Is Highlands still a top job?

1 hour ago, WestDanville said:

What exactly makes Highlands so attractive now? It’s a $9,000 coaching stipend which is comparable to pretty much everywhere else. It’s located in one of the more expensive areas in the state to live. It’s a job that expects you to win quickly and consistently with what some on here have said is a lack of talent. The only pro I see anymore is they have a great tradition and support from the administration. As an outsider looking in I can’t say it’s a job that would make me want to leave where I’m at if I was making comparable money somewhere else with equal support. 

It’s an attractive job for the same reasons it has been for the last 60 years. Just because they’re in a drought doesn’t change that. It’s the best public school system in the state. It’s ranked as the safest city in the state, while also being 3 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. Property values never drop, there’s great community support and top notch facilities. And Highlands has their own junior league / feeder system. That’s why 24 coaches applied. 

26 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Highlands will be back. Everyone knows it, winning is what HHS does. Just a matter of how long it takes. 

They most certainly will....but every year it becomes tougher to win a State Championship in 5A or 4A. Have had people tell me that 14-1 without winning it all is an unsuccessful season and that I just don't get it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 9068 said:

They most certainly will....but every year it becomes tougher to win a State Championship in 5A or 4A. Have had people tell me that 14-1 without winning it all is an unsuccessful season and that I just don't get it.

Those people aren't to be taken serious, IMO. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BigErn said:

It’s an attractive job for the same reasons it has been for the last 60 years. Just because they’re in a drought doesn’t change that. It’s the best public school system in the state. It’s ranked as the safest city in the state, while also being 3 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. Property values never drop, there’s great community support and top notch facilities. And Highlands has their own junior league / feeder system. That’s why 24 coaches applied. 

So it’s attractive but not attractive enough to draw a coach away that’s already in a similar position? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestDanville said:

So it’s attractive but not attractive enough to draw a coach away that’s already in a similar position? 

Says who? It’s not the end all be all, but it’s a great job. They got their number 2 man, and he got cold feet. There’s a reason why “Highlands” was written on a folded up piece of paper he kept in his wallet. I fail to see how anything that has transpired would lead someone to believe it isn’t an attractive job anymore. Because Wolfe turned them down? Highlands is probably the only school he would even consider. And apparently he did.

16 minutes ago, BigErn said:

Says who? It’s not the end all be all, but it’s a great job. They got their number 2 man, and he got cold feet. There’s a reason why “Highlands” was written on a folded up piece of paper he kept in his wallet. I fail to see how anything that has transpired would lead someone to believe it isn’t an attractive job anymore. Because Wolfe turned them down? Highlands is probably the only school he would even consider. And apparently he did.

I’m just asking questions. I stated earlier in the thread I thought it was still a good job. It’s just becoming apparent that it’s not good enough to draw a coach that is already at another good job. 

13 minutes ago, WestDanville said:

I’m just asking questions. I stated earlier in the thread I thought it was still a good job. It’s just becoming apparent that it’s not good enough to draw a coach that is already at another good job. 

How so?  Do you know who all applied?  They turned down 22 candidates. I’m sure a number of their names have been floated on here. They wanted the job. Who was number 3? We don’t know. We do know that Wolfe was on the fence, and supposedly wanted more than they were willing to offer. But he was interested. James was willing and then freaked out. I still don’t see any evidence that supports your claim. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigErn said:

We do know that Wolfe was on the fence, and supposedly wanted more than they were willing to offer. But he was interested.

This is probably a discussion for another thread, but it seems like Wolfe may just want out of Male, for whatever reason. Showing interest in Highlands and Trinity at basically the same time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigErn said:

How so?  Do you know who all applied?  They turned down 22 candidates. I’m sure a number of their names have been floated on here. They wanted the job. Who was number 3? We don’t know. We do know that Wolfe was on the fence, and supposedly wanted more than they were willing to offer. But he was interested. James was willing and then freaked out. I still don’t see any evidence that supports your claim. 

You are correct I do not know who applied or who is still currently being considered. This whole thread could be for naught depending on who they end up hiring. Just stating what it looks like from the outside looking in. The hiring process can take a while, I learned that last year waiting what seemed like an eternity for Boyle to hire a coach. 

9 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This is probably a discussion for another thread, but it seems like Wolfe may just want out of Male, for whatever reason. Showing interest in Highlands and Trinity at basically the same time. 

Pretty good company for an unattractive job. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigErn said:

So where are you getting your information from?  Obviously there is a leak somewhere in the house.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You honestly don’t believe Highlands is a target in football?  Every school that plays them right now is relishing the thought of not only beating them, but beating them soundly because of past history.  As for past player comment, it comes with the territory.  I always thought it was “Play To Win” and the fun part was in winning.  

I also have heard from many that it was not “fun” to play football at Highlands the past few years.  So you are correct in that it needs to be fun and the kids have to want to put in the time, but that starts at the top and trickles down. 

I agree it is time to flip the script and give the kids what they deserve, a fun experience where everyone is all in for the team and not out for themselves.  There is no “I” in team and that means ALL players get the same treatment whether they are stars or backups.

I will say this to the kids since they read and hear this and are influenced by it.  You get out of things what you put into them.  You want to get better then stay after practice and work on your craft.  Coaches need not be present.  This helps bring comraderie and unity to the team.  Don’t believe all of this rhetoric about lack of talent, believe in yourself as a football player , work hard and good things will come your way.

Well said JOAT. I agree 1000%
#PlayToWin

Am I allowed to say that? I don’t want to put any unnecessary pressure on anyone.