Is Highlands still a top job?

8 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Mark Peach is a very good coach.

I completely agree. I think he would have success but I don’t think he checks the boxes that at least the fan base appears to want. He is also in a beautiful part of the state with a cheaper cost of living. I believe he is one example of a great coach that wouldn’t even get a sniff. The thing is his offense is the new sexy hotness across the country. Coaches all over the place are looking for Costal Carolina film. 

It will never happen but I still think McPeak from Douglas checks almost all their boxes. He isn’t going to leave Douglas though. 

38 minutes ago, barrel said:

I completely agree. I think he would have success but I don’t think he checks the boxes that at least the fan base appears to want. He is also in a beautiful part of the state with a cheaper cost of living. I believe he is one example of a great coach that wouldn’t even get a sniff. The thing is his offense is the new sexy hotness across the country. Coaches all over the place are looking for Costal Carolina film. 

It will never happen but I still think McPeak from Douglas checks almost all their boxes. He isn’t going to leave Douglas though. 

Nope. Nate isn't going anywhere- has it absolutely made at Douglass..

• Majority of his staff are IN THE BUILDING at FD.
  • They have classes of in school weights.
  • Has a great day job in the building.
  • School is the 'new kid on the block' in Lex (the only weight rooms in the state that are better are UK and Louisville's- I'm not so sure WKU and EKU's are better, all things considered)
  • Fayette County pays better than FTH (teaching and coaching)
  • Cost of living is LOWER in Fayette Co
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

Nope. Nate isn't going anywhere- has it absolutely made at Douglass..

• Majority of his staff are IN THE BUILDING at FD.
  • They have classes of in school weights.
  • Has a great day job in the building.
  • School is the 'new kid on the block' in Lex (the only weight rooms in the state that are better are UK and Louisville's- I'm not so sure WKU and EKU's are better, all things considered)
  • Fayette County pays better than FTH (teaching and coaching)
  • Cost of living is LOWER in Fayette Co

Yes, why in the world would he ever consider coming to Highlands. I did not realize that Highlands would be such a step down but thx for sharing.

22 hours ago, ATLCat said:

On the subject of the HC being the AD.

Can't speak for everywhere, but your most successful Head Coaches in Georgia SELDOMLY double as the AD. At the smallest public school Districts you may see this a little more, but even then, your small private schools and any larger schools it is very uncommon to see someone trying to fill a double roll.

The big difference is the level of pay in GA. It is not uncommon whatsoever for your top tier coaches to be close to a six figure salary and also have key coordinators who make a very comfortable paycheck from coaching alone.

Here is an article from 2019 talking about six figure salary coaches. Entering the 2019 season there were 44 coaches making six figure salaries. Seeing how many of those coaches changed jobs that Summer alone, I am sure this number is well into the 50's. How many KY coaches would be at this level?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/georgia/big-business-number-of-georgia-high-school-football-coaches-making-six-figure-salaries-has-doubled-in-five-years/77-99d3cec6-0852-4d81-a563-117fd68b7c93

I know if I were a big booster of a tradition rich program the last thing I would want is my HC having to serve as the AD.

Six figures for couching? What about the same for English, math, social study and science teachers? I think we have gone mad!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

Yes, why in the world would he ever consider coming to Highlands. I did not realize that Highlands would be such a step down but thx for sharing.

Y'all take it so personal when someone points out why a coach may not be interested in Highlands. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Y'all take it so personal when someone points out why a coach may not be interested in Highlands. 

I have had several people tell me that certain coaches (head or assistant) would not be a good candidate because of how they look in appearance and/or where they are coming from.  Fact or fiction?

1 minute ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I have had several people tell me that certain coaches (head or assistant) would not be a good candidate because of how they look in appearance and/or where they are coming from.  Fact or fiction?

Are you asking me from an outsiders perspective? Or what I think Highlands fans may think?

36 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

It is still a good job.  A really good job. 

But I don’t think, well, I know that it’s not the holy grail of coaching gigs by many on the outside looking in. This whole process has shown that.

There are reasons for it, then myriad reasons against. It’s not a chink in the armor, but right now? Yeah. It’s a step down all things considered for some. 

I still believe Highlands will get a good coach. It might not be the name, resume that many expected going into this (then again, they might snag a Nick Saban of HS coaching)..but, the ‘Birds will find their fit.  I have no doubts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

If that’s in fact the case..

That does even more to make this an even less attractive job to the masses than what it’s already obviously appeared to be (especially that last part about “where they are from”, bc that SCREAMS..’they won’t fit in’)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Harry Doyle said:

If that’s in fact the case..

That does even more to make this an even less attractive job to the masses than what it’s already obviously appeared to be.

This is not coming from anyone within the school system or Fort Thomas for that matter.  Just opinions that people have.

8 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

Gotcha.  Yeah. That is definitely an outside perception many people have.  

Could you elaborate on that some?  What is that perception and why do you think it exists?  Does this same type of outside perception exist at Trinity, Male, Bowling Green, Mayfield, Beechwood or any of the other top tier programs I did not mention specifically?

16 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Could you elaborate on that some?  What is that perception and why do you think it exists?  Does this same type of outside perception exist at Trinity, Male, Bowling Green, Mayfield, Beechwood or any of the other top tier programs I did not mention specifically?

Just an “elitist” type mentality more than anything.    Not that I’ve ever experienced that, but going off others I know who I know (friends, family and colleagues) who are from that area, worked up in and around there, even interviewed for jobs, etc...a feeling of “yeah. I don’t fit in up there” “I’m not the kind of person they are looking for” “Everybody down here is so much more ‘down home’ & welcoming”.  

For the record , again, I’ve NEVER experienced that. 

• Like 2