3a fan rankings for fun.

mhighfield

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Watusi

I broke our polls down by voters in NKY and voters in Non NKY. I'm not getting into how many voters we had or which voters voted what way but here are the aggregate results.

In the 3A and 1A polls, at least 60% of the voters are from outside the NKY area (Lou, Lex, West, South and East). In the 2A poll, 100% (all) of the voters are from outside the NKY area.

But here is the interesting part. The average ranking of the teams you guys claim are only there because of the NKY bias is lower for the non NKY voters than it is for the NKY voters. Cov Cath is the only team that even showed a significant difference when broken down by voter region.

Cov Cath : NKY voters ranked them on average 8.0, non NKY voters ranked them on average 6.2.

Lloyd : No NKY voters. Non NKY voters ranked them 5.2.

Cov Holy Cross: NKY voters ranked them 6.0, non NKY voters ranked them 6.0.

Bellevue : NKY voters ranked them 9.5, non NKY voters ranked them 9.6.

So tell me where is the bias?

Wow...Bellevue 4-6 last year and open with wins vs. mighty Dayton and Nicholas Co. and the non-NKy voters put them in the top-10??? No non-NKy voters where I live would do that. And no NKy OR non-NKy voters at the AP did it either.

Originally posted by Oxnard

Excellent point, Watusi! :thumb:

I think if they are going to accuse us of having a bias, or giving the NKY schools a "home field advantage :rolleyes:" then they should have all the facts.

I might add that the voters in our poll are some of the most knowlegable football people in this state. There are voters from all over the state and it is not all made up of moderators. These guys amaze me with the in depth knowlege they have of High School Football in this state, and it goes a lot deeper than what everyone's record is or what name is on their jersey (AP poll). I consider it a privalege just to hang out and sponge the information from these guys. And they all do an amazing job with no personal agenda or bias. My hats off to them.

:thumb: :ylsuper:

OB,

Seriously, the results that you listed do not really help your case. Dixie shut out CovCath 28-0, DeSales beat them 34-6 in a game that was not nearly that close, and despite what everybody thought about its strength, Lexington Catholic fell to a Highlands team that in turn was hammered by Rockcastle. If anything, last season's results suggested that Rockcastle might have emerged from a tougher region than anybody understood going into last season. I remember noting in the middle of last season that Covington Catholic had proven that they could take a beating, but did they actually upset anybody last season?

As for Lloyd, I don't think many Jugs fans expected the season to end on the short end of a blowout loss (49-21) against a team that would fall to Russell twice.

I also remember some of my NKY friends downplaying Russell's tough losses to Ashland and Portsmouth West, as well as its first win over Mason County, before belatedly moving them near the top of the 2A rankings.

Another thing that I remember is that a young Sheldon Clark team battled Bell County down to the wire on the road before losing 29-21 and finishing 7-3.

I remember that Sheldon Clark's other losses were a double-overtime setback to a then-healthy Lawrence County team, and a loss at Boyd County in a game that the Card's starting QB played with a fracture most of the game. With the core of that SC team returning for its senior season, I could not help noticing how little value BGP voters placed on the Lawrence County Bulldogs 31-0 win over them last week.

Sheldon Clark and Lawrence County may turn out to be huge disappointments this season. However, headed into this season there was ample reason to believe that both would contend for state titles this year. The bar just seems to be set a little higher for EKY teams to enter the top echelon of the rankings than it is for NKY teams such as Highlands, CC, and Lloyd.

Originally posted by Mtnfootballfan

Wow...Bellevue 4-6 last year and open with wins vs. mighty Dayton and Nicholas Co. and the non-NKy voters put them in the top-10??? No non-NKy voters where I live would do that. And no NKy OR non-NKy voters at the AP did it either.

If you want to hang your hat on the AP poll, then by all means, do it. But as for me and my house, we will honor the BGP rankings as our measuring stick.

HE, this year 3A is loaded with good teams who are going to make it very tough to break into the top ten. Lawrence is right at 11 waiting for a berth on the list. If they keep winning, someone will drop off and they will move up, IMO.

Sheldon Clark was ranked as high as 3rd in 2A in the BGP poll before their loss to Lawrence. They looked terrible against Lawrence and they barely beat Bourbon, a team who Prestonsburg thumped in a scrimmage just a couple of weeks earlier.

If you want to hang your hat on the AP poll, then by all means, do it. But as for me and my house, we will honor the BGP rankings as our measuring stick.

I don't "hang my hat" on any poll, "honor" any poll, or use them as a "measuring stick".

Polls are useless, except to give the fans something to talk about.

They're "popularity contests".

All the games must be won and lost on the field. I'll leave the ratings debate for now. Let's just say the site is NKy owned and operated, and has a NKy "flavor".:thumb:

I think if they are going to accuse us of having a bias, or giving the NKY schools a "home field advantage :rolleyes:" then they should have all the facts.

