What is more impressive? Brady vs. LeBron

Each have made 10 appearances in the final round of their respective sports. Brady has appeared in 10 Super Bowls in 19 years of starting (not counting his rookie year when he didn't play or in '08 when he was injured). LeBron has made 10 NBA Finals in 17 seasons (now in his 18th season).

I am not talking who has performed better in the Finals, but the feat of making it to the final round. Is it harder to do in the NFL or NBA?

• Thanks 1

Man... you could go a billion different ways with this. 

You could make an argument that it's harder to do in the NFL because it really takes a full team effort to get there. Offense, defense, special teams. Whereas in the NBA, two superstars can get you to The Finals depending on the year. 

You could also make an argument that it's harder to do it in the NBA because there are more games not only in the season, but also in the post season. Two wins gets you to the Super Bowl... What is it, 12 or 16 games it takes just to get to The Finals in the NBA?

I am going Brady. Obviously both are all time great, but when you compare Brady against his QB counterparts, his numbers are out of this world with the post-season success he has had. There are not many basketball players that have appeared in 10 NBA Finals, but there is only one NFL player to appear in 10 Super Bowls. And I am strictly talking appearances a player. I think Elway has the second most QB appearances at 6.

45 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Man... you could go a billion different ways with this. 

You could make an argument that it's harder to do in the NFL because it really takes a full team effort to get there. Offense, defense, special teams. Whereas in the NBA, two superstars can get you to The Finals depending on the year. 

You could also make an argument that it's harder to do it in the NBA because there are more games not only in the season, but also in the post season. Two wins gets you to the Super Bowl... What is it, 12 or 16 games it takes just to get to The Finals in the NBA?

The durability of both is amazing. Modern health/nutrition and fitness play a role in that, but it also involves some good luck and genetic abnormalities. LeBron is a specimen. I was watching the Lakers/Timberwolves game about a month ago. LeBron comes down and rolls his ankle. I had seen this act before and the Wolves' color commentator summed it up best. "LeBron just endured what should have been an injury that knocks a normal player out 1-2 weeks. He collects himself, reties his shoes, and he is good to go."

With respect to the regular seasons. The NFL requires more max effort to secure an easier path (winning two games only) to reach a Superbowl. The NBA season is more of a mental grind, with some coasting along the way, but the NBA playoffs can take a toll on you.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bugatti said:

The durability of both is amazing. Modern health/nutrition and fitness play a role in that, but it also involves some good luck and genetic abnormalities. LeBron is a specimen. I was watching the Lakers/Timberwolves game about a month ago. LeBron comes down and rolls his ankle. I had seen this act before and the Wolves' color commentator summed it up best. "LeBron just endured what should have been an injury that knocks a normal player out 1-2 weeks. He collects himself, reties his shoes, and he is good to go."

With respect to the regular seasons. The NFL requires more max effort to secure an easier path (winning two games only) to reach a Superbowl. The NBA season is more of a mental grind, with some coasting along the way, but the NBA playoffs can take a toll on you.

LeBron is the best athlete of all time. I'm not sure there's really a lot of debate to be had there. 

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

LeBron is the best athlete of all time. I'm not sure there's really a lot of debate to be had there. 

I never know how to categorize "athlete" here. He is a genetic freak that is assuredly the most indestructible athlete ever... which that has to be part of the equation.

I guess I will pick Brady because of the expectations about him when he joined the Patriots (6th round draft pick out of Michigan).  7th on the depth chart...fighting to get playing time in college...only getting a chance in the NFL when Drew Bledsoe was injured.  Everyone knew LeBron was going to be a star when he was in high school at St. Vincent-St. Mary.  Once again, I'm not taking anything away from the greatness of either player.  The title of this thread involved who was most "impressive" in their career.  I've always been impressed with the nobody who became somebody.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nkypete said:

I guess I will pick Brady because of the expectations about him when he joined the Patriots (6th round draft pick out of Michigan).  7th on the depth chart...fighting to get playing time in college...only getting a chance in the NFL when Drew Bledsoe was injured.  Everyone knew LeBron was going to be a star when he was in high school at St. Vincent-St. Mary.  Once again, I'm not taking anything away from the greatness of either player.  The title of this thread involved who was most "impressive" in their career.  I've always been impressed with the nobody who became somebody.

Take away the names. What is more impressive? Reaching 10 NBA Finals or reaching 10 Super Bowls?

5 hours ago, bugatti said:

Take away the names. What is more impressive? Reaching 10 NBA Finals or reaching 10 Super Bowls?

I would say 10 Super Bowls. In the NBA since they play series, the best team is usually going to win that series. Plus in the NBA history, we have seen many NBA players go to a lot of NBA finals. Yet in the NFL and I could be wrong on this, but it seems to be more rare to see a player go to a lot of Super Bowls. 

Both are so very impressive stats though!

8 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I would say 10 Super Bowls. In the NBA since they play series, the best team is usually going to win that series. Plus in the NBA history, we have seen many NBA players go to a lot of NBA finals. Yet in the NFL and I could be wrong on this, but it seems to be more rare to see a player go to a lot of Super Bowls. 

Both are so very impressive stats though!

I think that, in part, has to do a lot with one, the length of NFL careers, and two, the number of teams a guy will play on during his career.  Very rarely do you see the team who won the Super Bowl come back with the same 22 starters the next year.  Somebody's retiring.  Somebody else got beat out by a youngster.  Somebody's contract was up, so they moved on to "greener pastures" to get paid while they still could.  Quarterback is the one position where, if you've got a hot hand, most teams are willing to pay to keep you there.  Just about any other position, they'll let you walk.

As you say, both are impressive.  But, for different reasons.  Brady's been in a more physically demanding sport, where injuries can often derail a career.  But, he's also benefitted by being in the same structure (coach-wise) for nearly his entire career.  Two head coaches (and four OC's) for his 20 years?!?  Meanwhile, Lebron's had I think 8 different head coaches, on basically four different teams during his 18 years.  Yeah, you can say he's "chased" a championship by going to those different teams...but, there's no guarantees.  And let's face it, Brady didn't just draw Tampa Bay out of a hat.  He knew what talent they had.

But, ultimately, if you want to consider an impressive stat...how about this one?

13 year career...in Finals for 12 of those years...WON the Finals 11 times...League MVP 5 times.

Mr. Bill Russell on line 1.

• Like 1

Other thing to point out is that NFL and NBA free agency are not the same. As noted in the above post, unless you are a QB, you will most likely be out the door when your contract is up because of the short shelf lives. In the NBA players control everything. While tenures at stops are short in the NBA, too, Brady couldn't just team up with 3-4 other guys and pick a destination. God bless him for doing it, but LeBron paved the easiest path he could in a weak Eastern conference. The first few years with the Heat, they had 3 of the top 5 guys in their own conference on the roster. On balance, Brady played in the AFC East. During his years in New England, the best QB he went up against was Chad Pennington. Think about that. So New England was guaranteed at worst a home playoff game, if not a bye.