NFHS permits shot clock starting 2022/23

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This will fire up the ole "what we're doing works, never change it" crowd. 

I don't think the HS game needs this, and I don't think I'm going to be a fan. But you have to be willing to evolve and change. The only way to really know if it will work is to try it. I'm sure the same thing was said when it was instituted in college and it's no big deal anymore.

1 minute ago, rjs4470 said:

I don't think the HS game needs this, and I don't think I'm going to be a fan. But you have to be willing to evolve and change. The only way to really know if it will work is to try it. I'm sure the same thing was said when it was instituted in college and it's no big deal anymore.

The NFHS saying it's allowed probably won't change much IMO. I'd say most states won't adopt a shot clock. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

The NFHS saying it's allowed probably won't change much IMO. I'd say most states won't adopt a shot clock. 

True. I’d like to see it for selfish fan reasons. Seen my Tigers play stall ball many times and I’m not a fan of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

True. I’d like to see it for selfish fan reasons. Seen my Tigers play stall ball many times and I’m not a fan of it.

I agree. After an adjustment period, it would make for a better product IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

Kids just are not good enough to play with shot clock, it would make a terrible product in high school. 

Because they aren't being coached to a shot clock type of strategy. 

• Like 2

Getting this conversation out of the way early this year!

I wouldn't be surprised to see KHSAA allow but not encourage the use during maybe holiday tournaments or something like that(and maybe they already do), moving forward. Personally, I don't care either way. "Stall Ball" and its "patient" cousins have kept me in games and taken me out of them. Same with running and gunning. 

The logistics, understandably, will always be the one thing that will stall the institution of the clock, for better or worse. 

• Like 2

First of all, it's not a "product."   To whom are we selling this?  Secondly, the whole idea is to teach the kids the game.  There really are two sides to it, offense and defense.  At a higher level with higher level skills, go ahead, fire away.   Shot clock games really have little to no "strategy" as you suggest at the high school level.  the team with the bigger, better athletes who can shoot, win the games.  And no, I'm not the "what we're doing now works so let's not change" crowd.  Want to effect change?  Classify the sport.  

2 minutes ago, bulldog77 said:

Shot clock games really have little to no "strategy" as you suggest at the high school level.

Depends on how you define strategy I suppose. Running 1:30 off the clock with a motion offense is strategy, but putting together three straight 0:15 possessions resulting in points on three different quick-hitters isn't?

Seems to me that in theory, coaches would have to expand their playbook(which I'm not certain is a good thing).

Also... the two-for-one is far more strategic, and requires a higher level of understanding by the players than an offense/defense sub late in the 4th IMO.

• Like 1