Duke 104 Kentucky 103 (‘92 Regional Finals)

bugatti

Things that stood out to me:

- UK’s press against a superior foe was the neutralizing factor. The press wasn’t anything spectacular, but unless the ball made it to Hurley, it was 50-50 if Duke could advance the ball. I suppose pressing full time was so taboo, teams didn’t know how to adjust.

- Everything was so packed in it’s hard to see how anyone could score a point.

- Laettner was the best player, but it was obvious Mashburn was that dude.

- I‘m still amazed Laettner never missed a single shot from the field or FT line. That in mind, he should have taken 7-10 more shots. What a clutch performance. In today’s game he would have.

- What is Gimel Martinez up to these days?

- Duke had no depth. They basically went six deep with Cherokee Parks being the lead cheerleader.

I've said this before, but I was at this game. A few friends and I took the 40 minute drive from West Chester, PA to Philly, and bought scalped tickets for $25. Never thought for a minute I'd end up living in Kentucky at that time, or the impact this game had on this area.

I could not bring myself to watch it. I did watch the 2015 regional final win over Notre Dame. That 2014/15 team should have won a title. I am a Cal fan but I think he cost UK a title in that Final Four.

I assume due to playing the Harrisons too much? If so, I tend to agree. But I always come back to the shot clock. Kentucky getting two consecutive shot clock violations when they could’ve put the game away and then of course, the devastating miss by the officials on the uncalled shot clock violation on Wisconsin.

It took a while for me to properly appreciate the ‘92 game. It was (and remains) heartbreaking, but it is widely considered the greatest NCAA tournament game ever. It takes two teams to make that happen, and it something to be proud of that Kentucky is one of those two teams. Laettner has to be perfect for them to win, and he was. You can dislike him, but you have to tip your cap to him.

I’ve grown to appreciate Laettner over the years. The way he (jokingly) leaned into the role of villain in that Big Blue All-Star vs Villain game was pretty cool.

I assume due to playing the Harrisons too much? If so, I tend to agree. But I always come back to the shot clock. Kentucky getting two consecutive shot clock violations when they could’ve put the game away and then of course, the devastating miss by the officials on the uncalled shot clock violation on Wisconsin.

He should have used Ulis and Booker in that block of time between the 8 and 4 minute timeouts. That had been his sub pattern. UK only scored 4 points the last 6:37 of that game and only 6 points in the last 8 minutes. I think they score more using Ulis and Booker for a few minutes in that last 8 minutes.

Do you think UK was possibly fouled on either morning both of those shot clock violations? I haven’t watched the game since on TV the night of the loss so it’s a fuzzy memory of the exact plays but I seem to recall feeling there were fouls but the refs wouldn’t call them and it bothered me because they had bailed out Wisconsin quite a few times with those kind of foul calls.

And I agree with the shot clock violation non-call. If memory serves me correctly UK was up 4 points at that time with about 2 minutes left. They would have had possession with a 4 point lead. Changes everything.

Also, I believe Wisconsin also scored one basket after a player touched the ball and then went out of bounds on the baseline, came back in and grabbed the ball and scored it. That’s a violation. Correct me if I’m wrong because as I said I have only seen the game that one time but that baseline basket sticks in my memory.