3a fan rankings for fun.

mhighfield

3W: I really don't want to argue Hopkinsivlle vs. Rockcastle County. You are free to think whatever you want, however, if the BGP King of the Carpet would have come down to a Hoptown/Rockcastle matchup the last two years I would have taken Hoptown both times.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Oldbird

3W: I really don't want to argue Hopkinsivlle vs. Rockcastle County. You are free to think whatever you want

Me neither really, it's a like beating a dead horse. My only opinion is I don't know who would win. HopTown definatley had the athletes thats for sure. I don't like to think either team was better than the other just so maybe one day a battle between the two would play out.:thumb:

Originally posted by Mtnfootballfan

Westsider, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Look who Pikeville has played in the Pike County Bowl every year.

Look who they schedule for non-district games. Lawrence Co., Belfry, and Prestonsburg this year. They play teams like that every year.

I could go on and on with the long list of very good teams they have faced. Since you obviously don't know, I'm trying to be nice and explain it to you. And since you don't want to talk about their three state championships, since 1989 they have been runners-up, were in the top ten in wins in the 90s, and have a slew of regional championships. But since you can't see any farther back than 1990, you can't know what real tradition is...

I know plenty about Pikeville ... I also know that what they did before 1990 has little bearing on the original subject, which was why the Panthers aren't ranked now.

I also know who they play. Belfry and Prestonsburg are decent teams, but there are other Class A teams all over the state who are playing better competition.

As for regional championships ... well, it's not the strongest region year-in and year-out.

Yes, I forgot about the runner-up finish in 90 ... the blind draw was the only thing keeping Beechwood from thumping Pikeville in the semifinals.

Hey, I know Pikeville has tradition. I know they have an illustrious history. But ... right now they're not among the state's elite and shouldn't be ranked as such.

Look who they schedule for non-district games. Lawrence Co., Belfry, and Prestonsburg this year. They play teams like that every year.

I could go on and on with the long list of very good teams they have faced. Since you obviously don't know, I'm trying to be nice and explain it to you. And since you don't want to talk about their three state championships, since 1989 they have been runners-up, were in the top ten in wins in the 90s, and have a slew of regional championships. But since you can't see any farther back than 1990, you can't know what real tradition is...

...and the award for Best Display of Condescension in a Football Thread goes to........:banana:

Mtnfootball: You need to make up your mind. Are you talking about football tradition or how good Pikeville has been recently?

As far as tradition goes, Pikeville has done real good winning state championships and dominating back in the 1980's, but Pikeville ain't had near the teams since then. Yeah, they still get a lot of wins every year because they don't play much of a schedule. But when they get to the playoffs they get beat and usually get beat bad. The only game I can think of when Pikeville didn't get beat by more than 2 touchdowns was that game against Beechwood about 4 years ago. Plus there were a couple of years where Beechwood killed them and one where M'boro killed them too.

Pikeville has a good tradition, but its been awhile since their teams were as good as their traditon.

Originally posted by westsider

I know plenty about Pikeville ... I also know that what they did before 1990 has little bearing on the original subject, which was why the Panthers aren't ranked now.

I also know who they play. Belfry and Prestonsburg are decent teams, but there are other Class A teams all over the state who are playing better competition.

As for regional championships ... well, it's not the strongest region year-in and year-out.

Yes, I forgot about the runner-up finish in 90 ... the blind draw was the only thing keeping Beechwood from thumping Pikeville in the semifinals.

Hey, I know Pikeville has tradition. I know they have an illustrious history. But ... right now they're not among the state's elite and shouldn't be ranked as such.

Ahh...but they are...just not on BGP.:thumb:

Pikeville was 10-3

Beat 1-9 Campbellsville and 0-10 Clay County.

