Is Highlands still a top job?

1 hour ago, PurplePride92 said:

According to BGP it was the runner up choice who backed out of the job. So now they have to start a search all over again and the coaches who were knowingly passed over have to decide if they will swallow pride and accept an offer that may or may not come.   

Hell, who even applied for the job?   Do we have that list?   That’ll tell the tale of how coveted this job is.  

Half of Danville has let me know that Coach Clevenger declined to even interview for the job. That’s the reason I started the thread.  Coach Clevenger would rather stay at Danville and fight for the football program in Danville(been a headache for him)  instead of even interviewing for what people say is still one of the best jobs in the state.  

That intrigued me about just how coveted this job is.  

Don't know if HHS asked Clevanger to interview, or if Clevanger applied himself for an interview and then reconsidered. Was told a while back that he called the day before and cancelled though.

If I get some of this wrong let me know. This is what I’ve purged together varies posts about this job. People appear to want a coach that...

HC experience 

Has a high winning percentage 

Has won at least a championship (big game appears very subjective so I believe it’s code for championship)

Runs an offensive that is considered modern and prepares players for the next level. 

Very charismatic/personality a little on the larger side. 

Possibly prefers a HHS man but not required. 

Now who currently coaching in KY checks off all those boxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s realistic they would take the job but who even checks most of those boxes? The person would need to check all of those boxes and more than likely coach a full teaching load. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, barrel said:

If I get some of this wrong let me know. This is what I’ve purged together varies posts about this job. People appear to want a coach that...

HC experience 

Has won at least a championship (big game appears very subjective so I believe it’s code for championship)

Runs an offensive that is considered modern and prepares players for the next level. 

Now who currently coaching in KY checks off all those boxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s realistic they would take the job but who even checks most of those boxes? The person would need to check all of those boxes and more than likely coach a full teaching load. 

Anyone who checks all of those boxes is either happily employed or retired. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BigErn said:

I think it should matter going forward. There is a lesson to be learned for the next HC. I don’t doubt that he may have been generous with his time with Roller, as they were former teammates. But one coach on one team for a season or two is not enough. He had been notoriously absent from the jr league and middle school.  Zero initiative on his part to be even remotely involved. I just hope that’s not the case with the next coach. 

Who would you like to be the next coach? I don’t think anyone has asked this question to you but your posts suggest that it should be someone that would put FTJFL first.

19 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

Who would you like to be the next coach? I don’t think anyone has asked this question to you but your posts suggest that it should be someone that would put FTJFL first.

I would never say that. And I haven’t suggested it. I have only suggested that whoever the coach is, if they’re fortunate enough to have their own feeder system, needs to participate in it. Know the kids, the coaches, etc. Weinrich didn’t do that. I can’t fathom why he would choose not to. And then people wonder why highlands doesn’t draw kids anymore and why others  leave. Their jr league accepts kids from any city, that’s a huge advantage, and they get them. But then they leave and go back to their district high school or somewhere else. Maybe having the HC around, talking to them and showing players some attention, would allow Highlands to keep some of those kids. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BigErn said:

I would never say that. And I haven’t suggested it. I have only suggested that whoever the coach is, if they’re fortunate enough to have their own feeder system, needs to participate in it. Know the kids, the coaches, etc. Weinrich didn’t do that. I can’t fathom why he would choose not to. And then people wonder why highlands doesn’t draw kids anymore and why others  leave. Their jr league accepts kids from any city, that’s a huge advantage, and they get them. But then they leave and go back to their district high school or somewhere else. Maybe having the HC around, talking to them and showing players some attention, would allow Highlands to keep some of those kids. 

You didn’t answer my question and I don’t care about the former coach. Need to be positive and proactive and let the past go.

You do realize now that this all was handled 3 yrs ago for a reason.

Who is BigErn pick? Asking for a friend...

5 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Yes you do. There are a few in the program now that are just unrealistic for their own kids. Those are the cancer. Somehow they think it's okay to call coaches and talk to them about their little Johnny. I'm convinced this is what happened. Coach James was flooded with nonsense that even the seasoned Coach couldn't handle. It's a real shame actually. Most of the parents are really humble but all it takes is One Clown to ruin everything. Someone told me that they think it's the same idiot that poisoned the punch 3 years ago when the former coach was then being ousted only to save the day by starting a resistance. I personally don't know the dude but from what I have heard he's a real charmer.

That’s interesting

24 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

You didn’t answer my question and I don’t care about the former coach. Need to be positive and proactive and let the past go.

You do realize now that this all was handled 3 yrs ago for a reason.

Who is BigErn pick? Asking for a friend...

Well none of us are making the pick for one, and my positivity level will not impact the selection. I was thrilled with Eddie James, and even more so after hearing his press conference. There is a reason he was asked about the junior league and what his involvement level would be. It’s a known issue. Same reason they asked him about platooning, it was a known issue. So to answer your question, I would prefer a younger coach, a high energy guy who can generate some excitement, who’s out there in the community and involved in 3rd-12th not just 10th-12th. And what exactly was handled 3 years ago?  Certainly not BWs level of involvement. 

