Beechwood 24 Lexington Christian Academy 23 (Class 2A State Championship) (OT)

theguru

1 minute ago, PP1 said:

Not sure what this question means

So with 2 secs left in the 4th, LCA missed a game winning 44 yd FG by hitting the upright. This was on college goal posts which are 18'6". High School goal posts are 23'4". Only missed kick of the game other than the block in OT.  If HS goal posts, game over LCA wins 20-17. Instead, to OT and Beechwood pulls it out 24-23. 

I'm not saying they should be switched, just curious of other's opinions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WCardinal said:

So with 2 secs left in the 4th, LCA missed a game winning 44 yd FG by hitting the upright. This was on college goal posts which are 18'6". High School goal posts are 23'4". Only missed kick of the game other than the block in OT.  If HS goal posts, game over LCA wins 20-17. Instead, to OT and Beechwood pulls it out 24-23. 

I'm not saying they should be switched, just curious of other's opinions.

I’m not sure but I don’t believe Kroger field has HS hashes either. I’m not a fan of the fact teams play all season with Fed uprights and in the biggest game of the year it’s college uprights. College hash marks also change things. Not as much as the uprights but it does still change things. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, barrel said:

I’m not sure but I don’t believe Kroger field has HS hashes either. I’m not a fan of the fact teams play all season with Fed uprights and in the biggest game of the year it’s college uprights. College hash marks also change things. Not as much as the uprights but it does still change things. 

The three point line is moved for the sweet 16... Just a thought...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WCardinal said:

The three point line is moved for the sweet 16... Just a thought...

College goalposts were originally 18'6" and were widened to 23'4" in 1959. I believe high school goal posts followed the same course, originally matching the NFL's 18'6" width and then widening when college football widened their goal posts. Then college switched back to 18'6" in 1991.

With the exception of the 3A title games in 1959, 1961, 1962, and 1963, which were played at Manual Stadium, every single state championship game has been played on a college field, so in essence, that's been an "issue" for state championship games since 1991.

In my opinion, dealing with the goal posts at the finals are a part of winning a state championship.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BlueKernels said:

Awful play calling by LCA most of the game. 

Congrats to Beechwood on a tough win!

Really poor from both sides honestly. Not sure how many times LCA could stuff the Hergott draw up the middle before we tried something else! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

College goalposts were originally 18'6" and were widened to 23'4" in 1959. I believe high school goal posts followed the same course, originally matching the NFL's 18'6" width and then widening when college football widened their goal posts. Then college switched back to 18'6" in 1991.

With the exception of the 3A title games in 1959, 1961, 1962, and 1963, which were played at Manual Stadium, every single state championship game has been played on a college field, so in essence, that's been an "issue" for state championship games since 1991.

In my opinion, dealing with the goal posts at the finals are a part of winning a state championship.

What do the official rules say about the narrower uprights and hash marks?     I would guess that they have to be permissible.