Reds - The way I see it

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Bullpen blows another one. That window is closing. Hopefully the Reds catch on fire in the dog days of August. 

Also, I really hate that rule where each team gets a runner on second in extra innings. Dumb

That loss is on David Bell.  As Mustang would say why the revolving door on the mound.  No reason to take Hembree out of the game and certainly not for Doolittle.  Cannot win them all but they could have gained a game on Milwaukee and most likely San Diego as things stand now.

7 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

That loss is on David Bell.  As Mustang would say why the revolving door on the mound.  No reason to take Hembree out of the game and certainly not for Doolittle.  Cannot win them all but they could have gained a game on Milwaukee and most likely San Diego as things stand now.

EXACTLY!!!  Take the guy who has been doing the job CLOSING to bring in a guy that has done NOTHING all year!!????  I’ve said for a long time Bell is TERRIBLE and he keeps proving me right!!  Plus, they cost Miley ANOTHER win when he pitched well, please, this guy HAS to go!!!

So I just read this whole thread, and safe to say I made the right decision staying away from Reds threads this year. While this team blown some chances this year. This years team also has probably been the most fun Reds team to watch in a long time IMO.  Yet as usual with some people, you would assume the Reds were the worst team in baseball when you read these comments. 

So I’m back to ignoring Reds threads, but will leave with this. Go Reds! 

Reds closer worse than Twins closer (who was BAD) in this loss.  Larkin continues to try to put earrings on these stinky late inning pigs.

It looks like the Twins are conceding a win to the Reds on Wednesday, throwing a nobody against Castillo, and lookey, lookey, the Pirates are coming to town for four games.

A whole lot of bad MLB baseball on he horizon for the rest of the week/weekend.  

• Like 2

In horse racing conditions there are clauses stating that "state bred races , or claiming races under $10,000" are not considered.

In MLB, there needs to be a clause - "Statistics eared playing Pittsburgh or Colorado are not to be considered.

8 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I can already sense @Mustang posting about the Reds bringing out Johnny Bench today to honor Joe Morgan, just to sell more tickets haha

The fact that this is the first event held in "Joe's Honor" since his passing adds legitimacy to it.  It would actually have been more conspicuous had they NOT done something for him, so I'm good with it.  They seemed to do it right, bringing his HOF plaque down from Cooperstown, etc..

Joe Morgan was a bright, educated, articulate, sometimes outspoken player, who was in the right place at the right time, surrounded by wonderful teammates who etched and earned their way into the MLB history books.

Votto, saying that he was the greatest Red to ever wear the uniform was over the top.  Joe was a great ballplayer, and a vital cog in a tremendously successful team, but no better a second baseman (at least defensively), in my opinion than Brandon Phillips.  To us oldtimers, Pete, will always hold the "greatest" distinction.

I was happy to hear his daughters credit the city of Cincinnati, and detail his love for the fans of the city, and how well he was treated and embraced by them.

So, unless we have a second, third, fourth, fifth and so forth, Joe Morgan day, I'm OK with it.    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like your 2022 version of the Reds will have a new right fielder in it.  Early word is that Nick Castellanos is going to opt out of the final 2 years of his contract at the end of the year.  He would have $34 million coming his way, if he stayed with Cincinnati during those two years.  Obviously feels his All-Star season this year is going to pave the way to a bigger contract somewhere else.

10 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Looks like your 2022 version of the Reds will have a new right fielder in it.  Early word is that Nick Castellanos is going to opt out of the final 2 years of his contract at the end of the year.  He would have $34 million coming his way, if he stayed with Cincinnati during those two years.  Obviously feels his All-Star season this year is going to pave the way to a bigger contract somewhere else.

When is enough, enough???  If Castellanos is jumping ship, that should say something about how he feels about the future of this program.

OK, you've got to admit that I was pretty close in my assessment.  

A couple of updates:  Jonathan India has grown on me.  I wish he would clean up and become a better role model, BUT he is a really good, hard-nosed baseball player, who, despite his standoffishness, does have a place on this Cincinnati team.

Nobody foresaw the emergence of Joey Votto this late in his career.  Be glad that he has had a big year, but I wouldn't count on big seasons out of him in the future.  He will be 38 years old.  I still consider him a prima donna.

I can't believe that we keep running Aquino and Moustakas out there - these guys are still slugs.  Moustakas needs to go back to Jake Sweeney Chevrolet and stay there.  Aquino is blatantly bad.  Suarez remains the team pet.  Akiyama is fantastic - defensively, but getting long in the tooth. Naquin - so, so.  Farmer very ordinary.

Our championship caliber players are India, Castellano, Winker, Barnhart, and probably Stephenson.  The relief pitching has certainly improved, but the new guys haven't faced anyone of consequence yet.  I was shocked to see Garrett be trotted out there last night.  I thought for sure that head case would be long gone by now.  I would trade Miley while he is still worth something.  Castillo and Guiterrez are championship caliber.  Gray, Mahle, and Sims are very middle of the road.  

Take heart my friends, we've got the Marlins and Cardinals coming up.  Those opponents will make the Reds great again.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

So much for allegiance to the fans and city that you play for.

Our talking heads like to make out like these guys are in it to win and be champions, BUT at the end of the day, it's all about them and their contract.  Whenever one of them has a big night, wins an award (Naquin) or makes the all-star team (Castellanos and Winker) I'll bet the first thing they think of is how it will affect their next contract.  Our broadcasters talk about the team coming together for a common goal, gut-wrenching losses, gratifying wins, etc..  Horse hockey!!!  These are adult men whose job it is to play baseball.  They go to the ballpark 162 times just like we go to the office or job site.  Their true motivation is the almighty dollar, we (Collectively - I've been to GABP once) continue to feed their pocket books, but in reality all that most of them care about is themselves and their pocketbooks.   

Good riddance, Nick!!!  I'd rather root for Suarez who actually is happy and wants to be here, despite having a dismal season. 

It's not 1950 anymore.   Everyone is well aware that this is a business.  I don't care if I've been with a company for 20 years, if I see the chance to double my salary, I'm looking into it.

There is nothing saying he won't be a Red next season.  But this organization has to prove they want him here as much as he may want to be here (and only Nick knows how much that is.). If the Reds really like him and want him in Cincinnati for the long haul, they will have to pay him like that.