6 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Yes you do. There are a few in the program now that are just unrealistic for their own kids. Those are the cancer. Somehow they think it's okay to call coaches and talk to them about their little Johnny. I'm convinced this is what happened. Coach James was flooded with nonsense that even the seasoned Coach couldn't handle. It's a real shame actually. Most of the parents are really humble but all it takes is One Clown to ruin everything. Someone told me that they think it's the same idiot that poisoned the punch 3 years ago when the former coach was then being ousted only to save the day by starting a resistance. I personally don't know the dude but from what I have heard he's a real charmer.

Wow someone just got blowed up.

I sure am glad my kids don’t play anymore, there would be “stand down” conversations.

5 hours ago, barrel said:

HC experience 

Bingo. 

...and, another thing (you and I know this, along w others)..good coaches usually don’t leave premier jobs for other premier jobs, especially if that means they are going to have to teach a full load during the season.

There are maybe a couple/few who have done that, but I can guarantee you that their teaching loads aren’t anything. Their administration doesn’t have it twisted. Great teachers? Absolutely positive they are.  Hired to be that where they are? Negative.  Why? Those admin KNOW the full time job that being a head football coach is these days.

Another thing...everybody gets caught up on the W/L record, coached in or won a state title, etc. Easy to do. 

For every HC that might have left one Cadillac for another, there are also guys like:

• Kevin Wallace- who was the HC at Warren East for several years before going back to Bowling Green as an assistant and having that job fall in his lap (he will tell you that).  While at Warren East, he NEVER won a playoff game, overall record was some 10-20 games BELOW .500 and I believe NEVER had a winning season.  As I’ve heard him say before, to myself and others, “there is a reason mules don’t run in the Kentucky Derby”.

• Ty Scroggins- who had a losing record his few years at Doss before getting the Central job and making them the power they were/are.

• Sam Harp - was FIRED from his first HC job in the early/mid 80’s at Calloway County, then gets the Anderson County job- wins their 1st Region Title and gets the Danville job the following offseason, staying there for the next 24 years and winning 7 state titles.

• Like 1

Someone threw a name out that I’m sure would neither apply or be hired but Mark Peach. I believe he has shown what he can do when he has some horses. His offense is fun to watch and tough to play against when he has a few dudes it get it going. 

Speaking of resumes what about a coach who started out coaching small college like NAIA as an OC. Cached in a national championship or two but never won. Then spent 10+ years as a HS OC. Coached in two state title games and won one. Just finished his third year as a HC but in those three never played in a state title game. Does that resume excite anyone? 

There are more good coaches than good coaching jobs. There are guys working miracles places that look subpar because obstacles in their way. Some places either can’t or won’t give coaches the things they need to move a program forward. There is a reason you tend to see the same teams in the same position most years. 

There are reasons guys don’t leave good jobs for other good jobs. They’ve got what they want. They’ve built what they’ve got. In some cases they are appreciated for what they’ve done. If they are competing for titles why leave for another place to compete for a title? Some guys don’t want to coach certain places. They don’t like the area or they have a hard time relating to the players/school/community. 

Once again this isn’t college. There is no multi year deal. There is no buy out. You pick up your family and something goes south for any reason and you can be done in a year. Stuck with a new house and an uprooted family. You’re not going to be able to bring in your staff. HS football is more critical in some ways than college. People don’t watch college practice much. They don’t sit at the table and talk to their son about what’s going on in practice or talk to groups of parents about it. Most of you I’m sure wouldn’t be surprised for the criticism that goes on about practice. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, barrel said:

Someone threw a name out that I’m sure would neither apply or be hired but Mark Peach. I believe he has shown what he can do when he has some horses. His offense is fun to watch and tough to play against when he has a few dudes it get it going. 

Speaking of resumes what about a coach who started out coaching small college like NAIA as an OC. Cached in a national championship or two but never won. Then spent 10+ years as a HS OC. Coached in two state title games and won one. Just finished his third year as a HC but in those three never played in a state title game. Does that resume excite anyone? 

There are more good coaches than good coaching jobs. There are guys working miracles places that look subpar because obstacles in their way. Some places either can’t or won’t give coaches the things they need to move a program forward. There is a reason you tend to see the same teams in the same position most years. 

There are reasons guys don’t leave good jobs for other good jobs. They’ve got what they want. They’ve built what they’ve got. In some cases they are appreciated for what they’ve done. If they are competing for titles why leave for another place to compete for a title? Some guys don’t want to coach certain places. They don’t like the area or they have a hard time relating to the players/school/community. 

Once again this isn’t college. There is no multi year deal. There is no buy out. You pick up your family and something goes south for any reason and you can be done in a year. Stuck with a new house and an uprooted family. You’re not going to be able to bring in your staff. HS football is more critical in some ways than college. People don’t watch college practice much. They don’t sit at the table and talk to their son about what’s going on in practice or talk to groups of parents about it. Most of you I’m sure wouldn’t be surprised for the criticism that goes on about practice. 

This is it.  This is the one.  Right here.  Alllllllll that. 

• Like 3