Question About The Riots

BFritz

I read this a couple days ago and thought it was worth sharing. Twelve research-based solutions (with links, charts, data, etc.) to stop police violence. Seems like cities that have followed this have improved dramatically. And it’s clear there need to be changes rather than “this is how we’ve always done it.”

"For those who are interested in research-based solutions to stop police violence, here’s what you need to know - based on the facts and data […]"

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People need to wake up. The biggest problem in this country is the media. The last thing they want to see is all races/cops, unite to accept each other. We’re all being played. Could you imagine if the media turned their hatred toward the medical field and started to publicize the estimated 225-250 thousand people killed by malpractice every year? It’s all about ratings, and hatred fuels ratings.

Truth.

Rioting gets on tv. The peaceful protests are overlooked by the media. I saw a clip where a white antifa punk came and started handing out bricks to some young black protesters. A black woman there grabbed up all the bricks from them and took them back to the antifa punk scolding him. It was such a real look of how messed up this is.

Are you certain it was antifa?

A retired police officer from St. Louis was murdered, apparently trying to stop some looting. There is video going around twitter showing him lying on the ground. It is hard to watch.

It’s pretty apparent that the only lives that seem to “matter” to the media, are those of a minority killed by police. Not whites killed by police, not cops killed by any race. Not citizens trying to help. Not minorities killed by minorities, none of it.

People who just hurt people to do it are the problem with the world. And there’s a lot more non-cops who take joy in it, than there are cops who do. And it ain’t even close. Period.

Edited by 00Rocket28

People need to wake up. The biggest problem in this country is the media. The last thing they want to see is all races/cops, unite to accept each other. We’re all being played. Could you imagine if the media turned their hatred toward the medical field and started to publicize the estimated 225-250 thousand people killed by malpractice every year? It’s all about ratings, and hatred fuels ratings.

So everyone in the media feels that way?

Isn’t that like saying all the police do is kill minorities?

Neither statement is true and is a stereotype.

A retired police officer from St. Louis was murdered, apparently trying to stop some looting. There is video going around twitter showing him lying on the ground. It is hard to watch.

I watched it, I couldn't take it.

Absolutely brutal, his life mattered too! The anger and sorrow I had watching that. Where is the anger and outrage for that man!?

I watched it, I couldn't take it.

I'll take your word for it. After watching Arbery's murder, I couldn't watch George Floyd's. And I don't want to watch that one either. Maybe I should so that I will have a better understanding, but I'm just not there.

All these real life examples of hatred and selfishness trumping human life...it's just tragic.

So everyone in the media feels that way?

Isn’t that like saying all the police do is kill minorities?

Neither statement is true and is a stereotype.

What news outlets Main priority isn’t ratings? I’ll wait? Fueling rage on both sides of this is driving ratings. Period. And the country is taking it hook, line and sinker.

I'll take your word for it. After watching Arbery's murder, I couldn't watch George Floyd's. And I don't want to watch that one either. Maybe I should so that I will have a better understanding, but I'm just not there.

All these real life examples of hatred and selfishness trumping human life...it's just tragic.

Exactly. Everyone needs to take a step back and try and appreciate each other’s life and safety. The actions of a few are causing more people to justify their hate. It’s disgusting.

Don’t watch it, it’s terrible, you can hear the pain in the cameraman’s voice for 2 minutes saying “lost his life over tv’s.” This mans life mattered too and who knows if they will even be able to ID anyone.

Cincy police will start you at $17 an hour to deal with this.

They pay a little better than that but still not enough. I think that's what they pay to get people trained, after that it jumps up a good amount. With that said, no one becomes a cop because it pays well.

To answer your questions, yes. The numbers are incredibly low. And yes, social media would have you believe it is open season for law enforcement against African Americans. I get that. It is nowhere near how it is perceived.

Where the rub is though, why do we accept this as collateral damage? It is kind of like the COVID-19 thing in that we are conditioned to believe there is a segment of the population which will die because of COVID-19, so we should not inconvenience everyone else to spare X amount of lives. And being 100 here, where I get nervous is that we are aiming for utopia... which we should be. But one bad apple can set back the conversation for years. Trying to say "it is just one bad apple" is not constructive dialogue, even if it is the truth.

Funny you mentioned utopia. I actually had a conversation that discussed that recently. With intoxicating drugs and mental illness, there will never be utopia(they're often paired). We can try for better, but there will always be despair for someone. I do think we should always try for better.