PurplePride92

Is Highlands still a top job?

In the south, the setup frequently is that the head football coach is AD and may even be the strength coach. He also will have a secretary and one or two assistant AD's. 

The head football position at Highlands would merit that structure. 

The head football coach job demands are booming. It will become more and more difficult to teach and be the head football coach in a program that is serious about being successful. 

• Like 2

Just now, El Diablo said:

Ha to me Highlands is not a path yet. We are at a crossroads.

That's fair. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

You make a good point. The two programs are currently on very different paths. 

Present and immediate future it sure seems that way.  Although I will say, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but for the "pressure packed job" that Highlands seems to be from the outside (and, I've been guilty of saying that, too)- it seems like I've read from several posters that they don't expect things to happen overnight and that this is going to be a few year process to getting things back to (or close) to what they once were. 

1 minute ago, ChiefSmoke said:

In the south, the setup frequently is that the head football coach is AD and may even be the strength coach. He also will have a secretary and one or two assistant AD's. 

The head football position at Highlands would merit that structure. 

The head football coach job demands are booming. It will become more and more difficult to teach and be the head football coach in a program that is serious about being successful. 

Preach on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I've always thought it was silly that the HC had to be a teacher to coach. Both jobs are incredibly demanding. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

Present and immediate future it sure seems that way.  Although I will say, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but for the "pressure packed job" that Highlands seems to be from the outside (and, I've been guilty of saying that, too)- it seems like I've read from several posters that they don't expect things to happen overnight and that this is going to be a few year process to getting things back to (or close) to what they once were. 

IMO, that's what they say now,... 

• Like 1

Are we sure a HC candidate WANTS to be the AD? That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me... Maybe they want the money, but they don't want that added responsibility. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

Definitely. There are only a few things that would upset me being a Highlands fan for the the first two years of the new coach. The biggest would be ignoring the youth league in Fort Thomas. Another would be just overall attitude, got to make the kids believe in themselves. Ha Coach James checked those boxes with a sharpie, that's probably why I got so jaded.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Are we sure a HC candidate WANTS to be the AD? That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me... Maybe they want the money, but they don't want that added responsibility. 

The money and decision-making yes. On the workload... that is why you have to have a secretary and one, possibly two assistant AD's. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

That probably depends on the individual I guess. It's a pure money thing.

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I've always thought it was silly that the HC had to be a teacher to coach. Both jobs are incredibly demanding. 

They are, especially during a season (obviously). What's comical is how it never fails how in an interview, it's always communicated what the "most important job is"- yet that is NOT the case.

I can PROMISE you that more coaches are let go for the "less important job" and usually in a much SHORTER time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

They are, especially during a season (obviously). What's comical is how it never fails how in an interview, it's always communicated what the "most important job is"- yet that is NOT the case.

I can PROMISE you that more coaches are let go for the "less important job" and usually in a much SHORTER time. 

Facts.

On the subject of the HC being the AD.

Can't speak for everywhere, but your most successful Head Coaches in Georgia SELDOMLY double as the AD. At the smallest public school Districts you may see this a little more, but even then, your small private schools and any larger schools it is very uncommon to see someone trying to fill a double roll.

The big difference is the level of pay in GA. It is not uncommon whatsoever for your top tier coaches to be close to a six figure salary and also have key coordinators who make a very comfortable paycheck from coaching alone.

Here is an article from 2019 talking about six figure salary coaches. Entering the 2019 season there were 44 coaches making six figure salaries. Seeing how many of those coaches changed jobs that Summer alone, I am sure this number is well into the 50's. How many KY coaches would be at this level?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/georgia/big-business-number-of-georgia-high-school-football-coaches-making-six-figure-salaries-has-doubled-in-five-years/77-99d3cec6-0852-4d81-a563-117fd68b7c93

I know if I were a big booster of a tradition rich program the last thing I would want is my HC having to serve as the AD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PurplePride92 said:

Didn’t they just have a Highlands guy who is a deep-down a Highlands guy?  

Yep. And he was a Highlands guy who didn't give the time of day to the middle school league coaches and players. BW hardly gave the time of day to a lot of his assistant coaching staff too. Simple answer, they had a deep-down Highlands guy but not the right deep-down Highlands guy.

4 minutes ago, ATLCat said:

On the subject of the HC being the AD.

Can't speak for everywhere, but your most successful Head Coaches in Georgia SELDOMLY double as the AD. At the smallest public school Districts you may see this a little more, but even then, your small private schools and any larger schools it is very uncommon to see someone trying to fill a double roll.

The big difference is the level of pay in GA. It is not uncommon whatsoever for your top tier coaches to be close to a six figure salary and also have key coordinators who make a very comfortable paycheck from coaching alone.

Here is an article from 2019 talking about six figure salary coaches. Entering the 2019 season there were 44 coaches making six figure salaries. How many KY coaches would be at this level?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/georgia/big-business-number-of-georgia-high-school-football-coaches-making-six-figure-salaries-has-doubled-in-five-years/77-99d3cec6-0852-4d81-a563-117fd68b7c93

I know if I were a big booster of a tradition rich program the last thing I would want is my HC having to serve as the AD.

The way I understand set up for Coach Wallace at St. X is in morning he is a substitute teacher and/or lunch room monitor and after lunch to do all football stuff. To me, this seems ideal setup for a football coach.

• Like 3

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.