Question About The Riots

BFritz

Especially when the majority doesn't do anything to remove the "few bad apples."

I get what you are saying and I understand why you are saying it. With that said and I'm not throwing big city under the bus or saying small city doesn't have it's problems. It paints a picture that it's EVERYWHERE, like you can't turn a corner without there being some racist cop just looking to abuse people and I disagree with that.

Three weeks ago, I thought corona virus was about to help communities turn the corner with law enforcement. Police were helping where they could, doing what they could and often times it was social distancing birthday parades, graduation parades, engagement parades, just fun stuff. Areas in cities you'd never thought would reach out to the police to celebrate a birthday, graduation, engagement etc were requesting parades and it was awesome. Fast forward and we are divided, struggling, to say the least. We see what we want to see(all of us), it's the same for every single person involved in this. In the middle of it all, a lot of folks hurting on both sides and it sucks. Honestly, if I didn't care and I didn't think it was worth it I wouldn't say a word. I think we can do better. I HOPE we do better, we need to.

Edited by sportsfan41

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is asking you to be perfect. People are asking cops to stop killing unarmed people.

You don't get to have "bad apples" in Law Enforcement.

Funny you say "not even close." The "few bad apples" group would have you believe it's only a very small number of bad police. To that I say, not even close.

Give me a percentage, how many cops are bad cops? I need something to go off of to understand where you are coming from. I'm not kidding I would like you're best estimate?

Then tell me how to fix it, I'm not being condescending because I don't know your answer. Give me something to work with(sorry, playing catch up, been a busy few days at the office).

What news outlets Main priority isn’t ratings? I’ll wait? Fueling rage on both sides of this is driving ratings. Period. And the country is taking it hook, line and sinker.

You are speaking of Editors and management.

Many reporters look for the truth and to publish it. You’re basing your accusation on the Leads the upper echelon pick. While good stories that cover many aspects of many things are on page 2 or minute 20.

Your dislike of media clouds your view of ALL of them. Not unlike many who view ALL officers as racist and power hungry.

Then tell me how to fix it, I'm not being condescending because I don't know your answer. Give me something to work with(sorry, playing catch up, been a busy few days at the office).

I certainly don't have the right answers and I have no clue how law enforcement hires their people but I'd find a way to do a better job of vetting during the hiring process, as well as doing some type of examination with the current workforce. It could go a long way. But it's not as simple as just saying that. Not sure the real way to do that.

At the end of the day, mistakes are still going to happen. I mean with the number of cops that there are x 365 days, something is bound to happen from time to time. No matter how well you vet, you'll also still have some occasionally be racist, have to big of a chip on their shoulders, and etc. I think all of this ends any type of rug that might have gotten pulled over to protect that officer.

I wish we'd never have to deal with this, but how any police officer thinks they can get away with anything inappropriate, knowing that everything is caught on camera these days, is just dumb at his point.

Holding them accountable immediately helps. But I think we still see a lot of the same stuff across the country if they announced his arrest and charge with first degree murder the same day. I'd be curious how that would've played out.

You are speaking of Editors and management.

Many reporters look for the truth and to publish it. You’re basing your accusation on the Leads the upper echelon pick. While good stories that cover many aspects of many things are on page 2 or minute 20.

Your dislike of media clouds your view of ALL of them. Not unlike many who view ALL officers as racist and power hungry.

This "fake news" campaign is one of the most troubling trends I've seen in my life. This focus and belief that the news if full of misinformation and agendas in my opinion is making people less informed. And even worse, it's making it harder for people to see the truth. What people are calling fake news, is often not much more than "news we don't like" or agree with. And it's given a rise and voice to conspiracy theorists, and fringe news sources that are way more biased and much more fake than the "mainstream media" ever have been. And that in my opinion, is leading to the current wave of polarization that we are currently experiencing. And as people drop or stop watching more and more sources of "mainstream news", and our consumption of news goes down, the less aware we become as a society. Sometimes news is going to suck. Sometimes we are going to hear things we don't want to hear, and the people and institutions we believe in are on the wrong side of a news story. That doesn't make the news fake, nor does it mean theres an agenda beyond just the need to inform the public. And that's led us to discredit things like science, or not pay attention to issues that are right in our faces.

