Joe B Hall has passed away

MJAlltheWay24

Favorite Joe B. Coaching Jobs at UK:

1.  1975.  Turned a 13-13 team around from the year before and convinced a team that had been abused by Coach Knight and the Hoosiers earlier in the year that they could play with and beat the 31-0 Hoosiers.  

2.  1976.  10-10 with Robey out for the year.  Carved out 10 straight wins and beat a great Alabama team and UNCC with Cornbread Maxwell on that streak.  

3.  1978.  This team is forgotten among the greatest because there was no super star, NBA type player.  But they beat those type of teams along the way (MSU with Magic, Arkansas with Sidney Moncrief and Duke with Gminski and company)  Plus, still the gutsy call to bench his AA's at half vs FSU and lean on Cowan, Williams and Casey the first 8 minutes of that 2nd half.  If it had failed I think the pressure would have been enough to make Joe leave.  

4.  1979.  To rally that team of 8 players, none taller than 6' 8", and come within an OT of going back to the NCAA tourney was a tremendous feat.  They had to win 4 games in 4 nights to win the SEC and came very close to doing it.  

5.  1985.  That team making the NCAA tourney was controversial.  But they upset Washington (Deltef Schrempf) and UNLV to get to the Sweet 16 and give St Johns a run for their money.  It was a great time to step away from the program and still be young enough to have a great life.

I know that I left off some great ones but Joe was unsung because he only won 1 title.  But he had the horses in '75, '77, '84 to have won it also but it just didn't work out.  

Perhaps the best thing Joe did was embrace Denny Crum in retirement and vice versa.  They were great rivals and even better friends later.

RIP, Coach.

• Like 5

How do you follow Rupp? Think about the pressure and then to have Rupp in the background complaining those first few years about not coaching any more. I could argue Joe B. Hall was as important in UK basketball history as Rupp. He continued to win, got a title and went to 3 Final Fours to ensure the UK coaching job and program are bigger than any one man. He integrated UK basketball. He overcame so many fans that were naysayers and he did it all with class. Nobody ever bled blue more than Joe B. Hall. 

• Like 5

Heard in an interview where a sportswriter said that in the 1978 National Championship season that Hall’s salary from UK was $38,000. And they have him a $10,000 bonus for winning the National title. 
I know times were different back then but that surprised me that he only made what would be much less than a lot of high school coaches make today. 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:21 PM, The Professor said:

Heard in an interview where a sportswriter said that in the 1978 National Championship season that Hall’s salary from UK was $38,000. And they have him a $10,000 bonus for winning the National title. 
I know times were different back then but that surprised me that he only made what would be much less than a lot of high school coaches make today. 

I may be wrong, but doesn't Cal only make 300K from the university now?  All the other monies are from the UK athletics booster and radio/tv?  Its hard for me to believe the HBC at UK only made 38K total in 1978. 

4 hours ago, okie1 said:

I may be wrong, but doesn't Cal only make 300K from the university now?  All the other monies are from the UK athletics booster and radio/tv?  Its hard for me to believe the HBC at UK only made 38K total in 1978. 

Yeah, I agree, he no doubt had perks and other sources of income to add to his base salary. The same interview I heard also said Calipari’s current salary breaks down to about $400,000 per game.