Highlands at Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/2021 at 11:00 PM

In a rivalry series that will play its 75th edition on Friday, it's hard to come by many "firsts" to have taken place between the Cov Cath and Highlands. In a rivalry like that, it may not even be all that common to come up with "seconds." This Friday makes for one of those "seconds" though - it will be the second time in the history of the rivalry where Cov Cath and Highlands have faced off in the first round of the playoffs. To find the last time these two played each other in the first round, you'd have to go all the way back 39 years. Like I'm talking exactly 39 years, down to the date and the kickoff time.

On November 5, 1982 an 8-2 Covington Catholic football team rolled into Fort Thomas hoping to win the school's first-ever football playoff game. Highlands had beaten them 14-7 on September 3rd of that year, but the Colonels were hoping to pull off a playoff upset. Despite taking the playoff game to overtime, Cov Cath lost the game 13-7, and Highlands continued on to beat Franklin-Simpson 6-0 in the 3A state finals.

So, fast forward 39 years, and here we've got two relatively evenly-matched football teams from the same two schools squaring off for the second time this season. The previous game was extremely close...like "came down to a blocked field goal attempt on the second last play of the game" close. This year there's a slight change of situation, though, with Highlands looking to exact revenge for the regular season loss, and Cov Cath hosting the playoff meeting.

So how do things go the second time around??

FBwRx_ZXIAQ1qst.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Wow I remember that 1982 game.  Actually I believe both scores were 13-7 that year.  One could argue that each of those teams were amongst the best in program history. 

As for Friday, here is question number 1.  How are both teams health wise?

I have been around the program for a long, long time and I’m not sure I've heard anyone consider the ‘82 team as the best ever but I think that’s probably for another thread. 

In terms of the game at hand, I am interested to see how Cam Bottom responds to not being the “secret”. Moving him was a game changer for HHS; not necessarily because he made huge plays or honestly did anything that special, but because it allowed the best player in the program, Charlie Noon, to play both sides of the ball. This also allowed for another great player, Sam Robinson, to play his natural spot of LB rather than RB. However, Bottom is not going to be a surprise for anyone anymore and CCH’s defense is above average. How CCH approaches Bottom at QB, Noon as an ATH, and Benke at WR will be interesting. 

The greatest weakness offensively for HHS is still their incredibly nonexistent running game. Hopefully, the bye week has helped that area of the game; not sure if they have even reached 100 years in that department this year besides maybe to SK. 

IMO the defense has really stepped up the last couple of weeks. I still really worry about the backend of the defense. I know CCH isn’t a big passing team but I would still 100% take chances at attacking the HHS DBs; they have been a weakness all year. 

My hope is to see the playbook open up some this week, and going forward, to give some players on the offensive side of the ball opportunities to make things happen. 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I have been around the program for a long, long time and I’m not sure I've heard anyone consider the ‘82 team as the best ever but I think that’s probably for another thread. 

In terms of the game at hand, I am interested to see how Cam Bottom responds to not being the “secret”. Moving him was a game changer for HHS; not necessarily because he made huge plays or honestly did anything that special, but because it allowed the best player in the program, Charlie Noon, to play both sides of the ball. This also allowed for another great player, Sam Robinson, to play his natural spot of LB rather than RB. However, Bottom is not going to be a surprise for anyone anymore and CCH’s defense is above average. How CCH approaches Bottom at QB, Noon as an ATH, and Benke at WR will be interesting. 

The greatest weakness offensively for HHS is still their incredibly nonexistent running game. Hopefully, the bye week has helped that area of the game; not sure if they have even reached 100 years in that department this year besides maybe to SK. 

IMO the defense has really stepped up the last couple of weeks. I still really worry about the backend of the defense. I know CCH isn’t a big passing team but I would still 100% take chances at attacking the HHS DBs; they have been a weakness all year. 

My hope is to see the playbook open up some this week, and going forward, to give some players on the offensive side of the ball opportunities to make things happen. 

I will let others comment on that 1982 team.  Ask around and let me know what you find out.

As for the game, honestly might come down to special teams play.  Highlands has struggled with the return game all year long, but maybe having that extra week to prep has resulted in some “tricks”.

31 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I will let others comment on that 1982 team.  Ask around and let me know what you find out.

As for the game, honestly might come down to special teams play.  Highlands has struggled with the return game all year long, but maybe having that extra week to prep has resulted in some “tricks”.

Trust me I know all about the 82 team. Don’t need a lesson. 

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Fall of 1983, I was a freshman at Centre. Two of my teammates were Doug Spritzky & Les Murray. Awful good guys. 

• Like 4

I said in the prediction thread a few weeks ago when these two teams played. That I thought CovCath would win the first game, and that Highlands would win the rematch in the first round of the playoffs. No reason to change my opinion now. 

Highlands 17

Covcath 14

3C59F8D8-0ACB-4C75-821B-659C831947C0.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I said in the prediction thread a few weeks ago when these two teams played. That I thought CovCath would win the first game, and that Highlands would win the rematch in the first round of the playoffs. No reason to change my opinion now. 

Highlands 17

Covcath 14

3C59F8D8-0ACB-4C75-821B-659C831947C0.png

I guess I have to stick with the Colonels then. 🙂

• Like 2