3a fan rankings for fun.

mhighfield

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by wildcatjack

10)Boyd Co.

Rockcastle still has to prove themselves against a decent opponent to be ahead of the 10 in there. Cov Catholic is lurking but are 0-2 and the loss to Boone knocks them out, at least for now...

Can Boyd really make 40 some points against Rock from one season. To think Covington Catholic couldn't beat Boyd County, well:rolleyes: :rolleyes: but it is your opinion...:D

Originally posted by 3wishes

Can Boyd really make 40 some points against Rock from one season. To think Covington Catholic couldn't beat Boyd County, well:rolleyes: :rolleyes: but it is your opinion...:D

I think Rockcastle lost a ton from last year and Boyd has alot coming back..In addition, the 18-0 shutout victory over Belfry

is alot more impressive than the Larue victory by the Rocks...

As far as Cov Cath goes, they're probably right up there with

all of the top 10, but, imo, 0-2 and Boone Co. ain't that strong..

The St X loss was no shame, but, I think the GCL teams are a little overhyped by everyone...

Originally posted by Oldbird

I and many expected Mason to dominate and look good doing it which they have.

As far as Lawrence County, I have one question. How good is Bourbon County? Because if Sheldon is good and Bourbon is only 6 points worse, Bourbon must be pretty darn good too.

I don't know how good Bourbon County is, but any game against an eastern Kentucky team is a big one for Chuke Williams. I know that Lawrence County is loaded, and unless it loses Short and/or Storts again this season to injuries, they should be favored to win their district until somebody beats them.

The perception among many eastern Kentucky BGP'ers that northern Kentucky teams begin the season with "bonus points" in the BGP poll is not totally without merit. After a 6-6 campaign, one would have thought that Covington Catholic might have something to prove coming into this season. Yet, the Colonels were awarded for last year's disappointing campaign with a lofty preseason ranking.

I am not saying that CovCath did not deserve its ranking, based on returning talent. What I am saying that there often seems to be a presumption of excellence for NKY teams, and a presumption of mediocrity for EKY teams, even in the face of contradictary evidence. Covington Catholic is now 0-2, and I expect that they will remain in the top 10. Lawrence County is 2-0, coming off of an 8-3 season in which they failed to make the playoffs, but loaded with experience, and they will be lucky to sneak in at No. 10.

In defending Lawrence County not getting taken more seriously, I often see references made to the Bulldog teams of several years ago that racked up huge margins of victories but could not stop good teams from scoring in the playoffs. The fact that Chuke Williams is coaching Bourbon County, and not Lawrence County does not seem to matter to many voters.

Russell received the same lack of respect last season. When the Red Devils gave Ashland an early season scare at Putnam Stadium, many attributed it to the fact that Ashland wasn't that good. When Russell beat Mason County the first time, many people attributed it to the weather that slowed down the high powered Royal offense.

My point is, top 10 teams, and even championship caliber teams do arise from all parts of the state, and in all classes except 4A. Even if you do not consider Bourbon County a quality team, a narrow opening game win following a 2-1/2 or 3 hour bus trip does not necessarily mean Sheldon Clark is not a "good" team. Neither does a lopsided loss to a deep, experienced 3A Lawrence County team.

When Mason County struggles or even loses a game or two in the district, I hope that you will consider the possibility that its district may be a bit stronger than you thought, and not conclude that you overrated Mason County's strength.

i agree eagle i think lawernce is a super team and i honestly like moason chances of going 10-0 but i have all long if they loose 1 game it will probally be the lawernce game at loiusa i think they will handle ashland and rowan on the road the rset is at home and dont see an l there at all this year.so i think they may shock this powerful district this year and run the table but i also thought that last year and there was a devil in our way so we will see thats why they play the games.

Originally posted by mhighfield

i agree eagle i think lawernce is a super team and i honestly like moason chances of going 10-0 but i have all long if they loose 1 game it will probally be the lawernce game at loiusa i think they will handle ashland and rowan on the road the rset is at home and dont see an l there at all this year.so i think they may shock this powerful district this year and run the table but i also thought that last year and there was a devil in our way so we will see thats why they play the games.

I meant no disrespect to Mason County. The Royals obviously have a talented, well coached team. However, I think had Lawrence County remained reasonably healthy last season, they would have won the district, and I think that they will be even better this season than last year's "healthy" team would have been. Mason County's athleticism will give them a chance to win any game they play this season, but they will need to avoid a rash of turnovers and hope for good weather to get through the district and season undefeated.

Originally posted by HoosierEagle

The perception among many eastern Kentucky BGP'ers that northern Kentucky teams begin the season with "bonus points" in the BGP poll is not totally without merit. After a 6-6 campaign, one would have thought that Covington Catholic might have something to prove coming into this season. Yet, the Colonels were awarded for last year's disappointing campaign with a lofty preseason ranking.

I am not saying that CovCath did not deserve its ranking, based on returning talent. What I am saying that there often seems to be a presumption of excellence for NKY teams, and a presumption of mediocrity for EKY teams, even in the face of contradictary evidence. Covington Catholic is now 0-2, and I expect that they will remain in the top 10. Lawrence County is 2-0, coming off of an 8-3 season in which they failed to make the playoffs, but loaded with experience, and they will be lucky to sneak in at No. 10.

