Question About The Riots

BFritz

So am I, but I’m not interesting in “watching what happens.”

If you and others were as passionate about fixing the issues that prompt protests, we could make some real progress. Until then....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This "fake news" campaign is one of the most troubling trends I've seen in my life. This focus and belief that the news if full of misinformation and agendas in my opinion is making people less informed. And even worse, it's making it harder for people to see the truth. What people are calling fake news, is often not much more than "news we don't like" or agree with. And it's given a rise and voice to conspiracy theorists, and fringe news sources that are way more biased and much more fake than the "mainstream media" ever have been. And that in my opinion, is leading to the current wave of polarization that we are currently experiencing. And as people drop or stop watching more and more sources of "mainstream news", and our consumption of news goes down, the less aware we become as a society. Sometimes news is going to suck. Sometimes we are going to hear things we don't want to hear, and the people and institutions we believe in are on the wrong side of a news story. That doesn't make the news fake, nor does it mean theres an agenda beyond just the need to inform the public. And that's led us to discredit things like science, or not pay attention to issues that are right in our faces.

Fake news is taking it too far, but I have no trust whatsoever for national, mainstream media. Particularly the 24-hour variety. I wholeheartedly believe the FoxNewses, MSNBC's, & CNN's of this world are pushing particular agendas, or at least presenting slanted views of various stories.

But the more local you get with the news, that distrust of mine starts to go away.

Background investigations can be pretty in-depth. Most reputable investigations have been looking at social media for a few years.

I have some experience doing background investigations and I can assure everyone where I worked it was a very in depth process. Oh and a fun fact here, I don't believe I passed a single person ever on their background so eventually they didn't have me do anymore. :idunno:

I have some experience doing background investigations and I can assure everyone where I worked it was a very in depth process. Oh and a fun fact here, I don't believe I passed a single person ever on their background so eventually they didn't have me do anymore. :idunno:

Nothing wrong with being picky.

Fake news is taking it too far, but I have no trust whatsoever for national, mainstream media. Particularly the 24-hour variety. I wholeheartedly believe the FoxNewses, MSNBC's, & CNN's of this world are pushing particular agendas, or at least presenting slanted views of various stories.

But the more local you get with the news, that distrust of mine starts to go away.

Obviously, things are presented with a slant in one direction or other. News has always been that way....it's never in the history of this nation been completely neutral. But that doesn't make all of it fake. And while I hear so many complain about "agendas", I never hear anyone explain what that agenda is, or how specifically it ultimately benefits those organizations. Especially nowadays, when more and more people aren't consuming as much traditional news content, specifically because of "agendas". If your "agenda" is driving people away in droves, and affecting your bottom line (ad dollars), why keep pushing it so hard? It makes zero business sense. And I go back to my original comment, just because it doesn't fit your (and I mean the general "your") beliefs, doesn't mean it isn't true or shouldn't be reported. You may not like it. It may not fit your "agenda". Doesn't mean though it shouldn't be heard, or isn't real.

Perhaps I'm naive, or maybe because I work in the Media industry (albeit on the sales/marketing side of publishing). But I've never sat in on a meeting where our "agenda" was discussed , outside of providing solid, relevant, topical content that our readers would enjoy.

If you and others were as passionate about fixing the issues that prompt protests, we could make some real progress. Until then....

Lead the way, I called out the coward cops who killed George Floyd. I can tell you “watching what happens” isn’t the answer. I saw what happened to David Dorn.