This "fake news" campaign is one of the most troubling trends I've seen in my life. This focus and belief that the news if full of misinformation and agendas in my opinion is making people less informed. And even worse, it's making it harder for people to see the truth. What people are calling fake news, is often not much more than "news we don't like" or agree with. And it's given a rise and voice to conspiracy theorists, and fringe news sources that are way more biased and much more fake than the "mainstream media" ever have been. And that in my opinion, is leading to the current wave of polarization that we are currently experiencing. And as people drop or stop watching more and more sources of "mainstream news", and our consumption of news goes down, the less aware we become as a society. Sometimes news is going to suck. Sometimes we are going to hear things we don't want to hear, and the people and institutions we believe in are on the wrong side of a news story. That doesn't make the news fake, nor does it mean theres an agenda beyond just the need to inform the public. And that's led us to discredit things like science, or not pay attention to issues that are right in our faces.

:thumb: You and I are on the same page with this.

I certainly don't have the right answers and I have no clue how law enforcement hires their people but I'd find a way to do a better job of vetting during the hiring process, as well as doing some type of examination with the current workforce. It could go a long way. But it's not as simple as just saying that. Not sure the real way to do that.

At the end of the day, mistakes are still going to happen. I mean with the number of cops that there are x 365 days, something is bound to happen from time to time. No matter how well you vet, you'll also still have some occasionally be racist, have to big of a chip on their shoulders, and etc. I think all of this ends any type of rug that might have gotten pulled over to protect that officer.

I wish we'd never have to deal with this, but how any police officer thinks they can get away with anything inappropriate, knowing that everything is caught on camera these days, is just dumb at his point.

Holding them accountable immediately helps. But I think we still see a lot of the same stuff across the country if they announced his arrest and charge with first degree murder the same day. I'd be curious how that would've played out.

Many police departments put candidates through an application, written and physical test, psychological test, extensive background investigation, polygraph test etc. What else would you add?

I'll add some smaller departments probably don't do all of this, because they can't afford to.

I disagree a little here. I have seen several things on the mainstream news that are flat out lies, and I'm capable enough to do my own research when I'm skeptical about something.

Many police departments put candidates through an application, written and physical test, psychological test, extensive background investigation, polygraph test etc. What else would you add?

I'll add some smaller departments probably don't do all of this, because they can't afford to.

Yup I’ve found this all to be very standard. It’s certainly not an easy job to get.

To add to this, I do not think people realize how small of a candidate pool there is for police officers. And that number is continuing to dwindle.... that is not good for anyone. The last thing anyone wants - aside from criminals - is a society of lawlessness.

To add to this, I do not think people realize how small of a candidate pool there is for police officers. And that number is continuing to dwindle.... that is not good for anyone. The last thing anyone wants - aside from criminals - is a society of lawlessness.

There are good people who would make good police officers who are interested in the jobs, but won't do it for several reasons.

I disagree a little here. I have seen several things on the mainstream news that are flat out lies, and I'm capable enough to do my own research when I'm skeptical about something.

I’m not sure that I’ve seen flat out lies from the mainstream. I’ve seen things that are maybe presented with bias. The flat out lies I see come mainly from the extremes and armchair reporters you see on Facebook and other social media platforms. The things that I see people characterize as “lies” are more commonly things that don’t fit what they believe in. Maybe I’m naive. But a world without the media to keep us informed, is a very scary place.

I got no clue. I'm not familiar at all with what someone must go through. But from a PR standpoint, it would make sense for larger metro police departments, to definitely be announcing a few new tactics in their vetting process.