CovCath's 6 losses last year were to Cincy Moeller, Columbus (OH) DeSales (a very good team no one in Ky knows much about), Dixie (a team that played Trinity as well as anybody outside of Male), Ryle (most inexplicable loss of year), Highlands, and LexCath (by 2 points on a late 40 yd FG). This 6 - 6 campaign becomes a little more understandable when you look at the caliber of these teams. The 0 -2 start this year includes a game where the Colonels played Cincy X closer than did Trinity and a 2 point loss to a big rival in Boone County (who I believe will be better than people give them credit for). The coaching staff faces the challenge of keeping this team mentally into the season. These pre-destrict games mean nothing. It will be interesting to see where/if CovCath is ranked this week.

i honestly believe that Mason and LC will be undefeated when they lock horns in Louisa. The winner of that game to me at this time is still UNKNOWN. Both teams are VERY good and i wouldnt know who to pick as for a winner in that game. its gonna be too close to call for anyone. but i do believe that this district has a great chance of producing this years regional champion.:dancingpa

Originally posted by colonel-fan

CovCath's 6 losses last year were to Cincy Moeller, Columbus (OH) DeSales (a very good team no one in Ky knows much about), Dixie (a team that played Trinity as well as anybody outside of Male), Ryle (most inexplicable loss of year), Highlands, and LexCath (by 2 points on a late 40 yd FG). This 6 - 6 campaign becomes a little more understandable when you look at the caliber of these teams. The 0 -2 start this year includes a game where the Colonels played Cincy X closer than did Trinity and a 2 point loss to a big rival in Boone County (who I believe will be better than people give them credit for). The coaching staff faces the challenge of keeping this team mentally into the season. These pre-destrict games mean nothing. It will be interesting to see where/if CovCath is ranked this week.

Nobody in there right mind would dispute the difficulty of last year's Covington Catholic schedule. I think that the schedule was so strong that it made building confidence and momentumn going into the playoffs virtually impossible. However, the fact remains that the teams that CovCath lost to were much stronger than the teams that it beat. Had the Colonels recorded an upset or two last season against some of the stronger teams on its schedule, then I think CovCath would have a better case for its lofty preseason ranking. But the fact is, they beat the teams that they were expected to beat, lost to teams that they were expected to lose to, and lost a toss-up or two for good measure.

Tradition and past performance should always be considered when ranking teams, but recent history should be more heavily weighted than ancient history. Looking at last season's performance and this season's early season results, I don't see where Covington Catholic or Mason County should be given a nod over the Bulldogs. That doesn't mean that both teams won't have better seasons, but I just can't see dismissing Lawrence County's chances on the basis of the available facts.

However, the fact remains that the teams that CovCath lost to were much stronger than the teams that it beat.

IsnÕt that true for almost all teams?

Tradition and past performance should always be considered when ranking teams, but recent history should be more heavily weighted than ancient history. Looking at last season's performance and this season's early season results, I don't see where Covington Catholic or Mason County should be given a nod over the Bulldogs. That doesn't mean that both teams won't have better seasons, but I just can't see dismissing Lawrence County's chances on the basis of the available facts.

Covington Catholic has lost by 5 points to a team that beat Trinity by 7 and lost a rain-delayed and resumed game to Boone County, a solid 4A program.

Lawrence County beat Pikeville, a solid Class A team and Sheldon Clark, which most of us project as a good Class 2A team.

Ask yourself this question ... would Lawrence County have beaten either Cincy St. X or Boone? Is there any reason to think CovCath wouldn't beat Pikeville and Sheldon Clark handily, given their first two efforts?

Look at it this way ... do you believe it's possible that a team that goes 0-2 against SEC or Big 10 competition could be better than a team that went 2-0 against Conference USA teams or MAC teams to start the season? ThatÕs the difference in the level of competition that CovCath and Lawrence has played so far.

Cov Cath may be 0-2 so far, but they played Cincy St. X as well or even better than "mighty Trinity" did. If ANY 3A TEAM (Boyle Co., HHS, Mason Co., PT, Rockcastle Co., Hoptown, I don't care who) in KY played the kind of schedule Cov Cath did, they'd get pretty banged up too. Cov Cath deserves to be high on the 3A list, because they consistently prove their playoff staying power. The exact same is true for Hoptown. They're 0-2, and yet everybody on this website (especially PT fans) knows that come playoff time they will be able to hang with any team in the field. Recently, Boyle Co. and Lex Cath moved up to 3A, just as Mason Co. has now done. Boyle Co. proved to everyone that they are a 3A power, and frankly Lex Cath has yet to fully do this. We'll all see shortly how good Mason Co. really is in 3A.

HE,

You make a lot of great arguments on here but IMHO this is not one of them.

I don't want to beat a dead dog but CovCath did play X closer than Trinity did and LC beat what has been a terrible Pikeville program as of late (by Pikeville standards, I can feel the hate email now) and a Sheldon Clark team that is an unknown. Also, LC has always been a "woulda, coulda, shoulda team" and until they get it done when it counts they are not going to get the benefit of the doubt because they have shown they don't deserve it.

Also, for what it is worth, I included LC in my Top 10 this week but I will probably get out voted.

Just so you know, in the past I have been accused of not giving NKY teams their due to avoid any perception there was a bias.

And I will tell you this, if I think anyone involved in the rankings has an agenda they will be on the outside looking in.