to no appreciable benefit in the following years - 1-9, 2-8 ... 

A team can only take "The Grant County Pill" once I think. The Braves have done it, what, twice now, and again to what end. A "We're just losers, and that's never going to change, so why try?" is toxic to a program's stakeholders. Bad message to send to the youth in one's community.

Bracken and Pendleton both started playing in 2003 and the Polar Bears have one more playoff win than the Wildcats - which is to say they have won exactly one playoff game, ever. Why would you feel the need to weigh in on what they should or shouldn't do.

Lastly, why do you dislike what other schools in "The 10th" are doing with their football programs? You had a lot to say against Mason County putting in a turf field too, didn't you?

If I've read your other posts, you run a 10th Region focused website, right? If I'm looking for news upriver, why would I ever, ever go there for honest, unbiased news on what's happening in your area? Seems like you're just slip hating on everything non Bracken.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

Yes a legit football program will easily compete; not arguing there at all.

But what about the teams will no depth?  What about the teams that have no business getting smashed by their district 5 out of 10 games?  If you took over at Muhlenburg and you are down kids; yes 5A doesn't mean you have 80 on the sideline.... How do you get more kids or try to get competitive when you are at BEST .500 if you win every nondistrict.  How do you convince kids to come out and join?  I am not trying to be an jerk; I am literally asking.  There are so many teams on down rosters and your telling Muhlenburg that they have to win two district games (Apollo, Graves, MNH, Marshall, Owensboro) when they have won 1 in four years?  How do you build with that?  

No I don't think every team should make the playoff like 1A and 6A, but atleast they can use it as a recruiting tool in the halls.  "We were 7-4 and made the playoffs," is going to get a kids interest even if you went 0-3 in district and scheduled competitive games nondistrict.

You have to make it more about the journey and less about the destination.  It's tough, I get that.  It's up to the coach to sell the program and make it about the brotherhood formed and the memories that are made.  That might sound pollyannish but it's required to make a program work.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

You have to make it more about the journey and less about the destination.  It's tough, I get that.  It's up to the coach to sell the program and make it about the brotherhood formed and the memories that are made.  That might sound pollyannish but it's required to make a program work.  

A lot easier said than done.  That’s why you see the same jobs coming open over and over, while some don’t, and why some coaches jump to those certain jobs if they don’t hire from within, which is usually the case (as they should) (ie: Mayfield, BG, Beechwood, etc).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

Yes, that sounds all well and good and is a great moral idea... but it is not how the world works unfortunately... kids (everyone) want to win.

I think 1A, 2A and 6A are lined up great.  It still gives everyone 7 non district games to schedule competitive football games.  4A and 5A especially need some help.  Why can't different classes have different schedules?  Why can't 4A and 5A have more districts (3 Teams? 4 Teams?)... District winner is guaranteed playoff spot; the rest is RPI rating?  It gives teams more flexibility in scheduling and let's them compete with teams their own talent... If you schedule a micky mouse non district schedule; don't be surprised if you are left out of the playoffs; but if a micky mouse schedule is how you can compete and get kids to play, now you are building and once you have a solid program, now schedule some bigger boys outside of district.

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment