Duke 104 Kentucky 103 (‘92 Regional Finals)

bugatti

Anyone catch that Pitino didn't guard Grant Hill on the inbound? :ohbrother:

Interesting I watched from the rafters of Rupp Saturday and Kyle Macy talked with Deron Feldhaus who said that he and John Pelphrey were supposed to be one in front of Laettner and the other behind him. It was obvious that did not happen.

Interesting I watched from the rafters of Rupp Saturday and Kyle Macy talked with Deron Feldhaus who said that he and John Pelphrey were supposed to be one in front of Laettner and the other behind him. It was obvious that did not happen.

I always assumed that was the case. How do you screw that up? I know they were paranoid about a foul call, but come on.

• Like 1

Do you think UK was possibly fouled on either morning both of those shot clock violations? I haven’t watched the game since on TV the night of the loss so it’s a fuzzy memory of the exact plays but I seem to recall feeling there were fouls but the refs wouldn’t call them and it bothered me because they had bailed out Wisconsin quite a few times with those kind of foul calls.

And I agree with the shot clock violation non-call. If memory serves me correctly UK was up 4 points at that time with about 2 minutes left. They would have had possession with a 4 point lead. Changes everything.

Also, I believe Wisconsin also scored one basket after a player touched the ball and then went out of bounds on the baseline, came back in and grabbed the ball and scored it. That’s a violation. Correct me if I’m wrong because as I said I have only seen the game that one time but that baseline basket sticks in my memory.

It was in the first half when the Badger went out of bounds and illegally got the ball and scored.

The shot clock not called tied the game.

If there was anything to the shot clock violations committed by UK it was they ran the clock rather than the offense to find a shot for KAT.

I thought Trey Lyles and WCS on the floor hurt the offense because neither was a big scoring threat. One paired with another scorer on the bench would have provided better offense IMO.

It wasn't a good night for Len Elmore. He was consistently wrong in analyzing game trends and even questioned if Laettner's stomp was deliberate.

My favorite moment was when Vern shut him down when he brought up that he didn’t know if Laettner intended to stomp him.

“Oh, yes he did!” Vern retorted.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, Voice of Reason said:

I could not bring myself to watch it. I did watch the 2015 regional final win over Notre Dame. That 2014/15 team should have won a title. I am a Cal fan but I think he cost UK a title in that Final Four.

I’m also a Cal fan and I agree with you. I think he has cost them 2 maybe even 3 titles with his defensive philosophy of switching all ball screens. 

On 10/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, 16thBBall Fan said:

I’m also a Cal fan and I agree with you. I think he has cost them 2 maybe even 3 titles with his defensive philosophy of switching all ball screens. 

I think he had UConn beat in 2014 when he switched to a zone and cut their 10 point lead to 1 point. But he then inexplicably switched back to man defense and UConn’s pair of lightening quick guards cut the Cats to pieces and won the game. I have always felt if he had stayed in zone UConn was in trouble. You could almost feel their panic. They weren’t making outside shots and it cut their guards ability to drive to the basket or create. I’m sure UConn’s coach, who was fired a few years later, breathed a sigh of relief when Calipari decided to return to his man defense. 

On 10/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, 16thBBall Fan said:

Not saying you are right or wrong, but generally these things even out. If he cost UK 3 titles by switching ball screens, that would put him at 4 in a span of 10 years. Only John Wooden has ever done that. The NCAA tournament is a series of "press your luck" games and the best team wins half the time, I'd say. Point is, it is a lot more complex than that. If something that simple cost UK three titles, there are five times the amount games they won because of something else Calipari did. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, bugatti said:

Not saying you are right or wrong, but generally these things even out. If he cost UK 3 titles by switching ball screens, that would put him at 4 in a span of 10 years. Only John Wooden has ever done that. The NCAA tournament is a series of "press your luck" games and the best team wins half the time, I'd say. Point is, it is a lot more complex than that. If something that simple cost UK three titles, there are five times the amount games they won because of something else Calipari did. 

Yup...

I love March Madness more than any other sporting event but it’s a really silly way to determine a champion.