Reds - The way I see it

The Reds are in 10th place in attendance in all of baseball. They probably would go higher if they put a winning product on the field consistently.  If Castellini can't put up the money with that attendance, then he needs to sell the team and get out of the way. Being cheap with the bullpen last winter is a big reason for this year's bullpen struggles.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The Reds are in 10th place in attendance in all of baseball. They probably would go higher if they put a winning product on the field consistently.  If Castellini can't put up the money with that attendance, then he needs to sell the team and get out of the way. Being cheap with the bullpen last winter is a big reason for this year's bullpen struggles.

Completely agree with all this!!!

At the Major league level, the only untouchable, in my opinion, is Castellanos.   The fans love him AND he's been productive.   Everyone else on this roster is fair game.   I know Votto is old and makes way to much money (and will probably retire a Red), but he's playing decent this season.   If a contender wants a veteran bat, bye bye.

9 hours ago, The Raven said:

At the Major league level, the only untouchable, in my opinion, is Castellanos.   The fans love him AND he's been productive.   Everyone else on this roster is fair game.   I know Votto is old and makes way to much money (and will probably retire a Red), but he's playing decent this season.   If a contender wants a veteran bat, bye bye.

The most likely of the two to be traded is Castellanos.  You have to believe he is opting out of his contract at year end.  Reds need to try and sign him to extension.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mustang said:

The Reds have sent 29 different pitchers to the mound this season - 29!!!

Not surprising when you consider how poorly the bullpen was configured early and then the way that Bell uses them.  Heard Mo Egger last night say that Reds management owes the fans an explanation of where things are headed because they seem to have no apparent direction aka rudderless ship.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

23 hours ago, Mustang said:

Point well taken about Trevor Bauer.  He fell in our lap but was a huge bonus.

I understand out budget, etc., but would have really liked to have seen us make an effort to keep him here.  I also would have appreciated if he would have shown us some luv by repaying the favor and given us another year or too here in Cincinnati.

I know that we don't have he mega-bucks to go out and buy top shelf talent, BUT when he is already in our fold , I think we should have made an effort to pay those top bucks to keep him here.  In his current situation, if he had it to do over again, he'd probably agree.

I hear you, but when you're offered $40 million for one season of throwing a baseball, its hard to take quite a bit less to just do a team a favor.  And if the Reds did offer him something like $70 million for two years, people would have probably had lost their minds.

I haven't followed since the initial news, but sounds like he's getting paid to sit on the sidelines right now.

21 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am told the Corporate Offices of Delaware North in Buffalo are absolutely thrilled with this season in GABP so far.  The concessionaire is blowing their projections out of the water.  Tuesday night alone, they were apparently about $250K above their project net (or gross, not sure).  Maybe they low balled their projections but seems like business is good in the food and beverage part of GABP.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mustang said:

The Reds have sent 29 different pitchers to the mound this season - 29!!!

San Francisco, who has the best record in baseball, has used 28.  The Brewers have also used 29.  

With no only a 60 game season last year, and no minor league season, it was a given that teams were going to use more pitchers this year.  When you extend young pitchers to 150% or more of the innings that they threw the season before they tend to have arm issues.  That's been proven over and over.  Everyone is using a bunch of pitchers for that very reason: Mets 32, Red Sox 23, White Sox 22, and the Astros 24.  This was never going to be a completely normal season. That's why we're still getting 7 inning doubleheaders and automatic runners in extra innings.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Not surprising when you consider how poorly the bullpen was configured early and then the way that Bell uses them.  Heard Mo Egger last night say that Reds management owes the fans an explanation of where things are headed because they seem to have no apparent direction aka rudderless ship.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

I for one, agree.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:19 PM, Voice of Reason said:

That's a little misleading isn't it?  There are several teams that had their maximum crowds reduced due to Covid restrictions much longer than the Reds. I believe the Blue Jays just got to go back to Toronto. 

Also, even taking the other teams having reduced capacity  out of the equation, the Reds attendence in 2021 is still 4500 fans per game LESS than in 2019.