How do you like your steak cooked?

Randy Parker

How do you like your steak cooked?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your steak cooked?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never heard the term Pittsburgh "Medium Rare". The way I understand the term is that "Pittsburgh Rare" is pretty much seared on both sides long enough to char, but raw in the middle, and it's pretty much as rare as a steak can be served and still claim to be cooked. One of the old stories behind the term, is that at a particular restaurant in Pittsburgh, customers could order steaks off of a live cow, and the meat would get seared at a really high temp, just enough to kill the surface bacteria with the middle of the steak being served at the cow's body temperature. I used to work at a restaurant bar near OC, MD in the early 90's and had a customer who was from Pittsburgh who would order his steaks that way and told me that story. I would think that once you get past rare, it's not Pittsburgh style any more.

Interesting. I’ve always used the term Pittsburgh style as just a hard sear on the outside regardless of the internal temp. I make my steaks this way. Hard sear in a pan with butter 2 minutes on the first side, 1 minute on the other side then toss butter on top of the steak and throw in the oven heated to 450 for 3 1/2 minutes. Baste it with the butter in the pan after taking it out. Perfect medium rare every time for a ribeye cut about and inch and a half.

I usually order medium rare at a good steakhouse. If I'm getting a steak at most chains, like O'Charley's, Friday's etc., than I normally order rare as that is the best chance to actually get something along the lines of medium rare to medium.

I’ve found it’s usually best to never order steak from a traditional chain unless it’s a steakhouse chain like Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn. It never comes out right and it is very rarely seasoned at all or dramatically over seasoned. Best to avoid.

Medium rare if I'm cooking it myself or at a restaurant that I know can get it right. If I'm eating somewhere that is inconsistent I'll tell them rare, knowing good and well that its going to come out medium rare.

I've never heard the term Pittsburgh "Medium Rare". The way I understand the term is that "Pittsburgh Rare" is pretty much seared on both sides long enough to char, but raw in the middle, and it's pretty much as rare as a steak can be served and still claim to be cooked. One of the old stories behind the term, is that at a particular restaurant in Pittsburgh, customers could order steaks off of a live cow, and the meat would get seared at a really high temp, just enough to kill the surface bacteria with the middle of the steak being served at the cow's body temperature. I used to work at a restaurant bar near OC, MD in the early 90's and had a customer who was from Pittsburgh who would order his steaks that way and told me that story. I would think that once you get past rare, it's not Pittsburgh style any more.

This is correct. I've ordered a few steaks Pittsburgh before. Last one I had the cut still had a pulse.

I’ve found it’s usually best to never order steak from a traditional chain unless it’s a steakhouse chain like Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn. It never comes out right and it is very rarely seasoned at all or dramatically over seasoned. Best to avoid.

With you here. Could not tell you the last time I ordered a steak at a typical run of the mill (chain) restaurant. Honestly, I am skeptical about Texas Road House or Longhorn. Morton's, The Palm, etc. are steakhouse chains I can get behind.

With you here. Could not tell you the last time I ordered a steak at a typical run of the mill (chain) restaurant. Honestly, I am skeptical about Texas Road House or Longhorn. Morton's, The Palm, etc. are steakhouse chains I can get behind.

I've never had a bad steak at Texas Road House. It's very seldom I have one at Longhorn - best we can do from chains here in Bowling Green currently.

I've never had a bad steak at Texas Road House. It's very seldom I have one at Longhorn - best we can do from chains here in Bowling Green currently.

Texas Roadhouse is undefeated when it comes to steaks that aren't from high-end steakhouses.

I like it pink and warm in the middle. I believe that is medium rare?? If it’s cool at all in the middle I’m grossed out. That’s what I consider rare. No idea if that’s right.

While I generally agree with this, their can be exceptions, and sometimes I just want a steak even though I know it's not going to be the best one I've ever had. Every now and then I don't mind having to use a little A1.

For me Cracker Barrel has a pretty tasty sirloin that I get with one of their breakfast meals. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I order it. A little touch of A1 and some Cholula for the eggs and I'm happy every time.

And speaking of Cholula, is there anything better at all that you can add to eggs.

Interesting. I’ve always used the term Pittsburgh style as just a hard sear on the outside regardless of the internal temp. I make my steaks this way. Hard sear in a pan with butter 2 minutes on the first side, 1 minute on the other side then toss butter on top of the steak and throw in the oven heated to 450 for 3 1/2 minutes. Baste it with the butter in the pan after taking it out. Perfect medium rare every time for a ribeye cut about and inch and a half.

I've also never heard of anything other than Pittsburg rare, which was described to me as heavily charred on the outside yet still more of a purplish color in the middle it's so raw.

For me Texas Roadhouse is the best steak for your money that you can get. I eat there often and have almost never had a steak not to my liking.

I like it pink and warm in the middle. I believe that is medium rare?? If it’s cool at all in the middle I’m grossed out. That’s what I consider rare. No idea if that’s right.

Most places describe medium rare as having a warm red center. Pink usually doesn't come into play til you get to medium / medium well.