Owensboro - 2021 Schedule

19 hours ago, FB Head said:

I've heard strong "rumors" that there will be several key seniors at Graves that are seriously considering taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility for the upcoming season.  

If that is true, this game just got more interesting!

That could be huge for Graves if true.  They return almost the entire defense except for a couple starters I think.  If the right pieces return on offense they could be a pretty tough out for teams.

Graves is always good - I mean the Mayfield area is a football factory.  The RB coming back is huge and I think the WR Grant was a junior as well - very talented and will make some noise.  Defense needed some work, but offense was legit.

1 hour ago, Brown said:

Graves is always good - I mean the Mayfield area is a football factory.  The RB coming back is huge and I think the WR Grant was a junior as well - very talented and will make some noise.  Defense needed some work, but offense was legit.

The defense last season returned 3 starters and finished the season 9th in 5A in scoring allowed.  They were a little more bend but don't break but gave up only 18 points a game.  There was a funny game against Ohio where they gave up a lot of points and Owensboro had 3 TDs in the 2 meetings that were scored on special teams and a fumble return.  Take some of those away any they really didn't give up a lot of points.  Now the offense did help as they were able to keep the football away from people but I would say for a defense that was extremely young and inexperienced they performed pretty well.   

• Like 1

I feel like this thread got hijacked a little bit.  I don't really think you can blame Owensboro for their schedule.  You don't get to choose your district and not being able to play the Evansville schools hurts them.  The fact that they went out and put St. X on the schedule says they aren't afraid to go play somebody and why should they be they are pretty dang good.  You also have to play the local games for the gate money because lets face it most high schools sports teams don't exist without football and basketball gate money coming in.  Also everybody does need to factor in the RPI formula.  Owensboro had the top RPI last season and got FD to come to their place so I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing.  Seems to be working and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zoneblitz24 said:

The defense last season returned 3 starters and finished the season 9th in 5A in scoring allowed.  They were a little more bend but don't break but gave up only 18 points a game.  There was a funny game against Ohio where they gave up a lot of points and Owensboro had 3 TDs in the 2 meetings that were scored on special teams and a fumble return.  Take some of those away any they really didn't give up a lot of points.  Now the offense did help as they were able to keep the football away from people but I would say for a defense that was extremely young and inexperienced they performed pretty well.   

Yes it was more offense.  I think Owensboro punted 2 times in both games and moved the ball at will.  Turnovers in the 2nd game slowed down the scoring somewhat.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, Brown said:

The last 3-4 years Mayfield isn’t taking the talent from Graves like they use to. I think that is why you are seeing Graves able to compete with teams like Owensboro and Mayfield losing to Murray second round which would have been unheard of 10 years ago. This is not to discredit a good Murray team.

Back to the topic, Owensboro and Graves game. It being at Graves helps a lot. But Owensboro is probably still a 2 td favorite team. Especially with Graves losing their QB and Owensboro returning probably the best QB in the state again. I just don’t believe it will be a blow out. Graves should have a stretch over the next 3-4 years they should be able to compete with Owensboro. I still think this year as long as  Wimsatt is at QB they’re the clear favorite.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

That's national Elite 11 (top 20 QB's invited) in Los Angeles.  He's done well day 1 from the write-up I saw.

That's the national Elite 11 (Top 20 QB's invited) in Los Angeles.  He's done very well day 1 from the write-up I saw.

• Like 2