Thanksgiving Dinner vs. 4th of July Cookout

Randy Parker

Thanksgiving Dinner vs. 4th Of July Cookout  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Thanksgiving Dinner vs. 4th Of July Cookout

• Thanksgiving Dinner
    • 4th Of July Cookout

Just now, Randy Parker said:

Assuming it's your favorite Thanksgiving meal vs. your favorite 4th of July Cookout food...which would you prefer?

It's a tough one for me, but I think I'd go with Thanksgiving Dinner.

Thanksgiving comes with football and generally speaking a slower pace.

8 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

4th of July. Thanksgiving (as a whole) is vastly overrated. 

I’m so glad I’m not the only one. Yes I like gathering with family. Yes I like thanksgiving day football. But the food is so overrated. I’ll take outdoors, grilled burgers, hot dogs and other picnic food over the Thanksgiving scene any day.

• Like 1

Wow. Surprised reading the posts above. This isn't even a discussion for me. Thanksgiving hands down.

If you think 4th of July food is better, I feel sorry for you. The food at Thanksgiving in our family is incredible. Comfort food at its finest.

Second, Thanksgiving is the best family gathering of the year. Better than Christmas because there is no gift drama. Just family, food, football and fun.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Wow. Surprised reading the posts above. This isn't even a discussion for me. Thanksgiving hands down.

If you think 4th of July food is better, I feel sorry for you. The food at Thanksgiving in our family is incredible. Comfort food at its finest.

Second, Thanksgiving is the best family gathering of the year. Better than Christmas because there is no gift drama. Just family, food, football and fun.

No need to feel sorry. Here's what I think. If you're just comparing food, 4th of July wins. You're really hard pressed to find a restaurant that regularly serves Thanksgiving style food. Yet places that serve picnic/cookout style food are all over the place. If Thanksgiving food is so great, why do most of us only eat it one time a year? I feel like everyone links everything else up about the holiday with the food, and thus the food get elevated because of all the other stuff going on that day. 

15 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

No need to feel sorry. Here's what I think. If you're just comparing food, 4th of July wins. You're really hard pressed to find a restaurant that regularly serves Thanksgiving style food. Yet places that serve picnic/cookout style food are all over the place. If Thanksgiving food is so great, why do most of us only eat it one time a year? I feel like everyone links everything else up about the holiday with the food, and thus the food get elevated because of all the other stuff going on that day. 

Trust me, it is the food in our family. I don't know and don't care what outside places do on Thanksgiving. It never enters my mind to even think about it.

50 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Trust me, it is the food in our family. I don't know and don't care what outside places do on Thanksgiving. It never enters my mind to even think about it.

To each his own. Personally, there’s nothing typically served on thanksgiving that I absolutely have to have or look forward to (except maybe yeast rolls and deviled eggs) and I’ve had it prepared by many people (including myself) in many different houses. I enjoy the company, and the atmosphere way more than the food. I won’t argue that it’s a great family gathering holiday. That part I can agree with.

I have never heard anyone say anything about enjoying the leftovers from their July 4th shindig.  Ever.  Yes, the burgers, brats, beans and anything else you may have during that meal may be great, but they are a one-time experience.  Actually, I take that back.  It probably IS a multi-meal experience, because you grill out MORE than just on the 4th of July!  There is likely nothing special that you cook ONLY for the 4th.

Thanksgiving, on the other hand, gives our family an opportunity to eat some food that we may only have once, or at the most, a couple times each year.  And enjoying the leftovers in the following days, allows us to enjoy that experience a little longer.

I agree with @Voice of ReasonThanksgiving wins this battle, hands down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Speaking as the person who has to do all of the cooking for my families Thanksgiving meal, for me it would have a lot to do with the cost and time involved.  We host my wife's side of the family and I usually spend about $200 for the meal.  Plus I start around 8 and we don't eat til about 2.  (Actually I start the night before baking pies)  I can feed the same amount of people burgers and dogs for way less and it takes like 30 - 45 minutes.  I would enjoy Thanksgiving dinner several times a year if it wasn't such an undertaking.