Owensboro - 2021 Schedule

59 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

Figured Owensboro would challenge themselves a little more than they chose to. 

To be fair, Owensboro is in a 6-team district in 5A. Henderson should be a good non-district game, and St. X is definitely a good one. That's 7 games of the 2021 season, and only two of them are Owensboro's choice to make.

The remainder of the games are against "local rivals". I'm not sure how far back all of the rivalries go, or how many times they've skipped playing one another, but with a crosstown game against O-Cath, and games against the remaining two football programs in the county in Daviess County and Apollo, I can see where that very likely puts Coach Fallin in a little bit of a lose-lose situation - if he does schedule them all, then people can accuse him of not challenging the team enough with the schedule, and if he drops any of those three, then he catches flack for dumping a rival.

There's also the almighty dollar to contend with. I don't know what the teams look like currently over across the river in Indiana, but it costs money to travel...and the Owensboro area isn't exactly overflowing with many bigtime local competitors within the Commonwealth.

That said, I hear what you're saying, WKY. At least both the Owensboro vs. Daviess County and Owensboro vs. O-Cath games were decided by two touchdowns or less last year, so hopefully those games stack up decently again this year.

• Like 3

I can understand a crosstown rival if it’s one county school and one city school than by all means play every year but to play them all every year seems like a lot of schedule to be locking up. I would’ve liked to seen them schedule Bowling Green or South Warren they’re only 70 miles apart so travel wouldn’t be that bad.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

To be fair, Owensboro is in a 6-team district in 5A. Henderson should be a good non-district game, and St. X is definitely a good one. That's 7 games of the 2021 season, and only two of them are Owensboro's choice to make.

The remainder of the games are against "local rivals". I'm not sure how far back all of the rivalries go, or how many times they've skipped playing one another, but with a crosstown game against O-Cath, and games against the remaining two football programs in the county in Daviess County and Apollo, I can see where that very likely puts Coach Fallin in a little bit of a lose-lose situation - if he does schedule them all, then people can accuse him of not challenging the team enough with the schedule, and if he drops any of those three, then he catches flack for dumping a rival.

There's also the almighty dollar to contend with. I don't know what the teams look like currently over across the river in Indiana, but it costs money to travel...and the Owensboro area isn't exactly overflowing with many bigtime local competitors within the Commonwealth.

That said, I hear what you're saying, WKY. At least both the Owensboro vs. Daviess County and Owensboro vs. O-Cath games were decided by two touchdowns or less last year, so hopefully those games stack up decently again this year.

12 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I can understand a crosstown rival if it’s one county school and one city school than by all means play every year but to play them all every year seems like a lot of schedule to be locking up. I would’ve liked to seen them schedule Bowling Green or South Warren they’re only 70 miles apart so travel wouldn’t be that bad.

LOVE the St X matchup!  That is a great step forward for Owensboro!

Concerning @Colonels_Wear_Blue bolded above, does that say more about Owensboro or Daviess and OCath?  

To @Tkinslow point, I would too!

To me Owensboro, could keep 2 of the 3 "local rivals" on the schedule for a 2 year scheduling cycle and then rotate the other one in and keep going with that.  It would keep those local games and give them flexibility to schedule another competitive game.

In the end, are you playing to win the "City Championship" or the "State Championship"?

• Like 3

Soft scheduling hasn't affected Owensboro at all the past 2 seasons.   They have been in the state semi-finals in 19 and the the state championship game in 20. Not to mention Daviess and Henderson are 6A teams that will boost their RPI to the best in 5A.  See the 2020 final RPI.  Maybe Coach Fallin is playing chess while the "tough schedule" teams are playing checkers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BillNye said:

Soft scheduling hasn't affected Owensboro at all the past 2 seasons.   They have been in the state semi-finals in 19 and the the state championship game in 20. Not to mention Daviess and Henderson are 6A teams that will boost their RPI to the best in 5A.  See the 2020 final RPI.  Maybe Coach Fallin is playing chess while the "tough schedule" teams are playing checkers. 

If you're playing for the State Semi-finals (chess) I agree, if your playing to win the State Championship (checkers), I disagree.

Any of the better teams in 5A would be in the exact same spot Owensboro is, except maybe beating Frederick Douglas AT HOME last year.  Just a fact.  Heck, even Greenwood could likely do this (minus a tough task from Graves possibly).  In order to win the State Championship, which I fully feel Owensboro is capable of, you need more on the schedule than their 2019 and 2020 schedule afforded.  They realize this and is why they added St X.  If you feel State Semi's is good enough, no way I schedule X and take an L for RPI.  

Owensboro is in the State-Semi Final game again this year.  That's a pretty easy prediction with their talent coming back and that schedule, but don't they want more?  I think so.  And they should. 

• Like 1

Meh..

Is it wrong I wanted more?

5A Runner-Up. One of the top QB's in the country.

I get the constraints of the District and historic rivalries, but can't help but think maybe a game against one of the Evansville powerhouses would have been a good fit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ATLCat said:

Meh..

I get the constraints of the District and historic rivalries, but can't help but think maybe a game against one of the Evansville powerhouses would have been a good fit.

Evansville schools aren't an option anymore. The Southern Indiana Conference expanded to ten teams and IHSAA teams only play nine regular season games. For right now, Owensboro playing Evansville teams isn't likely or even possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATLCat said:

Meh..

Imagine the angst Frederick Douglas feels.  No team has had more D1 talent the past 2 years and they have the same results Owensboro has the past 2 years.  A semi-final and state final appearance.  I just think putting the blame on scheduling for not winning a state championship is a lazy take.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:07 PM, Purple88 said:

If you're playing for the State Semi-finals (chess) I agree, if your playing to win the State Championship (checkers), I disagree.

Any of the better teams in 5A would be in the exact same spot Owensboro is, except maybe beating Frederick Douglas AT HOME last year. 

That's the point.  Regular season scheduling and the RPI it produced allowed Owensboro to have Frederick Douglas at HOME.  

On 3/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, Purple88 said:

Game will be At Graves County this year, so I'm interested in that one GC.

I've heard strong "rumors" that there will be several key seniors at Graves that are seriously considering taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility for the upcoming season.  

If that is true, this game just got more interesting!

• Like 1

Owensboro played BG for years, they've played the top competition in Evansville (and have done very well).  Henderson game is a good challenge and  a lock on the schedule since it's been played since 1786.  Owensboro has ALWAYS played the 3 Daviess County teams (Apollo, DC, Catholic).  Owensboro didn't ask for a pitiful district.  Owensboro has always been used to a tough district, but now has Breck, Muhlenburg, Graves, Grayson, Ohio.  Owensboro would not choose to schedule 1 of those teams, save possibly Graves.  They shouldn't have to play all 5 teams, but they do.  That said I would have love to see them get out of the 3 Owensboro schools (although that's probably the big money makers).   That's what BG did and is what OHS should do.  I'm glad for the St X game.  Daviess has a top QB (#22 in nation dual threat) Humphries.  I knew that last year but no one seem to  be buying.  Cannon arm, just ran a 4.5 40 - D1 guy.

St X., Henderson, Graves and DC would be the biggest games, the others should be yawners.

Since OHS revamped offense in 2018:

2018 - Round 3 - lost to South Lacey, I mean South Warren (but beat BG in 2nd round)

2019 - Semis close game to Frederick D

2020 - Beat FD in semis and lost to BG in final

2021 - ?

• Like 1