I might add that the voters in our poll are some of the most knowlegable football people in this state. There are voters from all over the state and it is not all made up of moderators. These guys amaze me with the in depth knowlege they have of High School Football in this state, and it goes a lot deeper than what everyone's record is or what name is on their jersey (AP poll). I consider it a privalege just to hang out and sponge the information from these guys. And they all do an amazing job with no personal agenda or bias. My hats off to them.

:thumb: :ylsuper:

When it comes to football knowledge, I will be the first to admit that I am not in the same league as the BGP team that puts together the rankings. I will also never argue that EKY football teams are as a rule, better than NKY teams. The quality of football on a year-in-year-out basis is not even close.

However, northern Kentucky football did not seem to tower over the eastern part of the state last season in either 2A or 3A. On the contrary, Rockcastle's domination of Catholic, Mason's blowout of Lloyd, and the strong showings by Russell, Belfry, and Breathitt indicated to me that last season was not a vintage year for NKY football.

I thought the results of last season suggested that the gap has closed substantially between NKY and EKY football in 3A, and that the chasm between EKY and NKY in 2A remains deep and wide. The preseason BGP rankings made me wonder if some folks don't still have calendars hanging on their walls from the 90's.:D

Originally posted by HoosierEagle

When it comes to football knowledge, I will be the first to admit that I am not in the same league as the BGP team that puts together the rankings. I will also never argue that EKY football teams are as a rule, better than NKY teams. The quality of football on a year-in-year-out basis is not even close.

However, northern Kentucky football did not seem to tower over the eastern part of the state last season in either 2A or 3A. On the contrary, Rockcastle's domination of Catholic, Mason's blowout of Lloyd, and the strong showings by Russell, Belfry, and Breathitt indicated to me that last season was not a vintage year for NKY football.

I thought the results of last season suggested that the gap has closed substantially between NKY and EKY football in 3A, and that the chasm between EKY and NKY in 2A remains deep and wide. The preseason BGP rankings made me wonder if some folks don't still have calendars hanging on their walls from the 90's.:D

:ylsuper:

Putting Bellevue and CHC so high in the polls shows the bias more than overrating CovCath and Lloyd (who are overrated.)

As a voter, I can attest that right now it's difficult to find 10 worthy teams in Class A, which seems weaker than usual. And as someone who cast a 9th-place vote for Fort Knox and a 10th-place vote for Bellevue, my question is ... who should I vote above them?

Pikeville? The Panthers are 0-2, were shut out by Lawrence County and lost to a Prestonsburg team that's been slow out of the gate.

Christian Academy? Started the year in the top 10, but has beaten a team that didn't exist last year and lost at home to Western Hills, which has fared poorly in recent years and was thumped by Harrodsburg on opening night.

Hazard? Maybe, but the North Laurel team they beat by 11 was skewered by Corbin ... the Bulldogs' two wins are against weak competition.

Raceland? The Rams were 9-2 last year and touted by some, then lost to NewCath by 40 in the playoffs. Last week they lost to East Carter.

Fairview? Doesn't play anyone ... same goes for them as for Raceland. They play in a weak district, one that hasn't sent a team to the semifinals in over 25 years.

Paintsville? Lost to Raceland ...

Crittenden County? Had to come from behind to beat a mediocre Caldwell County team, benefitting from a last-minute fumble.

Murray? Possibly .... the Tigers merit some consideration, but they seem to go out of their way to play a weak schedule ... they did beat Madisonville last week, but the Maroons are hardly a power.

Metcalfe County? Another team warranting a look ... after losing their starting TB, they have some questions that weren't answered by a win over a mediocre-at-best Taylor County team.

Harrodsburg? Maybe ... has a great TB ... can prove itself a little more against Mercer County this week.

Carroll County? Was a top-10 team in the preseason, but fattened up with wins over Ludlow (state's longest losing streak) and Kentucky Country Day, which doesn't even compete in district play ... lost to Bellevue in a preseason scrimmage.

Bellevue is 2-0 and not against the toughest schedule ... but they did fare well in a scrimmage against a borderline top-10 squad and thump a Nicholas County team that tied for its district title last season.

Hey, I'm not committed to Bellevue ... they don't have to lose to fall out of the top 10 ... if a team shows itself worthy of a ranking, I'll gladly slide them in.

As far as some sort of northern bias ... hey, I live five hours from Cincinnati ... but I do have a healthy respect for the brand of football played up there. The area has a proven track record, even though some here don't want to acknowledge it.

HE, this year 3A is loaded with good teams who are going to make it very tough to break into the top ten. Lawrence is right at 11 waiting for a berth on the list. If they keep winning, someone will drop off and they will move up, IMO.

