Is Highlands still a top job?

54 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yes, lots of Highlands guys. Weinrich was a Highlands guy too. There are two really good candidates that are Highlands guys. Throughout Highlands history many of the coaching greats have been Highlands guys. 

The reason the search is going rough is because the really good coaches all want to be AD too. After Dale, Highlands made AD a stand alone position. That’s 75% of the trouble getting someone really good. That problem could be solved easily, but Highlands isn’t quick to terminate a position. 

How can it be solved quickly?  

Money and pay matter!  I love football played, coached and live it; however this town is like Friday night lights without the TX paycheck.  My previous post sounded ungrateful and we are appreciative of those that help support and provide the very best for Fort Thomas kids that should not lead to entitlement.  Enjoy the experience it goes to quick and I just hope the community can catch the action in 2021!  Let’s pray for folks in the stands, catching up with neighbors and players reunited with the student body!  Football 🏈 Fridays are the greatest show on earth!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yes, lots of Highlands guys. Weinrich was a Highlands guy too. There are two really good candidates that are Highlands guys. Throughout Highlands history many of the coaching greats have been Highlands guys. 

The reason the search is going rough is because the really good coaches all want to be AD too. After Dale, Highlands made AD a stand alone position. That’s 75% of the trouble getting someone really good. That problem could be solved easily, but Highlands isn’t quick to terminate a position. 

Seems odd that coach would expect to be AD. I know there has been some cases of coach also AD but not common. 

1 minute ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Seems odd that coach would expect to be AD. I know there has been some cases of coach also AD but not common. 

All over the place in the South. In GA, TX, AL it's a given the majority of the time. South Carolina, Tennessee and even some schools here in KY it's that way.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd guess with the 6A schools that is definitely the case. With Highlands scale that AD role tied in bumps up the pay scale to what a "big time" high school coach demands. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Off the top of my head, just here in KY...guys that are the AD/HFC.

Casey County - Steve Stonebraker

Christian County- Steve Lovelace

Crittenden County- Sean Thompson

Mayfield- Joe Morris

Monroe- John Petett

Bardstown- David Clark

Spencer County- Mark Marksbury

Woodford- Dennis Johnson

Might have missed some others,...

• Like 1

I'm not really sweating it anymore. Coach James didn't work out, it all happened so fast for him I really have no problem with it now. It just stung at first. 

I have a feeling that Lickert is going to be it. It may seem like settling, but he may actually be the best guy out of all the applicants. He knows the program, he was a two way starter on state championship team. He has head coaching experience. Also, I believe it's his dream job. If we got Steve at head coach and Sipple (sp) at offensive coordinator, that could be a good combo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PurplePride92 said:

So far the consensus is that it is a good job, one of the best in the state, but yet here we are with it still being open and no clue who the next coach will be.  

IMO even the best coaches in the state would want the job if it was that enticing.  It should be easy to fill if it was that good of a job.  

I mentioned early on that I didn't think Highlands is the job that some want it to still be and some took issue with that. I stand by my statement. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I don't think I said I want to fire the AD. That just opens the job up to bigger names. I'd rather go with Lickert, the future big name.

Your post said that problem could be solved easily, I took that to mean you (and maybe others) wouldn't have a problem firing the AD to get a "better" coach. 

1 hour ago, Harry Doyle said:

If Franklin County was about to be left for dead- milked that cow for all it's worth- reached it's "pinnacle"? We aren't talking about this right now. 

You make a good point. The two programs are currently on very different paths. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Your post said that problem could be solved easily, I took that to mean you (and maybe others) wouldn't have a problem firing the AD to get a "better" coach. 

Yeah, I understand how it would come off as that. I'm not big on firing people. Maybe they could change the AD's position and make him a teacher / coach or something else if they really wanted to get a big name that demanded the AD role as well. Not my job to figure out but I'm sure you could figure out something. I really think Lickert is the answer though.