Beechwood 24 Lexington Christian Academy 23 (Class 2A State Championship) (OT)

theguru

21 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Beechwood returns 4 out of 5 offensive lineman and loses a potential Mr Football candidate that just put up the single greatest season in school history at QB. I think it’s pretty evident what the most glaring need will be.

On the bright side the Beechwood coaching staff is one of the best in the business! You have Pangallo who got minutes this year, Sowder a freshman this year, and O’Shea who played JV/F QB last year, and warmed up this year at QB as well. I don’t think they have another Mr. football candidate up next, but the Tigers will find a way to get it done. 

• Like 2

Next year's offense will be different. The offense Beechwood ran the past couple years leveraged Cam's skills, both running and passing. They aren't going to plug someone in and run the same offense. There isn't another Cam Hergott waiting in the wings. There is no set system on offense at Beechwood. The playbook revolves around what the talent is on that year's team. 

Hergott's sophomore year (2018), Beechwood won the 1A title and they had a 1,700 yard rusher in Logan Castleman. That 2018 team rushed for 3,200 yards. This year's team only rushed for 1,800 yards as  team with Hergott throwing for almost 2,500 yards. 

In 2017, Beechwood won the 1A title with Brayden Burch at QB. Burch rushed for -46 yards on the year, but he threw for almost 2,000 yards. Obviously not a running QB but a very effective passer, and a very strong leader. James Davis rushed for over 1,400 yards on that team. 

In the 2008 title run, Beechwood only threw for 1,248 yards and had over 4,000 yards rushing. The QB that year was Matt Rigdon and he was the second leading rusher on the team. So there you had a total run focused team with a rushing QB. 

You see my point? The offense will be built to maximize the talent. It isn't built around the QB having rushing ability. Beechwood has won titles with a running QB and they have won titles with a QB who doesn't run the ball. With Hergott this year they won with a QB who was very good throwing the ball and the leading rusher on the team with over 1,000 yards rushing. It is hard to say what it will look like next year but I expect it to be back to being more run focused with a feature running back.

To LoudenSwain's point though, Beechwood always has good skill players. The years they are at their best is when they have some beef up front. Finding the beef is the challenge year in and year out at Beechwood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Next year's offense will be different. The offense Beechwood ran the past couple years leveraged Cam's skills, both running and passing. They aren't going to plug someone in and run the same offense. There isn't another Cam Hergott waiting in the wings. There is no set system on offense at Beechwood. The playbook revolves around what the talent is on that year's team. 

Hergott's sophomore year (2018), Beechwood won the 1A title and they had a 1,700 yard rusher in Logan Castleman. That 2018 team rushed for 3,200 yards. This year's team only rushed for 1,800 yards as  team with Hergott throwing for almost 2,500 yards. 

In 2017, Beechwood won the 1A title with Brayden Burch at QB. Burch rushed for -46 yards on the year, but he threw for almost 2,000 yards. Obviously not a running QB but a very effective passer, and a very strong leader. James Davis rushed for over 1,400 yards on that team. 

In the 2008 title run, Beechwood only threw for 1,248 yards and had over 4,000 yards rushing. The QB that year was Matt Rigdon and he was the second leading rusher on the team. So there you had a total run focused team with a rushing QB. 

You see my point? The offense will be built to maximize the talent. It isn't built around the QB having rushing ability. Beechwood has won titles with a running QB and they have won titles with a QB who doesn't run the ball. It is hard to say what it will look like next year but I expect it to be back to being more run focused with a feature running back.

To LoudenSwain's point though, Beechwood always has good skill players. The years they are at their best is when they have some beef up front. Finding the beef is the challenge year in and year out at Beechwood. 

Yeah, I see your point, and my point is, they return 4 of the 5 offensive lineman, and have replacements waiting in the wings with Austin Waddell and potentially Tanner Jackson if he bumps down to the line. The O Line will be just fine next year. Yes, Beechwood revolves their offense around the talent they have at certain positions, but the loss at QB is HUGE.  The line will be better next year than it was this year. Nobody walking through the door is going to replace Hergott. 

2 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Yeah, I see your point, and my point is, they return 4 of the 5 offensive lineman, and have replacements waiting in the wings with Austin Waddell and potentially Tanner Jackson if he bumps down to the line. The O Line will be just fine next year. Yes, Beechwood revolves their offense around the talent they have at certain positions, but the loss at QB is HUGE.  The line will be better next year than it was this year. Nobody walking through the door is going to replace Hergott. 

True, no one replaces Hergott and my point is no one needs to. The offense will be different and it will be productive, just like it has been in the past over the years.

Good call on Jackson moving to offensive tackle next year. I think that is a good move for him and for the team. Also, it should be noted Beechwood lost their starting guard Gibbs for the season in their last scrimmage. He will be back next year. 

3 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

I don’t see Austin Waddell moving to the OL. He’s going to be a MLB to keep your eyes on. Offensively, he’ll likely continue to be used as a FB and TE.  Blake Shepherd was the rare MLB and Center last year, and I think little brother is playing center now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

I don’t see Austin Waddell moving to the OL. He’s going to be a MLB to keep your eyes on. Offensively, he’ll likely continue to be used as a FB and TE.  Blake Shepherd was the rare MLB and Center last year, and I think little brother is playing center now.

I was curious of what they will do with Waddell. He’s a stud and is easily as good as the starting linebacker core. You have Berger, Hatfield, Courtney. None of which are seniors, so do you get Waddell on the field at another position or does a LB move to another position and Waddell takes their place? I could see Courtney being moved to corner to replace Cole Stammer. But it’s hard to see Waddell being anywhere other than LB with just how well he plays that position. 

• 11 months later...