Beechwood 24 Lexington Christian Academy 23 (Class 2A State Championship) (OT)

theguru

21 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I figure he's the heir apparent for the Tigers.

Honestly, I haven't seen him play before, but his dad was a great QB at Cov Cath, and his uncle is a different great QB at Cov Cath.

Heck yeah Adam was a great Qb at Cov Cath. I still to this day can’t believe you guys didn’t win the 92 title. That team was loaded! 

59 minutes ago, WCardinal said:

Not to mention that Hergott went 12-26 and had 2 picks. Would have been 4 or 5 picks if not for lucky flags. Overall, a very sloppy game with a lot of turnovers and penalties.

When you hold a receiver to keep him close to you so he can't get open and then you intercept the pass, is that a lucky flag? It's a big play because you held the receiver illegally to make the big play.

When you make a nice run around the end and the reason you were able to get the end is because the defender is being held, is it a lucky flag when the 40 yard run gets called back? 

A lot of times the reason big plays happen because a penalty is the reason it was a big play.

I found it interesting looking at the stats and seeing that both teams were penalized for 92 yards.  Both teams can complain about penalties in this game but in the end it came out even.

• Like 2

For clarification purposes, junior WR Liam McCormack is ex-CovCath QB Adam McCormack's son. Liam - at this time at least - hasn't been identified as the heir apparent. 

He has - in fact - emerged over the last 6-7 games as one of the top wide outs on the Tiger roster. He finished the year with 5 TD's - including 3 in the playoffs. He's a big, fast, strong receiver (see his TD grab against NCC during the regular season) that I don't see moving out of that position. I would say that McCormack is clearly the Tigers' Most Improved Player this year.

This year's backup QB was sophomore Nazario Pangallo, who shows promise. He's athletic and very intelligent. He could slide into the role and be very successful.

W

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevilMayCare said:

It could just be me, but I think it's been a very quiet six championships. He's building his own legend while following a Mount Rushmore caliber coach at Beechwood, plus several other guys around him on the list of titles won are contemporaries that are either still coaching or recently retired. On top of that, he seems like a humble, unassuming man. 

I couldn't agree more with this.  Class guy that probably doesn't get the credit he deserves.  They have talent but he works with what he has every year and each team looks a little different.  Don't know that I could even put a finger on their "system".  He adapts to what he has and makes it work.  Congrats o Beechwood!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Where does this rank among Beechwood's championship wins? Despite what the BGP poll showed, the Tigers were the clear underdog coming in. I can't think of too many occasions where that was the case and they won.

Not to mention the drama and how it ended.

I mean, I’d move this to the top 5 of the state wins....  nothing will beat 1984...  that was a game that will be burnt into my 6th grade mind forever... There are some other great State wins, but the fact that this is 2A, in my opinion, answers a lot of questions on whether or not Beechwood didn’t belong in 1A b/c it was too easy.  Think about it, two 1pt wins to get to be state champions is pretty awesome.  Also, I think it says there were 3 teams in 2A that could easily have been state champs.  Nothing against Beechwood’s win... but it came down to 3 or 4 plays over the last 2 games.  West Carter and LCA have nothing to be ashamed about... they are great football teams.  Beechwood came up 1-2 plays better in each game.  I’m happy for that.  I love high school football!  BTW, I love this website!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BrickhouseCOV said:

I mean, I’d move this to the top 5 of the state wins....  nothing will beat 1984...  that was a game that will be burnt into my 6th grade mind forever... There are some other great State wins, but the fact that this is 2A, in my opinion, answers a lot of questions on whether or not Beechwood didn’t belong in 1A b/c it was too easy.  Think about it, two 1pt wins to get to be state champions is pretty awesome.  Also, I think it says there were 3 teams in 2A that could easily have been state champs.  Nothing against Beechwood’s win... but it came down to 3 or 4 plays over the last 2 games.  West Carter and LCA have nothing to be ashamed about... they are great football teams.  Beechwood came up 1-2 plays better in each game.  I’m happy for that.  I love high school football!  BTW, I love this website!

1984 is special because it was the first one. We had some teams in the 90’s who would have beat almost anyone in the state.

3 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Where does this rank among Beechwood's championship wins? Despite what the BGP poll showed, the Tigers were the clear underdog coming in. I can't think of too many occasions where that was the case and they won.

Not to mention the drama and how it ended.

I think this one today and the 1994 game vs Murray was the craziest! Both of these games came down to the last play. We were the heavy favorites vs Murray. Nobody outside of Ft Mitchell gave this team a chance to win today.