Is Highlands still a top job?

33 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Bathiany and Lickert are still good options in my book. I’m not sure Wolfe is a possibility or not.  I actually prefer if the head coach played at Highlands and knew what state championship culture is all about. Just because 4 old Highlands players get upset because a potential hire jilted the school after committing doesn’t mean the whole town is crazy. We are proud of our state championship culture and we want to continue it. 

I think Highlands needed a non-Highlands guy when they hired Duffy, but right now I think Highlands needs someone who is a deep-down Highlands guy.

• Like 3

I think it's an outstanding job.  I also think it's a very tough job.  Beginning to think Wolfe likes being pawed at.  I don't know that but just a feeling I have.  Of course he is also at a very good job.  Maybe THE best public school job in the state.  So if you're judging the HHS job on not being able to pull CW, I think it's not a fair judgement.  But yes, I think it's an outstanding job. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You do realize that Eddie Eviston is his uncle correct?  Can Hergott would have been at Highlands at the same time.  Who you think would have played?

Just another misinformed poster looking to take potshots at Highlands 

Like I said from the outside looking in. we just thought it was interesting. 

5 hours ago, BEChargers said:

I think it's an outstanding job.  I also think it's a very tough job.  Beginning to think Wolfe likes being pawed at.  I don't know that but just a feeling I have.  Of course he is also at a very good job.  Maybe THE best public school job in the state.  So if you're judging the HHS job on not being able to pull CW, I think it's not a fair judgement.  But yes, I think it's an outstanding job. 

Isn’t Wolfe a Highlands guy?   

So far the consensus is that it is a good job, one of the best in the state, but yet here we are with it still being open and no clue who the next coach will be.  

IMO even the best coaches in the state would want the job if it was that enticing.  It should be easy to fill if it was that good of a job.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

Isn’t Wolfe a Highlands guy?   

Yes, lots of Highlands guys. Weinrich was a Highlands guy too. There are two really good candidates that are Highlands guys. Throughout Highlands history many of the coaching greats have been Highlands guys. 

The reason the search is going rough is because the really good coaches all want to be AD too. After Dale, Highlands made AD a stand alone position. That’s 75% of the trouble getting someone really good. That problem could be solved easily, but Highlands isn’t quick to terminate a position. 

• Like 3

Top job in terms of prestige, resources, support, and a tradition/pride built into players at the youngest of ages.

With that said, the framework of modern football has not been kind to Highlands, especially with restriction they have put on themselves in terms of moving into the District. 

This will really bother people, but football is quickly trending the direction of basketball. The ability to make sure the talent pool will fill your cup and people want to be a part of your program is becoming more and more of a real thing and Highlands' exclusivity is not exactly designed to make this a smooth transition.

Throw in the fact that CovCath has kind of lapped them as their primary rival in more ways than the scoreboard, and I think it becomes paramount Highlands finds the person with the right vision to look at the Highlands program through the windshield and not the rear view mirror.

That's just one man's opinion with no skin in the game.

• Like 2

Here is the deal in a nutshell.

1. Highlands will be fine. It's still a top 10-15 job in the state. I think 1-5 fluctuate year to year, but the household names are still, and will more than likely FOREVER be that...just like they've been since this game started in KY.
  2. Highlands supporters have every reason to be upset, just as Coach James has every right to follow his heart once the dust settles and he did just that. Could it have been handled differently? Sure.  As @BEChargers said in another post..."A very good man and coach made a poor choice."  I'm not sure about all that are upset (although I have a pretty good idea), but Lord knows that's fit me at times in my life, annnnnnnd probably have more than a fair share left in the tank 😆. (Several other coaches have had a late change of heart before- some state championship winning coaches.)
  3. After reading Coach James announcement that he was coming back to Franklin County, I absolutely and WHOLE HEARTEDLY believe all that he said and I also think the following went through his head as well- although he didn't say just like this verbatim.

"We also have a chance to be really, really good here at Franklin County next year and for the years to come. We have some absolute DUDES on our varsity roster next year with more and more on the way. We have updated our facilities since being here- turf being one of them. The pay in Franklin County is also great, all while working with some great people in our hometown. All of that factored in- we have just as good of resources right now as Highlands. We have all of that here, with MUCH LESS pressure. After all the dust settled on everything that is 'Highlands'- I realized everything we need is right here in front of us at Franklin County."

If Franklin County was about to be left for dead- milked that cow for all it's worth- reached it's "pinnacle"? We aren't talking about this right now. 

• Like 1

Living in this town for many years there are a lot of intangibles that make football great; however you do have some parents that has coaches and ad on speed dial to inquire why little Johnny isn’t on the field.  You have another group that throws money around believe they are the first families of football.  It even goes to bias reporting.  If you watched games this year you know exactly what I am talking about.  What’s lost in that are the boys currently working now with strength and conditioning coaches, weekend pass drills not waiting on a coach and transition. 

They read crap that a coach elected not to come because of talent and game tape.  Here is a thought stop the 🎪 circus, hush the hiring committee, consult with past HHS greats.  The downside to this was coach James said exactly what was needed but the Lord has a way of shutting doors and opening windows.  I believe there is a candidate out there.

• Like 2

What makes the Bathiany guy a quality candidate? To me he is an unknown. A lot different coaching high school football as the HC at Highlands then coaching on lower college levels as a position coach. 

If I’m Highlands I’m going after someone who is an established HC that has success building a program up. The Walton-Verona coach has done wonders and I think Lickert would also be a good hire as well. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yes, lots of Highlands guys. Weinrich was a Highlands guy too. There are two really good candidates that are Highlands guys. Throughout Highlands history many of the coaching greats have been Highlands guys. 

The reason the search is going rough is because the really good coaches all want to be AD too. After Dale, Highlands made AD a stand alone position. That’s 75% of the trouble getting someone really good. That problem could be solved easily, but Highlands isn’t quick to terminate a position. 

Absolutely.

At the end of the day, right or wrong, it is what it is:

Your 8-3 (and beyond) "main job" and the money situation matters. Which (and, this is for another thread) is why you aren't seeing many current head coaches playing leapfrog for other jobs &/or more than anything...seeing MORE getting out of it altogether than are going in.

The expectations (even at some of your middle of the pack schools) are of one that is a full time job, when the fact of the matter is....you don't have the luxury of treating it as such. 

I am only inquiring, not making an assumption, but does anyone know how many coaches in NKY applied for the job? All I have heard is one but granted I have no inside knowledge. Could that be telling if Coach Lickert is the only coach that applied/interviewed? Again, just bringing up the topic of conversation, not insinuating anything.