Sheldon Clark was ranked as high as 3rd in 2A in the BGP poll before their loss to Lawrence. They looked terrible against Lawrence and they barely beat Bourbon, a team who Prestonsburg thumped in a scrimmage just a couple of weeks earlier.

I don't put much store in scrimmages. I witnessed Johnson Central outplay Belfry twice (badly in one case), then watched Belfry have good seasons, while JC's program spun out of control. Belfry would have crushed them by mid-season in both cases.

I also watched JC play even with Holmes' first team a couple of years ago. Had they played a regular midseason game, it would have been a laugher.

I agree that Sheldon Clark has stumbled out of the gate. I have heard from people who have seen them play that they may lack the team speed to carry them to a regional title. Time will tell, but I think last year's strong performance in 3A and the number of returning seniors should have earned them a lofty preseason ranking. If 2A is actually as weak as many people believe this season, I can't imagine that SC will not be a top 3 or top 5 team at the end of the season.

Lawrence County is loaded, and the win over the Cards is a good indication of the Bulldogs' strength. Sheldon Clark might have taken the Bourbon County for granted, but there is no way Matney's team was looking past the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs should also roll over a good Belfry team, but there are few easy wins for visitors to Pond Creek:D

westsider, you made good points about all the teams you listed there. So I would like to know the borderline top-10 team Bellevue fared well against and some details of the scrimmage which led you to pick them over the teams you listed.

BTW, Fairview beat Green OH and Ludlow and Bellevue beat Nicholas Co. and Dayton...you can't give Bellevue the edge on that, OR because they might have made it to the semifinals in the last 25 years...

Originally posted by westsider

As a voter, I can attest that right now it's difficult to find 10 worthy teams in Class A, which seems weaker than usual. And as someone who cast a 9th-place vote for Fort Knox and a 10th-place vote for Bellevue, my question is ... who should I vote above them?

Pikeville? The Panthers are 0-2, were shut out by Lawrence County and lost to a Prestonsburg team that's been slow out of the gate.

Christian Academy? Started the year in the top 10, but has beaten a team that didn't exist last year and lost at home to Western Hills, which has fared poorly in recent years and was thumped by Harrodsburg on opening night.

Hazard? Maybe, but the North Laurel team they beat by 11 was skewered by Corbin ... the Bulldogs' two wins are against weak competition.

Raceland? The Rams were 9-2 last year and touted by some, then lost to NewCath by 40 in the playoffs. Last week they lost to East Carter.

Fairview? Doesn't play anyone ... same goes for them as for Raceland. They play in a weak district, one that hasn't sent a team to the semifinals in over 25 years.

Paintsville? Lost to Raceland ...

Crittenden County? Had to come from behind to beat a mediocre Caldwell County team, benefitting from a last-minute fumble.

Murray? Possibly .... the Tigers merit some consideration, but they seem to go out of their way to play a weak schedule .., they did beat Madisonville last week, but the Maroons are hardly a power.

Metcalfe County? Another team warranting a look ... after losing their starting TB, they have some questions that weren't answered by a win over a mediocre-at-best Taylor County team.

Harrodsburg? Maybe ... has a great TB ... can prove itself a little more against Mercer County this week.

Carroll County? Was a top-10 team in the preseason, but fattened up with wins over Ludlow (state's longest losing streak) and Kentucky Country Day, which doesn't even compete in district play ... lost to Bellevue in a preseason scrimmage.

Bellevue is 2-0 and not against the toughest schedule ... but they did fare well in a scrimmage against a borderline top-10 squad and thump a Nicholas County team that tied for its district title last season.

Hey, I'm not committed to Bellevue ... they don't have to lose to fall out of the top 10 ... if a team shows itself worthy of a ranking, I'll gladly slide them in.

As far as some sort of northern bias ... hey, I live five hours from Cincinnati ... but I do have a healthy respect for the brand of football played up there. The area has a proven track record, even though some here don't want to acknowledge it.

I feel your pain.:lol: It is hard to argue with the 1A rankings, because the NKY 1A teams, along with Danville and Mayfield usually play at another level than the rest of the state. Beyond those teams, there is a lot of parity around the state, and most 1A teams do not travel very far to play. That makes it difficult to know what to do with a (non-Mayfield) WKY 1A team and an EKY team having similar records. I sympathize with anybody trying to rank the 6-10 1A teams.

Originally posted by westsider

Read the Carroll County comment ...

4-6 last year and weak, 2 wins over very weak teams, and got the better of Carroll Co. in a scrimmage...yep, I'll have to go with the AP poll on this one and put Bellevue about 17th like they did in week one...

(Haven't seen week 2 yet, doubt Bellevue will be top-10, could be wrong though.)