Beechwood 24 Lexington Christian Academy 23 (Class 2A State Championship) (OT)

theguru

1 hour ago, oldgrappler said:

I had the pleasure of attending this game.  As was noted above, LCA could run on BW.  I think the LCA coaches will look back at the film and have to ask themselves why they chose to pass at certain key moments, like when down on the BW 13.  Towards the end of the first half, LCA started running the ball consistently and they were gashing the BW defense.  They turned the momentum of the game with the run.  And I thought, "Uh oh, they just found the formula to win this game."  On the first possession of the 2nd half, LCA turned loose Xavier Brown and he responded with a 67 yard TD run.  The momentum had completely turned at the beginning of the 2nd half.  But then it seemed like the LCA coaches started to over-think it.  Again, I thought to myself, "If I'm BW, I'd rather the LCA QB pass the ball than run it himself or hand-off to Brown or #9.  All three of them were getting large chunks of real estate on the ground.  When they went to the air, it was a crap shoot as to what might happen. 

They were getting 7 yards a carry. Why not stick with the run?  Didn't they watch the Dixie film or the film from the previous game with West Carter?  Down on the BW 13 with an opportunity to really put the pressure on with a score, my assumption was LCA will pound the ball.  It will take them two plays max to score.  But, instead they throw a dinky pass out to the side and Hatfield anticipated it and picked it off and added a long return.  That was a huge play.  

You have to give the Tigers a lot of credit.  They went through some adversity in this game but hung in there and made the big play when it was needed.  Rash picked the right time to throw to a FB that hadn't caught a pass all year and easily score on the first possession of OT with one play.  Kick was good.  That kick would be the margin of victory as the middle of the BW line came up with a huge block to end the game.  I am very happy for BW.  What a great victory!  Their first 2A State Championship.  It was electric.  

Loved everything about this post, except one thing. O’Shea who caught that OT touchdown, that was his second receiving touchdown of the year. Excellent play call in the perfect time to do it. They’ve ran that play only a handful of times with it only being successful to my knowledge throughout the season once.  😇 GO Tigers! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Can one of them throw a ball?  I have an extra bedroom!

All this focus on QB is understandable, but mis-guided. IMO, Only issue Beechwood will have next year is replacing Henry Nachazel on the line. Great kid and player. After returning Junior Luke Slusher (6’5” 280), no one breaks 6’ tall and while they play their heart out and great as a unit, still need beef to go against the big boys. Need some off season work upfront from the underclass men to protect WHOEVER succeeds Hergott and repeat. Coach B can work wonders no doubt, but kids gotta put time in weight room like Slusher did last year.  I have no doubt they will, but make no mistake this year was won in the trenches. If those kids don’t band together and do what they did, Friday night does not happen, period. 

And BTW, Freshman QB Sowder had a very good year so cupboard is not bare by any means........ 😎

26 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

All this focus on QB is understandable, but mis-guided. IMO, Only issue Beechwood will have next year is replacing Henry Nachazel on the line. Great kid and player. After returning Junior Luke Slusher (6’5” 280), no one breaks 6’ tall and while they play their heart out and great as a unit, still need beef to go against the big boys. Need some off season work upfront from the underclass men to protect WHOEVER succeeds Hergott and repeat. Coach B can work wonders no doubt, but kids gotta put time in weight room like Slusher did last year.  I have no doubt they will, but make no mistake this year was won in the trenches. If those kids don’t band together and do what they did, Friday night does not happen, period. 

And BTW, Freshman QB Sowder had a very good year so cupboard is not bare by any means........ 😎

So let me get this straight, you don’t think replacing Cam Hergott will be an issue?!!

The kid accounted for over 80% of the offense and you don’t think finding a replacement is going to be critical to success?

You must have a solid O Line to succeed, that is 100% true, but you don’t lose a player like Cam Hergott and just think you can plug anybody in there and not miss a beat.

32 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

So let me get this straight, you don’t think replacing Cam Hergott will be an issue?!!

The kid accounted for over 80% of the offense and you don’t think finding a replacement is going to be critical to success?

You must have a solid O Line to succeed, that is 100% true, but you don’t lose a player like Cam Hergott and just think you can plug anybody in there and not miss a beat.

To entertain your thought that I am insinuating that we won’t miss Cam is not even worthy to type. A kid like Cam is irreplaceable, and goes without saying. But not surprised someone on here tries to twist words....... 🤦‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

To entertain your thought that I am insinuating that we won’t miss Cam is not even worthy to type. A kid like Cam is irreplaceable, and goes without saying. But not surprised someone on here tries to twist words....... 🤦‍♂️ 

You said the ONLY issue Beechwood would have next year would be replacing Nachazel. That would imply that replacing Cam is not an issue. What did I get twisted?

49 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

You said the ONLY issue Beechwood would have next year would be replacing Nachazel. That would imply that replacing Cam is not an issue. What did I get twisted?

Think he was saying it’s apparent that Hergott will need replaced but if there’s no line to protect the next QB, it doesn’t matter who they put under center. 

• Like 1