Lost to 9-3 Ashland Blazer (49-14) and Lost to 10-3 Belfry (20-13)

Beat Harlan (4-7) and Hazard (7-5) in the playoffs before losing to Middlesboro (10-4)

Pikeville was 6-5

Beat 1-9 Western Hills

Lost to 4-6 Lafayette and 8-5 Belfry

Lost to Middlesboro (8-4) in the playoffs

Pikeville was 12-2

Beat 5-6 Lawrence County, 7-5 Belfry, and 8-6 Prestonsburg

Lost to 10-2 Somerset

Lost to NCC in the Final Four

Pikeville was 12-2

Beat 0-8 Jenkins, 8-4 Belfry, and 3-8 Prestonsburg

Lost to State champion Boyle County

Lost to Beechwood in the Final Four

Pikeville was 10-3

Beat 0-10 Estill County, and 8-5 Belfry

Lost to 11-3 Breathitt County and 9-3 Prestonsburg

Lost to Middlesboro in the Region finals

Pikeville was 5-6

Since 1989, only one appearance in the state finals -- a 1991 loss to Beechwood

Originally posted by Oldbird

This makes less sense than any any ranking I have seen on BGP this year.

Im not wanting an argument either, just giving my opinion.

All you hear or see on here is Boyle is #1 until someone

beats them , so in my opinion until either are beaten or kept off the carpet they should be 1 and 2 as for the others I ranked them as I see them now yes Mason beat Rock last year but that was last year. Rock was also not at Full strengh the opening game against Mason last year.

CC

Originally posted by CoachCarrier

Im not wanting an argument either, just giving my opinion.

All you hear or see on here is Boyle is #1 until someone

beats them , so in my opinion until either are beaten or kept off the carpet they should be 1 and 2 as for the others I ranked them as I see them now yes Mason beat Rock last year but that was last year. Rock was also not at Full strengh the opening game either!

CC

I'm not wanting to give you argument. J/K I know I am. :D

All I am telling you is that this:

1. Where they finished last year

2. Where they finished last year

3. Where they are this year

4. Where they are this year

5. Where they are this year

6. Where they are this year

7. Where they are this year

8. Where they are this year

9. Where they are this year

10. Where they are this year

is not a very good method for ranking teams.

Originally posted by HoosierEagle

Mason County has played what has turned out to be a very weak schedule so far, with Breathitt suffering huge graduation losses. Unless you thought they were going to be weak, I don't see how they could have "proven" themselves already, regardless of their margins of victory.

Lawrence County did much more to prove its worth by thrashing a good Sheldon Clark team - a team that had taken it into overtime last season. Had it not been for an amazing number of injuries to key players last season, Lawrence would have won its district. Most of those players are back, most notably Short and Storts, and the injuries gave a lot of young kids quality PT.

Mason is talented and very well coached and will be a contender in the district and region. But IMO, Lawrence is the team to beat in the district. I think Mason is getting way too much mileage out of its upset of Rockcastle last season.

I know that I am part of a small minority who hold this opinion, but hey, I have been here before. I thought Russell was the team to beat in Mason's district last year.

Lawrence County has a very favorable schedule, and they have Mason County, the Man Hillbillies, Ashland, Boyd County, Prestonsburg, etc. all at home. Unless they get caught napping, the Bulldogs should not lose any of its road games. An undefeated regular season is not out of the question for LC.

Thats what I was looking at HoosierEagle!!

westsider, you are right on the money. I appreciate your comments and insights.

We might play top notch comp in the PCB but we ought to win some of them before we go using them as an indicator of how good we are.

We like to crow about our record each year and gripe about our rankings when the truth of the matter is we are not the same Pikeville we were in the 80's. We experienced something special during that run that we may never duplicate. We had great coaching and an enormous amount of talent from here and there and everywhere. We kicked some major butt. But that was then and this is now. I don't see anybody in the current top ten we can beat.

If we want to get our name on the list, we need to shut up, buckle down and earn our way back on there. Playing decent competition and getting consistently beaten won't do it in my opinion.

Originally posted by squibb

westsider, you are right on the money. I appreciate your comments and insights.

We might play top notch comp in the PCB but we ought to win some of them before we go using them as an indicator of how good we are.

We like to crow about our record each year and gripe about our rankings when the truth of the matter is we are not the same Pikeville we were in the 80's. We experienced something special during that run that we may never duplicate. We had great coaching and an enormous amount of talent from here and there and everywhere. We kicked some major butt. But that was then and this is now. I don't see anybody in the current top ten we can beat.

Squibb, you took the words out of my mouth. Pikeville was the feared kings of Class A football, but not any longer.

Scribe did a great breakdown that shows they are on the same level as Belfry and Prestonsburg, but have struggled against their other non-district opponents.

But then again, this is supposed to be a 3A discussion ;)