Vaught Strikes Again

CentreRocks

No one is looking down on anyone. But I don't think that the solution to improving schools is to guarantee each school a supply of kids whether they do a good job or not.

Are you suggesting a constitutional amendment to each state to change what I think you are asking?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is great to hear there are no out of state student/athletes at any of the schools being discussed!

I don't think out of state students attending KY public schools. Private schools that is there call and the government shouldn't tell them whether to accept or not. As far as where they should compete for accepting out of state students, no different from what I mentioned above with two different classes. One that is closed enrollment and ONLY accepts students from a designated "neighborhood" and those that have open enrollment and accepts students from whereever.

I don't think out of state students attending KY public schools. Private schools that is there call and the government shouldn't tell them whether to accept or not. As far as where they should compete for accepting out of state students, no different from what I mentioned above with two different classes. One that is closed enrollment and ONLY accepts students from a designated "neighborhood" and those that have open enrollment and accepts students from whereever.

You are wrong about out of state students attending public schools under tuition. That has happened in this area before. This practice was ended in Ohio for private schools in the late 80's. Prior to that, M used to have some KY faces. There is nothing wrong with restricting private institutions.

You are wrong about out of state students attending public schools under tuition. That has happened in this area before. This practice was ended in Ohio for private schools in the late 80's. Prior to that, M used to have some KY faces. There is nothing wrong with restricting private institutions.

I am saying I don't think they should. I know they do. I don't think they should. I don't think you tell a private school based on faith that they can't witness through education to a young person because they happen to live on the other side of the river.

I think you can setup divisions for like schools to compete but you don't tell them they can't.

I don't think that a private school should be able to give ANY scholarships. Are you really telling me that scholarships are given on an academic basis? That is not competing. That is telling a child's family that you can go to a school that has the best facilities money can buy for free. Of course they are going to go. This is not college. It isn't about who can go into a familie's home and put up the best sale to obtain their student athletes.

I can't speak for representatives of other private schools, but for where I am at, our school does not give scholarships to incoming students(freshmen or transfer), which by definition are merit based. The Financial aid given for tuition at my school is need based, and determined by an outside third party that has no knowledge of the students athletic ability or academic prowess. Now certian parishes and service organizations will give small scholarships to pay tuition. (usually less than $1000) Those awards are not decided by school members or administrators. The school has scholarship money for current students who meet certian criteria that apply.

I would assume that most other private schools around the state operate in a similar fashion.

Are you really telling me that scholarships are given on an academic basis?

Yes, see the financial aid information at X for an example. The top scorer from a Catholic elementary school on the admission test gets a $5,000 scholarship as long as he maintains a 3.6 and earns nothing less than a B. Only the top 5% of students on the entrance exam receive an academic scholarship, which ranges from $500 - $3,000 depending on their percentile ranking. That translates to roughly 6% - 34%.

The maximum tuition assistance via work study or grants (determined by an independent KHSAA approved body) (aside from the #1 scorer on the test from a Catholic school) is 50% annually. That still leaves $4362.50 a year per family. Then you have to factor in lunch, books and transportation.

Far from the "free" that you were getting at.

Yes, see the financial aid information at X for an example. The top scorer from a Catholic elementary school on the admission test gets a $5,000 scholarship as long as he maintains a 3.6 and earns nothing less than a B. Only the top 5% of students on the entrance exam receive an academic scholarship, which ranges from $500 - $3,000 depending on their percentile ranking. That translates to roughly 6% - 34%.

The maximum tuition assistance via work study or grants (determined by an independent KHSAA approved body) (aside from the #1 scorer on the test from a Catholic school) is 50% annually. That still leaves $4362.50 a year per family. Then you have to factor in lunch, books and transportation.

Far from the "free" that you were getting at.

So no child has ever gone to X for free that has not earned a 3.6 and has made less than a b. Come on. A friend of mine went to a Catholic school largely based on "Work Study." However, he never went to the job after the second day of it. Instead the time was used for film study and lifting.

So no child has ever gone to X for free that has not earned a 3.6 and has made less than a b. Come on. A friend of mine went to a Catholic school largely based on "Work Study." However, he never went to the job after the second day of it. Instead the time was used for film study and lifting.

Sounds like the old time UK Mens basketball jobs on the horse farms. Or the football college jobs of watching the automatic sprinkler system turn on.:D :D

Then let the public schools grow to a size that they can compete numbers wise with Trinity and X.
Well, they they would have to be at about 3,000 students ... and the prevailing opinion is, in many corners, that a school of that size is too big.

And before you give me the "school size determines student success" party line I will going only 2 hours north to Indianapolis where they have very large high schools and if I'm not mistaken Indiana schools as a whole regularly out perform Kentucky schools.
I suspect that says more about Indiana and Kentucky than the size of the schools.

When and Where??

Doesn't happen, period! Why would a Catholic School with everybody watching and waiting for any one of our faith based schools to slip up, would they allow a student/parent to do that. Never happened when I went to school, and doesn't happen now.

94, even a kid who has a 3.6 doesn't go for free. To my knowledged, based upon the 3 Catholic High Schools that I have direct experience with, no one receives more that 50% tuition from the school, whether it's an academic scholarship, need-based financial aid, or a combination of both. There is CLEAR information available on EVERY school's website, usually in the "prospective student" section. There's really no misunderstanding it.

I have no idea what the circumstances surrounding your friend's work study are, or what the school he attended was, or even the era he attended. But, as heavily scrutinized as the private schools are, I find it incredibly hard to believe any school could circumvent the rules as easily as you make it sound, let alone want to risk it.

Schools that are successful have everything to lose if such a thing occurs.

When and Where??

NKY 1984-1987. There are acomodations made, their always have been and always will be. The point is that there should be no money available. It is sactioning another method of obtaining athletes. Of course, I am sure that this money is given to 110 lb kids from low income areas that are "academically" sound. As far as I know, a public school isn't allowed to give any money off their tuition.